1. And it came to pass when David and his men had come to Ziklag on the third day, the Amalekites had invaded the south and Ziklag, and had struck Ziklag, and burned it with fire.
2. And they had seized the women in it. They did not kill any, either small or great, but carried them away and went on their way.
3. And David and his men came to the city, and behold, it was burned with fire, and their wives and their sons and their daughters had been taken captives.
4. Then David and the people with him lifted up their voice and wept, until they had no more power to weep.
5. And David’s two wives had been seized, Ahinoam of Jezreel, and Abigail, the former wife of Nabal of Carmel.
6. And it greatly distressed David, for the people spoke of stoning him because the soul of all the people was grieved, each one for his sons and for his daughters. But David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.
7. And David said to Abiathar the priest, Ahimelech’s son, “Please bring the ephod here to me.” And Abiathar brought the ephod there to David.
8. And David inquired of the LORD, saying, “Shall I go after this troop? Shall I overtake them?” And He answered him, “Go! For you shall surely overtake and will without fail recover all.”
9. So David went, he and the six hundred men that were with him, and came to the brook Besor, where those who were left behind stayed.
10. But David pursued, he and four hundred men, for two hundred stayed behind, who were too exhausted to go over the brook Besor.
11. And they found an Egyptian in the field and brought him to David and gave him bread, and he ate. And they made him drink water.
12. And they gave him a piece of a cake of figs and two clusters of raisins. Now when he had eaten, his spirit came again to him, for he had eaten no bread nor drunk water for three days and three nights.
13. And David said to him, “To whom do you belong? And where do you come from?” And he said, “I am an Egyptian youth, servant to an Amalekite. And my master left me because three days ago I fell sick.
14. We raided the area south of the Cherethites, in the territory belonging to Judah, and upon the south of Caleb. And we burned Ziklag with fire.”
15. And David said to him, “Can you bring me down to this company?” And he said, “Swear to me by God that you will neither kill me nor deliver me into the hands of my master, and I will bring you down to this company.”
16. And when he had brought him down, behold, they were spread abroad upon all the earth, eating and drinking and dancing because of all the great spoil that they had taken out of the land of the Philistines and out of the land of Judah.
17. And David struck them from the twilight until the evening of the next day. And not a man of them escaped, except four hundred young men who rode upon camels and fled.
18. And David recovered all that the Amalekites had carried away. And David rescued his two wives.
19. And nothing was lacking to them, from the small to the great, even to sons and daughters, and from the spoil, even to all that they had taken to themselves. David recovered all.
20. And David took all the flock, and the herd. They drove on before those cattle. And they said, “This is David’s spoil.”
21. And David came to the two hundred who were too exhausted to follow David, whom they had made also to stay at the brook Besor. And they went out to meet David, and to meet the people with him. And when David came up to the people, he greeted them.
22. And every evil and worthless man of the men who went with David answered and said, “Because they did not go with us, we will not give them any thing from the spoil that we have seized, except to every man his wife and his sons. Let them take them, and go.”
23. And David said, “My brothers, you shall not do so with that which the LORD has given us, for He has protected us and has delivered into our hand the company that came against us;
24. For who will listen to you in this matter? But as his part is that goes down to the battle, so shall be his part that stays by the provisions. They shall divide alike.”
25. And it was so, from that day forward he made it a statute and an ordinance for Israel to this day.
26. And David came to Ziklag, and sent some of the spoil to the elders of Judah, to his friends, saying, “Behold, a present for you from the spoil of the enemies of the LORD”:
27. To the ones in Bethel, and to the ones in Ramoth of the south, and to the ones in Jattir,
28. And to the ones in Aroer, and to the ones in Siphmoth, and to the ones in Eshtemoa,
29. And to the ones in Rachal, and to the ones in the cities of the Jerahmeelites, and to the ones in the cities of the Kenites,
30. And to the ones in Hormah, and to the ones in Chorashan, and to the ones in Athach,
31. And to the ones in Hebron, and to all the places where David had gone up and down, he and his men.
And it came to passH1961
HNpand his menH376
HNpon the thirdH7992
HNpand had struckH5221
And they had seizedH7617
HRHSp3fsThey did notH3808
HAamsabut carried them awayH5090
HCHVqw3mpon their way.H1870
HNpand his menH376
HRdHNcbsaand their wivesH802
HCHNcfpcHSp3mpand their sonsH1121
HCHNcmpcHSp3mpand their daughtersH1323
HCHNcfpcHSp3mphad been taken captives.H7617
HNpand the peopleH5971
HNcfpchad been seized,H7617
HCHNpthe former wifeH802
And it greatlyH3966
HCHVtw3mshimself in the LORDH3068
HTdHNcmsahere to me."Hl
HCHVqw3msof the LORD,H3068
HRHVqc"Shall I goH7291
HTdHNcmsaShall I overtakeH5381
HTiHVhi1csHSp3msthem?" And He answeredH559
HCyou shall surelyH5381
HVhi2msand will without failH5337
HPp3msand the sixH8337
HRHSp3mshim, and cameH935
HTdHNpwhere those who were left behindH3498
HNcmsafor two hundredH3967
HTrwere too exhaustedH6296
HVpp3cpto go overH5674
And they foundH4672
HNgmsain the fieldH7704
HNcbsaand he ate.H398
HCHVqw3msAnd they made him drinkH8248
And they gaveH5414
HNcfscof a cakeH1690
HNcfsaof figs and twoH8147
HCHAcmdcclusters of raisins.H6778
HNcmpaNow when he had eaten,H398
HChe had eatenH398
HPp2msbelong? And whereH335
HRHPdxmsdo you come from?"H859
HPp2msAnd he said,H559
HNcmsato an Amalekite.H376
HNgmsaAnd my masterH113
HCago I fell sick.H2470
HVqp1cpthe area southH5045
HNcmscof the Cherethites,H3774
HTrthe territory belonging to Judah,H3063
HRHSp3ms"Can you bring meH3381
HTdHNcmsaAnd he said,H559
HRHNcmpathat you will neitherH518
HVhi2msHSp1csinto the handsH3027
HRHNcbscof my master,H113
HNcmscHSp1csand I will bring youH3381
And when he had brought him down,H3381
HCHTmthey werespread abroadH5203
HCHVqrmpabecause of allH3605
HTdHNcmsathat they had takenH3947
HVqp3cpout of the landH776
HCHRHNcbscof the PhilistinesH6430
HNgmpaand out of the landH776
HCHVhw3msHSp3mpthem from the twilightH5399
HTdHNcmsaof the next day.H4283
HNphad carried away.H3947
HTrfrom the spoil,H7998
HNcmscthat they had takenH3947
HRHSp3mpto themselves. DavidH1732
HTdHNcbsaand the herd.H1241
HTdHNcmsaAnd they said,H559
HRthe two hundredH3967
HTrwere too exhaustedH6296
HNpwhom they had made also to stayH3427
HCHVhw3mpHSp3mpat the brookH5158
HTdHNpAnd they went outH3318
HNpand to meetH7122
HRHSp3msAnd when DavidH1732
HToto the people,H5971
HNcmsaof the menH376
HTrthey did notH3808
HRHSp1cswe will notH3808
HRHSp3mpany thing from the spoilH7998
HTrwe have seized,H5337
HCto every manH376
HNcmpcHSp3msLet them takeH5090
HCHVqi3mpthem, and go."H3212
HNcmpcHSp1csyou shall notH3808
HRHSp1cpfor He has protectedH8104
HToHSp1cpand has deliveredH5414
HCHVqw3msinto our handH3027
HRHSp2mpin this matter?H1697
HRHNcmsaisthat goes downH3381
HTdHVqrmsato the battle,H4421
HRdHNcfsaso shall be his partH2506
HTdHNcmpaThey shall divideH2505
And it wasH1961
HCHVqw3msso, from thatH1931
HCHVqw3msHSp3fsit a statuteH2706
HRHNcmsaand an ordinanceH4941
HCHVpw3mssome of the spoilH7998
HRHTdHNcmsato the eldersH2205
HNpto his friends,H7453
HRHSp2mpfrom the spoilH7998
HRHNcmscof the enemiesH341
HVqrmpcof the LORD":H3068
And to the onesH834
HRHNpand to the onesH834
HCHRHTrin the citiesH5892
HRHNcfpcof the Jerahmeelites,H3397
HTdHNgmsaand to the onesH834
HCHRHTrin the citiesH5892
HRHNcfpcof the Kenites,H7017
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved