1. Likewise, you wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, even if any are not obedient to the Word, through the behavior of the wives they may be gained without a word,
2. Having witnessed your chaste behavior carried out with reverence;
3. Whose adorning, let it not be the external adornment of braiding the hair, or wearing gold jewelry, or dressing in costly clothing;
4. But let your adornment be the inward person of the heart, manifested in the incorruptible jewel of a meek and quiet spirit, which is of great value in God’s sight.
5. For in this way also the holy women of the past who hoped in God adorned themselves, being in subjection to their own husbands;
6. Even as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord; and you are her children, if you are doing what is right, and are not frightened by any intimidation.
7. Likewise, you husbands, dwell with your wives according to knowledge, as with a weaker vessel, giving them honor as women, and as joint heirs of the grace of life so that your prayers may not be cut off.
8. Now the goal is that all of you be of one mind, sympathizing, loving the brethren, compassionate and friendly;
9. Not rendering evil for evil, or abuse for abuse, but instead a blessing, knowing that you were called to this: that you should inherit a blessing.
10. For the one who desires to love life, and to see good days, let him restrain his own tongue from evil, and not allow his lips to speak deceit.
11. Let him avoid evil, and let him continually practice good. Let him seek peace, and let him earnestly pursue it
12. Because the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their supplications. But the face of the Lord is against those who practice evil.
13. And is there anyone who will harm you if you be followers of that which is good?
14. Now on the other hand, if you do undergo suffering for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. But you should not be afraid of their terror, and you should not let yourselves be intimidated;
16. Having a good conscience, that, whereas they may speak against you as evil doers, those who are reviling your good way of life in Christ may be ashamed.
17. For it is better, if it is the will of God, for you to suffer while doing good than to suffer for doing evil
18. Because Christ indeed once suffered for sins, the Just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God; on the one hand, He was put to death in the flesh; but on the other hand, He was made alive by the Spirit
19. By which He also went and preached to the spirits in prison,
20. Which disobeyed in a past time, when once the long-suffering of God was waiting in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few—that is, eight souls—were saved through water;
21. Of which a like fulfillment is baptism, and is now saving us—not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
22. Who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been put in subjection to Him.
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved