1. And the famine was severe in the land.
2. And it came to pass, when they had eaten up the grain which they had brought out of Egypt, their father said to them, “Go again, buy us a little food.”
3. And Judah spoke to him, saying, “The man solemnly protested to us, saying, ‘You shall not see my face unless your brother is with you.’
4. If you will send our brother with us, we will go down and buy you food.
5. But if you will not send him, we will not go down, for the man said to us, ‘You shall not see my face unless your brother is with you.’ ”
6. And Israel said, “Why have you dealt ill with me to tell the man whether you had yet a brother?”
7. And they said, “The man asked us strictly of our state and of our kindred, saying, ‘Is your father still alive? Have you yet another brother?’ And we told him according to the tenor of these words. Could we in any way know that he would say, ‘Bring your brother down’?”
8. And Judah said to Israel his father, “Send the boy with me, and we will arise and go, so that we may live and not die, both we and you, also our little ones.
9. I will be surety for him. You shall require him of my hand. If I do not bring him to you and set him before you, I shall be a sinner against you all the days,
10. For if we had not delayed, surely by now we would have returned the second time.”
11. And their father Israel said to them, “If it be so now, do this. Take of the best fruits of the land in your vessels and bring a present down to the man, a little balm, and a little honey, spices, and myrrh, pistachio nuts, and almonds.
12. And take double silver in your hand, and the silver that was brought again in the mouth of your sacks, carry it again in your hand. Perhaps it was an oversight.
13. Take also your brother and arise; go again to the man.
14. And God Almighty give you mercy before the man, so that he may send away your other brother and Benjamin. If I am bereaved, then I am bereaved.”
15. And the men took that present, and they took double silver in their hand, and Benjamin. And they rose up and went down to Egypt, and stood before Joseph.
16. And when Joseph saw Benjamin with them, he said to the ruler of his house, “Bring the men into the house, and slaughter an animal and make ready, for the men shall dine with me at noon.”
17. And the man did as Joseph said. And the man brought the men into Joseph’s house.
18. And the men were afraid because they were brought into Joseph’s house. And they said, “Because of the silver that was returned in our sacks at the first time we are brought in that he may seek something against us, and fall upon us, and take us for slaves, and our donkeys.”
19. And they came near to the man over Joseph’s house and they talked with him at the door of the house,
20. And said, “Oh sir, we indeed came down the first time to buy food.
21. And it came to pass, when we came to the inn, that we opened our sacks, and, behold, every man’s silver was in the mouth of his sack, our silver in full weight. And we have brought it again in our hands.
22. And we have brought down other silver in our hands to buy food. We cannot tell who put our silver in our sacks.”
23. And he said, “Peace to you, do not fear. Your God, and the God of your father, has given you treasure in your sacks. I had your silver.” And he brought Simeon out to them.
24. Then the man brought the men into Joseph’s house and gave them water, and they washed their feet. And he gave fodder to their donkeys.
25. And they made ready the presents for the coming of Joseph at noon, for they heard that they should eat bread there.
26. And when Joseph came home, they brought him the presents in their hands into the house, and bowed themselves to him to the earth.
27. And he asked them as to their welfare, and said, “Is your father well, the old man of whom you spoke? Is he still alive?”
28. And they answered, “Your servant, our father, is in good health. He is still alive.” And they bowed down their heads and fell before him.
29. And he lifted up his eyes and saw his brother Benjamin, his mother’s son, and said, “Is this your younger brother of whom you spoke to me?” And he said, “God bless you, my son.”
30. And Joseph made haste, for his heart yearned for his brother. And he sought a place to weep. And he entered into his room and wept there.
31. And he washed his face and went out, and controlled himself, and said, “Serve the food.”
32. And they served him by himself, and them by themselves, and the Egyptians who ate with him by themselves because the Egyptians may not eat bread with the Hebrews, for that is an abomination to the Egyptians.
33. And they sat before him, the firstborn according to his birthright, and the youngest according to his youth. And the men marveled at one another.
34. And one took portions to them from before him. But Benjamin’s portion was five times as much as any of theirs. And they drank, and were merry with him.
And it came to pass,H1961
HRHTrthey had eaten upH3615
HTrthey had brought outH935
HRHVqc'You shall notH3808
HCHCyou will notH369
HVprmsahim, we will notH3808
HRHSp1cp'You shall notH3808
And they said,H559
HVqp3msof our state and of our kindred,H4138
HRHVqc'Is your fatherH1
HRHSp2mpyet another brother?'H251
HNcmsaAnd we toldH5046
HTdHNcmpaCould we in any wayH3045
HChe would say,H559
HRHSp1csand we will ariseH6965
HCHVqh1cpso that we may liveH2421
HTaour little ones.H2945
HPp1cswill be surety for him.H6148
HVqi1csHSp3msYou shall require himH1245
HVpi2msHSp3msof my hand.H3027
HCI do notH3808
HRHSp2msand set himH3322
HRHNcbpcHSp2msI shall be a sinnerH2398
And their fatherH1
HVqv2mpof the best fruitsH2173
HRHNcfscof the landH776
HTdHNcbsain your vesselsH3627
HRHNcmpcHSp2mpand bring a presentH4503
HCHVhv2mpto the man,H376
HNcmsaand a littleH4592
HCHNcmscin your hand,H3027
HTdHNcmsathat was brought againH7725
HTdHVHsmsain the mouthH6310
HRHNcmscof your sacks,H572
HVhi2mpin your hand.H3027
HDit was an oversight.H4870
HTdHNcmsaso that he may send awayH7971
HVqp1csthenI am bereaved."H7921
And the menH376
HTdHNcfsaand they tookH3947
HNcmsain their hand,H3027
HNpAnd they rose upH6965
HCHVqw3mpand went downH3381
And when JosephH3130
HCHVqw3msto the rulerH834
HTdHNcmpainto the house,H1004
HNcmsaand make ready,H3559
And the menH376
HCHVqw3mpbecause they were broughtH935
HNcmscAnd they said,H559
HTdHNcmsathat was returnedH7725
HTdHVqrmsain our sacksH572
HRHNcfpcHSp1cpat the first timeH8462
HPp1cpare brought inH935
HChe may seekH1556
HRHVrcsomething against us,H5921
And they came nearH5066
HNcmscand they talkedH1696
HRHSp3msat the doorH6607
HNcmscof the house,H1004
And it came to pass,H1961
HTdHNcmsathat we openedH6605
HNcmscwasin the mouthH6310
HRHNcmscof his sack,H572
HNcmscHSp1cpin full weight.H4948
HRHNcmscHSp3msAnd we have broughtH7725
HToHSp3msagain in our hands.H3027
And we have brought downH3381
HCHNcmsain our handsH3027
HNcmscHSp1cpin our sacks."H572
And he said,H559
HNcmpcHSp2mpand the GodH430
HCHNcmpcof your father,H1
HNcmsain your sacks.H572
HToAnd he brought SimeonH8095
Then the manH376
HNcmpaand they washedH7364
HNcfdcHSp3mpAnd he gaveH5414
HNcmsato their donkeys.H2543
And they made readyH3559
HCthey should eatH398
And when JosephH3130
HTrin their handsH3027
HRHNcbscHSp3mpinto the house,H1004
HCHVtw3mpthemselves to himHl
HRHSp3msto the earth.H776
And he askedH7592
HRHSp3mpas to their welfare,H7965
HCHVqw3ms"Is your fatherH1
HTiHNcmsathe old manH2205
And they answered,H559
HRHNcmscHSp1cpisin good health.H7965
HNcmsaHe is stillH5750
HAamsaAnd they bowed down their headsH6915
HCHVqw3mpand fell before him.H7812
And he lifted upH5375
HRHSp1csAnd he said,H559
HNcmscHSp3msAnd he soughtH1245
HCHVpw3msa place to weep.H1058
HRHVqcAnd he enteredH935
HCHVqw3msinto his roomH2315
And they servedH7760
HRHNcmscHSp3mpand the EgyptiansH4713
HPp3fsis an abominationH8441
HNcfsato the Egyptians.H4713
And they satH3427
HTdHNcmsaaccording to his birthright,H1062
HRHNcbscHSp3msand the youngestH6810
HCHTdHAamsaaccording to his youth.H6812
HRHNcfscHSp3msAnd the menH376
And one tookH5375
HNcbpaas much asH7235
HCHVqw3fsany of theirs.H3605
HRHNcfpcAnd they drank,H8354
HCHVqw3mpand were merryH7937
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved