1. And the LORD spoke to Moses after the death of the two sons of Aaron, when they offered before the LORD and they died.
2. And the LORD said to Moses, “Speak to Aaron your brother, that he does not come at all times into the sanctuary within the veil before the mercy seat, which is on the ark, so that he does not die, for I will appear in the cloud over the mercy seat.
3. Aaron shall come into the sanctuary this way: with a young bull, for a sin offering, and a ram for a burnt offering.
4. He shall put on the holy linen coat, and he shall have the linen breeches on his flesh, and shall be girded with a linen girdle, and with the linen miter he shall be dressed. These are holy garments. And he shall wash his flesh in water and put them on.
5. And he shall take from the congregation of the children of Israel two kids of the goats for a sin offering, and one ram for a burnt offering.
6. And Aaron shall offer his young bull of the sin offering which is for himself, and make an atonement for himself and for his house.
7. And he shall take the two goats and present them before the LORD at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
8. And Aaron shall cast lots on the two goats; one lot for the LORD and the other lot for Azazel.
9. And Aaron shall bring the goat on which the LORD’S lot fell, and offer it for a sin offering.
10. But the goat on which the lot fell for Azazel shall be presented alive before the LORD, to make an atonement upon it and sent away into the wilderness for Azazel.
11. And Aaron shall bring the young bull of the sin offering which is for himself, and shall make an atonement for himself and for his house, and shall kill the young bull of the sin offering which is for himself.
12. And he shall take a censer full of coals of fire from off the altar before the LORD, and his hands full of fragrant incense beaten small, and bring it within the veil.
13. And he shall put the incense on the fire before the LORD. And the cloud of the incense shall cover the mercy seat that is on the testimony. And he shall not die.
14. And he shall take of the blood of the young bull and shall sprinkle with his finger on the front of the mercy seat eastward. And he shall sprinkle at the front of the mercy seat seven times from the blood with his finger.
15. Then he shall kill the goat of the sin offering that is for the people, and bring its blood inside the veil. And he shall do with that blood as he did with the blood of the young bull, and sprinkle it on the mercy seat and before the mercy seat.
16. And he shall make an atonement for the sanctuary because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel and because of their transgressions in all their sins. And so he shall do for the tabernacle of the congregation which remains with them in the midst of their uncleanness.
17. And there shall be no man in the tabernacle of the congregation when he goes in to make an atonement in the sanctuary until he comes out and has made an atonement for himself, and for his household, and for all the congregation of Israel.
18. And he shall go out to the altar that is before the LORD and make an atonement for it. And he shall take of the blood of the young bull and of the blood of the goat, and put it on the horns of the altar all around.
19. And he shall sprinkle of the blood on it with his finger seven times and cleanse it, and hallow it from the uncleanness of the children of Israel.
20. And when he has made an end of reconciling the sanctuary and the tabernacle of the congregation and the altar, he shall bring the live goat.
21. And Aaron shall lay both his hands on the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the sins of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them on the head of the goat, and shall send it away by the hand of a chosen man into the wilderness.
22. And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities to a land in which no one lives. And he shall let the goat go in the wilderness.
23. And Aaron shall come into the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall strip off the linen garments which he put on when he went into the sanctuary, and shall leave them there.
24. And he shall wash his flesh with water in the holy place, and put on his garments, and come forth and offer his burnt offering and the burnt offering of the people, and make an atonement for himself and for the people.
25. And the fat of the sin offering shall he burn upon the altar.
26. And he that let go the goat for Azazel shall wash his clothes and bathe his flesh in water, and afterward come into the camp.
27. And the young bull for the sin offering and the goat for the sin offering, whose blood was brought in to make atonement in the holy place, shall they carry forth outside the camp. And they shall burn their skins in the fire, and their flesh and their dung.
28. And he who burns them shall wash his clothes and bathe his flesh in water, and afterward he shall come into the camp.
29. And it shall be a statute forever to you: in the seventh month, on the tenth of the month, you shall afflict your souls and do no work at all, whether it be one of your own country or a stranger who is living among you,
30. For on that day an atonement shall be made for you, to cleanse you, so that you may be clean from all your sins before the LORD.
31. It shall be a Sabbath of rest to you, and you shall afflict your souls, by a statute forever.
32. And the priest whom he shall anoint, and whom he shall consecrate to minister in the priest’s office in his father’s stead, shall make the atonement and shall put on the linen clothes, the holy garments.
33. And he shall make an atonement for the holy sanctuary, and he shall make an atonement for the tabernacle of the congregation, and for the altar; and he shall make an atonement for the priests and for all the people of the congregation.
34. And this shall be an everlasting statute to you, to make an atonement for the children of Israel for their sins once a year.” And he did as the LORD commanded Moses.
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved