2. He was in the beginning with God.
3. All things came into being through Him, and not even one thing that was created came into being without Him.
4. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
5. And the light shines in the darkness, but the darkness does not comprehend it.
6. There was a man sent by God, whose name was John.
7. He came for a witness, that he might testify concerning the light, so that through him all might believe.
8. He was not the light, but came that he might testify concerning the light.
9. The true light was that which enlightens everyone who comes into the world.
11. He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him;
12. But as many as received Him, to them He gave authority to become the children of God, even to those who believe in His name;
13. Who were not begotten by bloodlines, nor by the will of the flesh, nor by the will of man, but by the will of God.
15. John testified concerning Him, and proclaimed, saying, “This was He of Whom I said, ‘He Who comes after me has precedence over me because He was before me.’ ”
18. No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, Who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
20. Then he freely admitted, and did not deny, but declared, “I am not the Christ.”
21. And they asked him, “Then who are you? Are you Elijah?” And he said, “I am not.” Then they asked, “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.”
22. Therefore, they said to him, “Who are you? What do you say about yourself so that we may give an answer to those who sent us?”
23. He said, “I am a voice crying in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’ as Isaiah the prophet said.”
24. Now those who had been sent belonged to the sect of the Pharisees,
25. And they asked him, saying to him, “Why then are you baptizing, if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?”
26. John answered them, saying, “I baptize with water, but there is One Who stands among you Whom you do not know.
27. He it is Who comes after me, but Who has precedence over me; of Whom I am not worthy to loose the thong of His sandal.”
28. These things took place in Bethabara across the Jordan, where John was baptizing.
30. He is the One concerning Whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man Who has precedence over me, because He was before me.’
31. And I did not know Him; but that He might be manifested to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.”
32. And John testified, saying, “I myself beheld the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and it remained upon Him.
33. And I did not know Him before; but He Who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon Whom you shall see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, He is the One Who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’
34. And I have seen, and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.”
35. On the next day, John was again standing there, and two of his disciples with him.
37. And the two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus.
38. Now when Jesus turned and saw them following, He said to them,
40. He said to them, “Come and see.” They went and saw where He was dwelling, and they remained with Him that day. Now it was about the tenth hour.
41. Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, was one of the two who heard this from John and followed Him.
43. And he led him to Jesus. And when He saw him, Jesus said, “You are Simon, the son of Jona. You shall be called Cephas” (which is, being interpreted, “a stone”).
44. On the next day, Jesus desired to go into Galilee; and He found Philip and said to him, “Follow Me.”
45. Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.
47. And Nathanael said to him, “Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and see.”
48. Jesus saw Nathanael coming to Him, and said concerning him, “Behold, truly an Israelite in whom there is no guile.”
49. Nathanael said to Him, “How did you know me?” Jesus answered and said to him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.”
50. Nathanael answered and said to Him, “Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel.”
51. Jesus answered and said to him, “Because I told you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? Greater things than these shall you see.”
52. And He said to him, “Truly, truly I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God descending to and ascending from the Son of man.”
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved