1. And there was a certain man of Ramathaim Zophim from the hills of Ephraim, and is name was Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephrathite.
2. And he had two wives, the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the second, Peninnah. And Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children.
3. And this man went up out of his city from year to year to worship and to sacrifice to the LORD of hosts in Shiloh. And the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, the priests of the LORD, were there.
4. And the time came that Elkanah offered, he gave portions to Peninnah his wife and to all her sons and her daughters.
5. But to Hannah he gave one double portion, for he loved Hannah. However, the LORD had shut up her womb.
6. And her foe also provoked her grievously, in order to frustrate her because the LORD had shut up her womb.
7. And as he did so year by year, when she went up to the house of the LORD, so she provoked her. And she wept and did not eat.
8. And Elkanah her husband said to her, “Hannah, why do you weep? And why do you not eat? And why is your heart grieved? Am I not better to you than ten sons?”
9. And Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh and after they had drunk. And Eli the priest sat upon the seat by the side post of the templeThis was the tabernacle as the temple of Solomon had not yet been builtof the LORD.
10. And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed to the LORD, and wept sorely.
11. And she vowed a vow and said, “O, LORD of hosts, if You will indeed look upon the affliction of Your handmaid and remember me, and not forget Your handmaid, but will give to Your handmaid a manchild, then I will give him to the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.”
12. And it came to pass as she continued praying before the LORD, Eli noticed her mouth.
13. Now Hannah spoke in her heart, only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard. And Eli thought she had become drunk.
14. And Eli said to her, “How long will you be drunken? Put away your wine from you!”
15. And Hannah answered, “No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit. I have neither drunk wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD.
16. Do not count your handmaid for a daughter of wickedness, for out of the abundance of my anxiety and grief I have spoken until now.”
17. And Eli answered and said, “Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant to you your petition that you have asked of Him.”
18. And she said, “Let your handmaid find grace in your sight.” So the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad.
19. And they rose up early in the morning and worshiped before the LORD, and returned, and came to their house to Ramah. And Elkanah knew Hannah his wife, and the LORD remembered her.
20. And it came to pass when the time had come, Hannah conceived and bore a son and called his name Samuel, saying, “Because I have asked him of the LORD.”
21. And the man Elkanah and all his house went up to offer to the LORD the yearly sacrifice and his vow.
22. But Hannah did not go up, for she said to her husband, “Until the child is weaned, and then I will bring him so that he may appear before the LORD and stay there forever.”
23. And Elkanah her husband said to her, “Do what seems good to you. Stay until you have weaned him. Only may the LORD establish His word.” So the woman stayed and gave her son suck until she weaned him.
24. And when she had weaned him, she took him up with her, with three bulls and one ephah of flour, and a skin of wine, and brought him to the house of the LORD in Shiloh. And the child was young.
25. And they killed a bull, and brought the child to Eli.
26. And she said, “O, my lord, as your soul lives, my lord, I am the woman who stood by you here, praying to the LORD;
27. For this boy I prayed, and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of Him.
28. And I have returned him to the LORD. As long as he lives, he shall be given to the LORD.” And he worshiped the LORD there.
And there wasH1961
HNcmsaof Ramathaim ZophimH7436
HNpand his nameH8034
And he hadHl
HNcmscof the oneH259
HNpand the nameH8034
HCHNcmscof the second,H8145
HCHVqp3msout of his cityH5892
HRHVtcand to sacrificeH2076
HCHRHVqcto the LORDH3068
HRHNpAnd the twoH8147
HNcmpaof the LORD,H3068
And the timeH3117
HNcfscHSp3msand to allH3605
HNcmpcHSp3fsand her daughters.H1323
But to HannahH2584
HNpHowever, the LORDH3068
HCHNphad shut upH5462
And her foeH6869
HRHNcmscto frustrate herH7481
And as he didH6213
HRHNcmscshe went upH5927
HVqcHSp3fsto the houseH1004
HRHNcmscof the LORD,H3068
HTmshe provoked her.H3707
HVhi3fsHSp3fsAnd she weptH1058
HCHVqw3fsand did notH3808
HRHTido you weep?H1058
HCHRHTido you notH3808
HCHRHTiis your heartH3824
HRthey had eatenH398
HCHRthey had drunk.H8354
HRthe side postH4201
HNcfscof the templeH1964
HNcmscof the LORD.H3068
And she vowedH5087
HCYou will indeedH7200
HVqi2msupon the afflictionH6040
HRHNcmscof Your handmaidH519
HNcfscHSp2msand remember me,H2142
HNcfscHSp2msbut will giveH5414
HCHVqq2msto Your handmaidH519
HNcmpathen I will give himH5414
HCHVqq1csHSp3msto the LORDH3068
HNcmpcof his life,H2416
HNcmpcHSp3msand there shall noH3808
HVqrfpabut her voiceH6963
HCHVqw3msHSp3fsshe had become drunk.H7910
HNcfsaof a sorrowfulH7186
HNcbsaI have neitherH3808
HCHNcmsanor strong drink,H7941
HCHNcmsabut have poured outH8210
HNcmsafor out of the abundanceH7230
HRHNcbscof my anxietyH7879
HCHNcmscHSp1csI have spokenH1696
HRHNcmsaand the GodH430
HToto youyour petitionH7596
HTryou have askedH7592
And she said,H559
HCHVqw3fs"Let your handmaidH8198
HNcmsain your sight."H5869
HRHNcbdcHSp2msSo the womanH802
HCHVqw3fsand her faceH6440
And they rose up earlyH7925
HCHVhw3mpin the morningH1242
HNcfscHSp3msand the LORDH3068
And it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3mswhen the timeH3117
HCI have asked himH7592
HVqp1csHSp3msof the LORD."H3068
And the manH376
HRHVqcto the LORDH3068
HVqp3fsto her husband,H376
HVNi3msand then I will bring himH935
HCHVhq1csHSp3msso that he may appearH7200
HTdHAamsato you. StayH3427
HRyou have weanedH1580
HTamay the LORDH3068
HNcmscHSp3msSo the womanH802
HToand gave her sonH1121
HRHTrshe had weaned him,H1580
HVqp3fsHSp3msshe took him upH5927
HNcmsaand a skinH5035
HNcmsaand brought himH935
HCHVhw3fsHSp3msto the houseH1004
HNcmscof the LORDH3068
HNpAnd the childH5288
And she said,H559
HVtp1csand the LORDH3068
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved