1. Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus (this is the Ahasuerus who reigned from India even to Ethiopia, over a hundred and twenty-seven provinces),
2. In those days, when King Ahasuerus sat upon the throne of his kingdom in Shushan the palace,
3. In the third year of his reign, he made a feast for all his princes and his servants; the army of Persia and Media, the nobles and princes of the provinces, were before him,
4. When he showed the riches of his glorious kingdom and the splendor of his excellent majesty many days—a hundred and eighty days.
5. And when these days had expired, the king made a feast for all the people who were present in Shushan the palace, both great and small, for seven days in the court of the garden of the king’s palace.
6. White, green, and blue hangings were fastened with cords of fine linen and purple on silver rods and pillars of marble. The couches were of gold and silver, on a pavement of red and white, and pearl, and black marble.
7. And they served them drinks in vessels of gold, the vessels being different from one another, and royal wine in abundance, according to the hand of the king.
8. And the drinking was according to the law, no one was compelled, for so the king had commanded every chief of his house that they should do according to every man’s pleasure.
9. Also Vashti the queen made a feast for the women in the royal house which elonged to King Ahasuerus.
10. On the seventh day, when the heart of the king was merry with wine, he commanded Mehuman, Biztha, Harbona, Bigtha, and Abagtha, Zethar, and Carcas, the seven officers who served in the presence of Ahasuerus the king,
11. To bring Vashti the queen before the king with the royal crown, in order to show the people and the princes her beauty, for she was lovely to look upon.
12. But Queen Vashti refused to come at the king’s command by his officers. And the king was very angry, and his anger burned within him.
13. And the king said to the wise men who knew the times (for so was the king’s manner toward all who knew law and judgment;
14. And next to him were Carshena, Shethar, Admatha, Tarshish, Meres, Marsena and Memucan, the seven princes of Persia and Media who saw the king’s face, who sat first in the kingdom):
15. “What shall we do with Queen Vashti according to law, because she has not done the command of the King Ahasuerus by the officers?”
16. And Memucan answered before the king and princes, “Vashti the queen has not only done wrong to the king, but also to all the princes, and to all the people who are in all the provinces of King Ahasuerus.
17. For the deed of the queen shall go out to all women, so that their husbands shall be despised in their eyes, and it shall be reported that King Ahasuerus commanded to bring Vashti the queen in before him, but she did not come.
18. And this day the princesses of Persia and Media shall say the same to all the king’s princes who have heard of the deed of the queen. And there will be too much contempt and strife.
19. If it please the king, let there be a royal command from him, and let it be written among the laws of the Persians and the Medes, so that it may not be changed, that Vashti shall come no more before King Ahasuerus. And let the king give her royal state to another who is better than she is.
20. And when the king’s decree which he shall make shall be published throughout all his empire (for it is great), all the wives shall give their husbands honor, both the great and small.”
21. And the saying pleased the king and the princes. And the king did according to the word of Memucan.
22. For he sent letters into all the king’s provinces, into every province according to the writing of it, and to every people in their language, so that every man should bear rule in his own house, and it was published according to the language of every people.
Now it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3msin the daysH3117
HNcmscof his kingdomH4438
In the thirdH7969
HRHNcfscof his reign,H4427
HNcmpcHSp3msand his servants;H5650
HCHNcmpcof the provinces,H4082
When he showedH7200
HNcmscof his gloriousH3519
HNcmscof his excellentH8597
And when theseH428
HTdHNcmsawho were presentH4672
HNcmpain the courtH2691
HRHNcbscof the gardenH1594
HNcfscof the king'sH4428
HCHNcfsahangings were fastenedH270
HRHNcbpcof fine linenH948
HNcfpcwere of goldH2091
HCHNcmsaand black marble.H5508
And they served them drinksH8248
HVqrmpafrom one another,H3627
HAamsaaccording to the handH3027
HRHNcbscof the king.H4428
And the drinkingH8360
HCHTdHNcfsawasaccording to the law,H1881
HNcmscof his houseH1004
HNcmscHSp3msthat they should doH6213
HRHVqcaccording to everyH376
HNcmscfor the womenH802
HNcfpain the royalH4438
HTrbelonged to KingH4428
On the seventhH7637
HRdHNcmsawhen the heartH3820
HNcmscof the kingH4428
HTdHNcmsawith the royalH4438
HRHNcmscin order to showH7200
HTdHNcmpaand the princesH8269
HAafscto look upon.H4758
HRHVqcat the king'sH4428
HTdHNcmpaAnd the kingH4428
HCHVqw3msand his angerH2534
And the kingH4428
HCHVqw3msto the wise menH2450
HDwas the king'sH4428
HAafsain the kingdom):H4438
HTishall we doH6213
HNpaccording to law,H1881
HTrshe has notH3808
HNcmscof the KingH4428
HNcmscof the queenH4436
HTdHNcfsashall go outH3318
HTdHNcfpaso that their husbandsH1167
HNcmpcHSp3fpshall be despisedH959
HRHVhcin their eyes,H5869
HRHNcbdcHSp3fpand it shall be reportedH559
HTdHNcfsain before him,H6440
HRHNcbpcHSp3msbut she did notH3808
HVqi3fpthe same to allH3605
HToof the deedH1697
HNcmscof the queen.H4436
HTdHNcfsaAnd there will be too muchH1767
HTdHNcmsalet there beH3318
HRHRHNcbpcHSp3msand let it be writtenH3789
HCHVNi3msamong the lawsH1881
HRHNcfpcof the PersiansH6539
HNpand the Medes,H4074
HCHNpso that it may notH3808
HNpAnd let the kingH4428
HVqi3msher royal stateH4438
HRHNcfscHSp3fswho is betterH2896
HTdHAafsathan she is.H4480
And when the king'sH4428
HTrhe shall makeH6213
HVqi3msshall be publishedH8085
HNcmsaboth the greatH1419
And the sayingH1697
HTdHNcmsaand the princes.H8269
HCHTdHNcmpaAnd the kingH4428
HCHVqw3msaccording to the wordH1697
For he sentH7971
HNcfsaaccording to the writingH3791
HCHNcmsain their language,H3956
HRHNcbscHSp3msso that everyH3605
HVqrmsain his own house,H1004
HRHNcmscHSp3msand it was publishedH1696
HCHVprmsaaccording to the languageH3956
HRHNcbscof every people.H5971
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved