1. So I returned, and considered all the oppressions that are done under the sun. And behold the tears of the oppressed ones, and they had no comforter! And on the side of those who oppressed them there was power, but they had no comforter.
2. Wherefore I praised the dead who already have died, more than the living who are yet alive.
3. Yea, better than both is he who has not yet been, who has not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.
4. Again, I considered all labor, and every excellent work, that it is a rivalry between a man and his neighbor. This is also vanity and a striving after wind.
5. The fool folds his hands together, and devours his own flesh. 6. Better is a handful with quietness, than both the hands full with travail and striving after wind.
7. And I returned and saw vanity under the sun:
8. There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he has neither son nor brother; yet there is no end to all his labor; and his eyes are not satisfied with riches; neither does he say, “For whom do I labor and deprive my soul of pleasure?” This is also vanity. Yea, it is a grievous task.
9. Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor.
10. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow; but woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he does not have another to help him.
11. Again, if two lie together, then they have warmth; but how can one be warm alone?
12. And a man may prevail against him who is alone, yet two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
13. A poor and a wise child is better than an old and foolish king, who knows not how to receive admonition any more.
14. For out of prison he comes to reign; although in his kingdom he was born poor.
15. I saw all the living who walk under the sun, that they were with the second child who shall stand up in his place.
16. There is no end of all the people, of all whom he did lead; they also who come afterward shall not rejoice in him. Surely this also is vanity and a striving after wind.
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved