1. Then Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, “I have gotten a man from the LORD.”
2. And she bore again, his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
4. And Abel also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat of it. And the LORD had regard unto Abel and his offering,
5. But He did not have regard unto Cain and his offering. And Cain was extremely angry and his countenance fell.
8. And Cain talked with his brother Abel. And it came to pass that when they were in the field, Cain rose up against his brother Abel and killed him.
9. And the LORD said unto Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?” And he said, “I do not know. Am I my brother’s keeper?”
10. And He said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother’s blood cries to Me from the ground.
11. And now you are cursed from the earth, which opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand.
12. When you till the ground, it shall no longer yield its strength to you, and you shall be a wanderer and a fugitive upon the earth.”
13. And Cain said to the LORD, “My punishment is greater than I can bear.
14. Behold, You have driven me out from the face of the earth today, and I shall be hidden from Your face. And I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer in the earth, and it shall be that anyone who finds me shall kill me.”
15. And the LORD said to him, “Therefore whoever kills Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold.” And the LORD set a mark upon Cain so that anyone who found him should not kill him.
16. And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD and lived in the land of Nod, Nod means wandering to the east of Eden.
17. And Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch; and he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son, Enoch.
18. And Irad was born to Enoch. And Irad begat Mehujael, and Mehujael begat Methusael, and Methusael begat Lamech.
19. And Lamech took two wives to himself: the name of the first one was Adah, and the name of the other was Zillah.
20. And Adah bore Jabal; he was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock.
21. And his brother’s name was Jubal; he was the father of all those who corruptly play the lyre and the pipe.
22. And Zillah also bore Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron. implements for killing and war And the sister of Tubal-Cain was Naamah.
23. And Lamech said to his wives, Adah and Zillah, “Hear my voice, wives of Lamech, hearken to my words, for I have killed a man because he wounded me, a young man because he hurt me;
24. For if Cain is avenged seven times, then truly Lamech is avenged seventy-seven times.”
25. And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and called his name Seth, for she said, “God has appointed me another seed in place of Abel, whom Cain killed.”
26. And there was also a son born to Seth, and he called his name Enos. At that time men began to call upon the name of the LORD An equally valid translation could read: “At that time men
began to call themselves after the name of the LORD.”
This is undoubtedly a reference to the mighty men of
old who called themselves gods and incorporated the
names of the LORD into their own names and titles. .
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved