1. Now Jephthah, the Gileadite, was a mighty man of war. And he was the son of a harlot. And Gilead begat Jephthah.
2. And Gilead’s wife bore him sons. And his wife’s sons grew up, and they threw Jephthah out and said to him, “You shall not inherit in our father’s house, for you are the son of another woman.”
3. Then Jephthah fled from his brothers and lived in the land of Tob. And worthless men were gathered to Jephthah, and went out with him.
4. And it came to pass after some time that the children of Ammon made war against Israel.
5. And when the children of Ammon made war against Israel, the elders of Gilead went to bring Jephthah out of the land of Tob.
6. And they said to Jephthah, “Come and be our commander, so that we may fight against the children of Ammon.”
7. And Jephthah said to the elders of Gilead, “Have you not hated me and thrown me out of my father’s house? Why have you come to me now when you are in trouble?”
8. And the elders of Gilead said to Jephthah, “For this reason we turn again to you now, so that you may go with us and fight against the children of Ammon, and be our head over all the people of Gilead.”
9. And Jephthah said to the elders of Gilead, “If you bring me home again to fight against the children of Ammon, and the LORD delivers them before me, shall I indeed be your head?”
10. And the elders of Gilead said to Jephthah, “The LORD is witness between us if we do not do so according to your word.”
11. And Jephthah went with the elders of Gilead, and the people made him head and commander over them. And Jephthah uttered all his words before the LORD in Mizpeh.
12. And Jephthah sent messengers to the king of the children of Ammon, saying, “What have you to do with me, that you have come against me to fight in my land?”
13. And the king of the children of Ammon answered to the messengers of Jephthah, “Because Israel took away my land when they came up out of Egypt, from Arnon even to Jabbok and to Jordan. Now therefore restore those lands peaceably.”
14. And Jephthah sent messengers again to the king of the children of Ammon.
15. And he said to him, “So says Jephthah, ‘Israel did not take away the land of Moab, nor the land of the children of Ammon.
16. But when they came up from Egypt, Israel walked through the wilderness to the Red Sea and came to Kadesh.
17. And Israel sent messengers to the king of Edom, saying, “I pray you, let me pass through your land.” But the king of Edom would not listen. And in the same way they sent to the king of Moab, but he would not consent. And Israel stayed in Kadesh.
18. And they went along through the wilderness, and went around the land of Edom and the land of Moab, and came by the east side of the land of Moab and pitched on the other side of Arnon, but they did not come within the border of Moab; for Arnon was the border of Moab.
19. And Israel sent messengers to Sihon king of the Amorites, the king of Heshbon. And Israel said to him, “We pray you, let us pass through your land to my place.”
20. But Sihon did not trust Israel to pass through his border, so Sihon gathered all his people together and pitched in Jahaz, and fought against Israel.
21. And the LORD God of Israel delivered Sihon and all his people into the hand of Israel, and they struck them. So Israel possessed all the land of the Amorites, who lived in that country.
22. And they possessed all the borders of the Amorites from Arnon even to Jabbok and from the wilderness even to Jordan.
23. So now the LORD God of Israel has put out the Amorites before His people Israel, and should you possess it?
24. Will you not possess that which Chemosh your god gives you to possess? So whomever the LORD our God shall drive out from before us, we will possess them.
25. And now are you any better than Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab? Did he ever strive against Israel, or did he ever fight against them
26. When Israel lived in Heshbon and its villages, and Aroer and its villages, and in all the cities which are along by the borders of Arnon, for three hundred years? Why then did you not deliver them in that time?
27. Therefore, I have not sinned against you, but you do me wrong to war against me. The LORD, the Judge, will judge this day between the children of Israel and the children of Ammon.’ ”
28. And the king of the children of Ammon did not hearken to the words of Jephthah which he sent to him.
29. Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead passed over to the children of Ammon.
30. And Jephthah vowed a vow to the LORD, and said, “If You will indeed give the children of Ammon into my hand,
31. Then it shall be that whatever comes out from the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, surely it shall belong to the LORD, or I will offer it up instead of a burnt offering.”
32. And Jephthah passed over to the children of Ammon to fight against them. And the LORD delivered them into his hand.
33. And he struck them from Aroer even until you come to Minnith, twenty cities, and to the meadow of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. So were the children of Ammon subdued before the children of Israel.
34. And Jephthah came to Mizpeh to his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with drums and with dances. And she was his only child. Besides her he had neither son nor daughter.
35. And it came to pass when he saw her, he tore his clothes and said, “Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low, and you are one of those who trouble me, for I have opened my mouth to the LORD, and I cannot go back.”
36. And she said to him, “My father, if you have opened your mouth to the LORD, do to me according to that which has come out of your mouth because the LORD has taken vengeance for you upon your enemies, even of the children of Ammon.”
37. And she said to her father, “Let this thing be done for me. Let me alone two months, so that I may go up and down upon the mountains and weep for my virginity, I and my companions.”
38. And he said, “Go.” And he sent her away for two months. And she went with her companions and wept for her virginity upon the mountains.
39. And it came to pass at the end of two months she returned to her father, who did to her his vow which he had vowed. And she knew no man. And it is a custom in Israel,
40. That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite, four days in a year.
HVqp3msa mighty manH1368
HNcmscof a harlot.H802
HNcmpaAnd his wife'sH802
HCHVqw3mpand they threwH1644
HNpout and saidH559
HVqi2msin our father'sH1
HCyou are the sonH1121
HCHVqw3msin the landH776
HNpand went outH3318
HNpout of the landH776
And they saidH559
HRHNcmsaso that we may fightH3898
HCHVNh1cpagainst the childrenH1121
HCHVqw3msto the eldersH2205
HToHSp1csand thrown me outH1644
HCHVpw2mpHSp1csof my father'sH1
HCHDhave you comeH935
And the eldersH2205
HNp"For this reasonH3651
HRHDwe turn againH7725
HDso that you may goH1980
HCHVNq2msagainst the childrenH1121
HRHVNcagainst the childrenH1121
HNpand the LORDH3068
And the eldersH2205
HCwe do notH3808
HTmaccording to your word."H1697
HNpand the peopleH5971
HNcmscof the childrenH1121
HCHRHSp2msto do with me,Hl
HCyou have comeH935
HRHVNcin my land?"H776
And the kingH4428
HNcmscof the childrenH1121
HNcbscHSp1cswhen they came upH5927
HRHVqcHSp3msout of Egypt,H4714
And he saidH559
HNcbscof the childrenH1121
HCwhen they came upH5927
HCHVqw3msthrough the wildernessH4057
HTjyou, let me pass throughH5674
HVqp3msAnd in the same way they sentH7971
HNpbut he wouldH14
HCHTnconsent. And IsraelH3478
And they went alongH3212
HCHVqw3msthrough the wilderness,H4057
HNpand the landH776
HCHVqw3msby the east sideH4217
HNcbsaof the landH776
HCHVqw3mpHSnon the other sideH5676
HNpbut they did notH3808
HVqp3cpwithin the borderH1366
HNpwas the borderH1366
HNcmscof the Amorites,H567
HTjyou, let us pass throughH5674
HNpto pass throughH5674
HNcmscHSp3mstogether and pitchedH2583
And the LORDH3068
HNcmscHSp3msinto the handH3027
HNpand they struck them.H5221
HNcbscof the Amorites,H567
And they possessedH3423
HNcmscof the AmoritesH567
HNphas put outH3423
HNpand should youH859
Will you notH3808
HNcmpcHSp1cpshall drive outH3423
HVhp3msfrom before us,H6440
HRHNcbpcHSp1cpwe will possessH3423
HNpDid he everH7378
HCdid he everH3898
HRHNpand its villages,H1323
HCHRHNpand its villages,H1323
HCHRHNcfpcHSp3fsand in allH3605
HRby the bordersH3027
HCHTithen did you notH3808
HVhp2mpthem in thatH1931
Then the SpiritH7307
HNcbscof the LORDH3068
HNpand he passed overH5674
HNpand passed overH5674
HNpand from MizpehH4708
HNcmsato the LORD,H3068
HCYou will indeedH5414
HNpinto my hand,H3027
Then it shall beH1961
HVqi3msfrom the doorsH1817
HRHNcfdcof my houseH1004
HNcmscHSp1csto meet meH7125
HRHVqcHSp1cswhen I returnH7725
HRHNcmsafrom the childrenH1121
HNpsurely it shall belongH1961
HCHVqq3msto the LORD,H3068
HRHNpor I will offer it upH5927
HCHVhq1csHSp3msinstead ofa burnt offering."H5930
HRHSp3mpAnd the LORDH3068
HCHVqw3msHSp3mpinto his hand.H3027
And he struck themH5221
HCHRthe meadow of the vineyards,H64
HNpwith a veryH3966
HNcfsaSo were the childrenH1121
HTdHNpto his house,H1004
HVqrfsato meet himH7125
HRHNcmpaand with dances.H4246
And it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3mswhen he sawH7200
HNcfscHSp1csYou have brought meH3766
HVqp2fsone of those who trouble me,H5916
HNpand I cannotH3808
And she saidH559
HNcmscHSp1csif you have openedH6475
HRHSp1csaccording to that whichH834
HRHTrhas come outH3318
HVqp3msof your mouthH6310
HRHSp2msupon your enemies,H341
HRHVqrmpcHSp2mseven of the childrenH1121
And she saidH559
HRHSp1csLet me aloneH7503
HRHSp1csI may go upH3212
HPp1csand my companions."H7464
And he said,H559
HVqv2fsAnd he sentH7971
HToHSp3fsaway for twoH8147
HCHVqw3fswith her companionsH7464
And it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3msat the endH7093
HNcmscHSp3mswhich he had vowed.H5087
HNcmsaAnd it isH1961
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved