1. Now in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a complaint by the Greeks against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
2. And after calling the multitude of disciples to them, the twelve said, “It is not proper for us to leave the Word of God in order to wait on tables.
3. Therefore, brethren, search out from among yourselves seven men of good repute, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business;
4. But we will give ourselves continually to prayer and the ministry of the Word.”
5. And this declaration was pleasing to all the multitude; and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit; and Philip; and Prochorus; and Nicanor; and Timon; and Parmenas; and Nicolas, who was a proselyte of Antioch.
6. And they set them before the apostles; and after praying, they laid their hands on them.
7. And the Word of God spread, and the number of the disciples in Jerusalem was multiplied exceedingly, and a great multitude of the priests were obedient to the faith.
8. And Stephen, full of faith and power, worked wonders and great signs among the people.
9. Then certain arose among those of the synagogue who were called Libertines, and of the Cyrenians and Alexandrians, and of those from Cilicia and Asia; and they were disputing with Stephen.
10. But they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spoke.
11. Then they suborned men, who said, “We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and against God.”
12. And they stirred up the people and the elders and the scribes; and they came and seized him, and brought him into the Sanhedrin.
13. Then they set up false witnesses, who said, “This man does not cease to speak blasphemous words against this holy place and the law;
14. For we heard him saying that this Jesus, the Nazarean, will destroy this place, and will change the customs that Moses delivered to us.”
15. And all those who sat in the Sanhedrin, looking intently at him, saw his face as the face of an angel.
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved