1. And these are they of the children of Israel who inherited in the land of Canaan, whom Eleazar the priest and Joshua the son of Nun, and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel, gave out for inheritance to them.
2. Their inheritance was by lot, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses, for the nine tribes and for the half tribe,
3. For Moses had given the inheritance of two tribes and a half tribe on the other side of Jordan. But to the Levites he gave no inheritance among them,
4. For the children of Joseph were two tribes, Manasseh and Ephraim. And they gave no part to the Levites in the land, except cities to live in with their suburbs for their cattle and for their substance.
5. As the LORD commanded Moses, so the children of Israel did, and they divided the land.
6. Then the children of Judah came to Joshua in Gilgal. And Caleb, the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite, said to him, “You know the thing that the LORD said to Moses the man of God in Kadesh Barnea regarding you and me.
7. I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadesh Barnea to spy out the land. And I brought him word again as it was in my heart.
8. Nevertheless, my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt, yet I fully followed the LORD my God.
9. And Moses swore on that day, saying, ‘Surely the land on which your feet have trodden shall be your inheritance, and your children’s forever because you have wholly followed the LORD my God.’
10. And now, behold, the LORD has kept me alive these forty-five years as He said, even since the LORD spoke this word to Moses, while Israel wandered in the wilderness. And now, lo, I am eighty-five years old today.
11. As yet I am as strong today as I was in the day that Moses sent me. As my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out and to come in.
12. And now give me this mountain of which the LORD spoke on that day, for you heard in that day how the Anakim were there, and that the cities were great and fortified. If the LORD will be with me, then I will be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.”
13. And Joshua blessed him, and gave Hebron to Caleb the son of Jephunneh for an inheritance.
14. And Hebron became the inheritance of Caleb, the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite, to this day because he fully followed the LORD God of Israel.
15. And the name of Hebron before was Kirjath Arba; that one was a great man among the Anakim. And the land had rest from war.
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved