1. Now it came to pass after this, Absalom prepared himself chariots and horses and fifty men to run before him.
2. And Absalom rose up early and stood beside the way of the gate. Now it was so, if any man had a suit to come before the king for judgment, then Absalom called to him and said, “What city are you from?” And he said, “Your servant is of one of the tribes of Israel.”
3. And Absalom said to him, “See! Your matters are good and right, but no one from the king will hear you.”
4. And Absalom said, “Oh, that I might be made judge in the land, so that every man who has any suit or cause might come to me, and I would do him justice!”
5. And it was so, when any man came near to bow down to him, he put forth his hand and took him and kissed him.
6. And in this way Absalom did to all Israel that came to the king for judgment. And Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel.
7. Now it came to pass at the end of four years, Absalom said to the king, “Please let me go and pay my vow which I have vowed to the LORD in Hebron,
8. For your servant vowed a vow while I lived at Geshur in Syria, saying, ‘If the LORD will indeed bring me again to Jerusalem, then I will serve the LORD.’ ”
9. And the king said to him, “Go in peace.” And he arose and went to Hebron.
10. But Absalom sent spies throughout all the tribes of Israel, saying, “As soon as you hear the sound of the ram’s horn, then you shall say, ‘Absalom reigns in Hebron!’ ”
11. And with Absalom went two hundred men invited out of Jerusalem. And they went in their innocence and did not know anything.
12. And Absalom sent for Ahithophel of Giloh, David’s counselor, from his city Giloh, while he offered sacrifices. And the conspiracy was strong, for the people with Absalom grew more and more.
13. And a messenger came to David saying, “The hearts of the men of Israel are after Absalom.”
14. And David said to all his servants with him at Jerusalem, “Arise, and let us flee! For otherwise we shall not escape from Absalom. Make haste to depart, lest he overtake us suddenly and bring evil upon us, and strike the city with the edge of the sword.”
15. And the king’s servants said to the king, “Behold, your servants will do whatever my lord the king shall choose.”
16. And the king went forth, and all his household after him. And the king left ten women, concubines, to keep the house.
17. Then the king went forth, and all the people after him and stayed in a place that was far off.
18. And all his servants passed on beside him. And all the Cherethites,and all the
Pelethites, and all the Gittites, six hundred men who came after him from Gath, passed on before the king.
19. Then the king said to Ittai the Gittite, “Why do you also go with us? Return to your place, and stay with the king, for you are a stranger, and also an exile.
20. Since you came only yesterday,should I make you go up and down with us today? Since I am going wherever I may go, you may return and take back your brothers. May mercy and truth be with you.”
21. And Ittai answered the king and said, “As the LORD lives, and as my lord the king lives, surely in whatever place my lord the king shall be, whether in death or life, even there also will your servant be.”
22. And David said to Ittai, “Go and pass over.” Then Ittai the Gittite passed over, and all his men, and all the little ones with him.
23. And all the country wept with a loud voice, and all the people passed over. The king imself also passed over the brook Kidron and all the people passed over toward the way of the wilderness.
24. And lo, Zadok came also, and all the Levites were with him, carrying the ark of the covenant of God. And they set down the ark of God. And Abiathar went up until all the people had finished passing out of the city.
25. And the king said to Zadok, “Carry the ark of God back into the city. If I shall find favor in the eyes of the LORD,He will bring me again and show it to me, and its dwelling place also.
26. But if He says this, ‘I have no delight in you;’ behold me, and let Him do to me as seems good to Him.”
27. The king also said to Zadok the priest, “Are you a seer? Return to the city in peace, and your two sons with you. Ahimaaz your son, and Jonathan the son of Abiathar.
28. Behold, I will wait in the plain of the wilderness until there comes word from you to tell me.”
29. And Zadok and Abiathar carried the ark of God again to Jerusalem. And they remained there.
30. And David went up by the ascent of Mount Olivet. And he wept as he went up, and had his head covered, and he went barefoot. And of all the people with him, each man covered his head. And they went up, weeping as they went.
31. And one told David, saying, “Ahithophel is among the conspirators with Absalom.” And David said, “O LORD, I pray You, turn the advice of Ahithophel to foolishness.”
32. Now it came to pass when David had come to the top, where he worshiped God, behold, Hushai the Archite came to meet him with his coat torn and earth upon his head.
33. David said to him, “If you pass on with me, then you shall be a burden to me.
34. But if you return to the city and say to Absalom, ‘I will be your servant, O king; I have been your father’s servant until now, and now I also will be your servant,’ then you may defeat the advice of Ahithophel for me.
35. And do you not have there with you Zadok and Abiathar the priests? And it shall be, hatever you shall hear out of the king’s house, you shall tell it to Zadok and Abiathar the priests.
36. Behold, they have their two sons there with them, Ahimaaz, Zadok’s son, and Jonathan, Abiathar’s son. And you shall send to me everything that you hear by them.”
37. And David’s friend Hushai came to the city. And Absalom came into Jerusalem.
Now it came to passH1961
HNprose up earlyH7925
HNcbscof the gate.H8179
HTdHNcmsaNow it wasH1961
HCHVqw3msso, if anyH3605
HRHPdxmsAnd he said,H559
HNcmscHSp2msis of oneH259
HRHAcmscof the tribesH7626
HTithat I might be madeH7760
HVqrmsain the land,H776
HRdHNcbsaso that everyH3605
HCHRHSp1csand I would do him justice!"H6663
And it wasH1961
HCHVqp3msso, when any manH376
HRHVqcto bow downH7812
HRHSp3mshe put forthH7971
And in thisH2088
HNcmscof the menH376
Now it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3msat the endH7093
HTjlet me goH3212
HTrI have vowedH5087
HVqp1csto the LORDH3068
HNcmsawhile I livedH3427
HVqabring me againH7725
HNpthen I will serveH5647
HRHVqc"As soon as you hearH8085
HNcmscof the ram's horn,H7782
HTdHNcmsathen you shall say,H559
HRHNpAnd they wentH1980
HCHVqrmpain their innocenceH8537
HRHNcmscHSp3mpand did notH3808
HVqrmscfrom his cityH5892
HRHNpwhile he offeredH2076
HTdHNcmpaAnd the conspiracyH7195
HAamsafor the peopleH5971
HVqv2mpand let us flee!H1272
HChe overtake usH5381
HTdHNcfsawith the edgeH6310
HRHNcmscof the sword."H2719
And the king'sH4428
And the kingH4428
HRHNcfdcHSp3msAnd the kingH4428
Then the kingH4428
HVqv2msto your place,H4725
HCHVqv2mswith the king,H4428
Since you cameH935
HPp1csmake you goH3212
HRHVqcup and downH5128
HTrI may go,H1980
HVqrmsayou may returnH7725
HVqv2msand take backH7725
HCHNcfsabe with you."H5973
HCHVqw3ms"As the LORDH3068
HAamsaand as my lordH113
HDalso will your servantH5650
HVqv2msand pass over."H5674
HCHNcmscthe little onesH2945
HCHTdHNcmsahimself also passed overH5674
HToof the wilderness.H4057
HNcbscof the covenantH1285
HTdHNcmpaAnd they set downH3332
And the kingH4428
HTdHNcmpaback into the city.H5892
HCI shall findH4672
HNcmsain the eyesH5869
HRHNcbdcof the LORD,H3068
HNpHe will bring me againH7725
HCHVhp3msHSp1csand show itH7200
HCHToits dwelling placeH5116
HVqi3msthis, 'I have noH3808
HTmHSp1csand let Him doH6213
HVqv2msHSdto the cityH5892
HRHNcmsaand your twoH8147
HVfrmsain the plainH6160
HRHNcfpcof the wildernessH4057
HVqrmsaby the ascentH4608
HRHNcmscof Mount Olivet.H2132
HTdHNcmpaAnd he weptH1058
HCHVqrmsaas he went up,H5927
HVqrmsaand had hisHl
HAamsaAnd of allH3605
HNcmscHSp3msAnd they went up,H5927
HCHVqaas they went.H5927
And one toldH5046
HNpisamong the conspiratorsH7194
HNpI pray You,H4994
HToturn the adviceH6098
Now it came to passH1961
HTdHNgmsacame to meet himH7125
HRHVqcHSp3mswith his coatH3801
HVqi2msto the cityH5892
HPp1cswill beyour servant,H5650
HCHPp1csalso will be your servant,'H5650
HNcmscHSp2msthen you may defeatH6565
And do you notH3808
HTdHNcmpaAnd it shall be,H1961
HTryou shall hearH8085
HVqi2msout of the king'sH4428
HRHNcmscyou shall tellH5046
HVhi2msit to ZadokH6659
HTmthey havetheir twoH8147
HRHNpson, and Jonathan,H3083
HRHNpson. And you shall sendH7971
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved