1. In the seventh month, in the twenty-first day of the month, the Word of the LORD came by the prophet Haggai, saying,
2. “Now speak to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and to the remnant of the people, saying,
3. ‘Who is left among you who saw this temple in her first glory? And how do you see it now? In comparison, is it not in your eyes as nothing?
4. Yet now be strong, O Zerubbabel,’ says the LORD. ‘And be strong, O Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest; and be strong all you people of the land,’ says the LORD, ‘and work; for I am with you,’ says the LORD of hosts.
5. ‘According to the word that I covenanted with you when you came out of Egypt, so My Spirit remains among you. Do not fear.’
6. For thus says the LORD of hosts, ‘Once again—it is yet a little while—I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land.
7. And I will shake all the nations; and the desire of all nations shall come; and I will fill this house with glory,’ says the LORD of hosts.
8. ‘The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine,’ says the LORD of hosts.
9. ‘The glory of this latter temple shall be greater than that of the former,’ says the LORD of hosts. ‘And in this place I will give peace,’ says the LORD of hosts.”
10. In the twenty-fourth day of the ninth month, in the second year of Darius, the word of the LORD came by Haggai the prophet, saying,
11. “Thus says the LORD of hosts, ‘Now ask the priests concerning the law, saying,
12. “If one carries holy flesh in the skirt of his garment, and touches his skirt to bread, or boiled food, or wine, or oil, or any food, will it also become holy?” ‘ ” And the priests answered and said, “No.”
13. Then Haggai said, “If one who is unclean by a dead body touches any of these, shall it also be unclean?” And the priests answered and said, “It shall be unclean.”
14. And Haggai answered and said, ” ‘So is this people, and so is this nation before Me,’ says the LORD. ‘And so is every work of their hands; and that which they offer there is unclean.
15. And now, I ask you, consider from this day and onward—from before the placing of a stone upon a stone in the temple of the LORD.
16. How that one came expecting a heap of twenty measures, and there were but ten; one came to the wine vat to draw off fifty measures from the winepress, and there were but twenty.
17. I struck you with blight and with mildew, and with hail, in all the labors of your hands; yet you did not return to Me,’ says the LORD.
18. ‘Now consider from this day and forward, from the twenty-fourth day of the ninth month, from the day that the foundation of the LORD’S temple was laid, consider this:
19. Is the seed still in the barn? Yea, as yet the vine, and the fig tree, and the pomegranate, and the olive tree have not brought forth. From this day forward I will bless you.’ ”
20. And a second time the Word of the LORD came to Haggai in the twenty-fourth day of the month, saying,
21. “Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying, ‘I will shake the heavens and the earth.
22. And I will overthrow the throne of the kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the nations. And I will overthrow the chariots and their riders. And the horses and their riders shall come down, each one by the sword of his brother.
23. In that day,’ says the LORD of hosts, ‘I will take you, O Zerubbabel, My servant, the son of Shealtiel,’ says the LORD, ‘and will make you like a signet ring; for I have chosen you,’ says the LORD of hosts.”
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved