1. Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all the demons, and to heal diseases;
2. And He sent them to proclaim the kingdom of God, and to heal those who were sick.
3. And He said to them, “Take nothing for the journey—neither staffs, nor provision bag, nor bread, nor money, nor two coats apiece.
4. And whatever house you may enter, lodge there and go forth from there.
5. But whoever will not receive you, as you are departing from that city, shake off even the dust from your feet for a testimony against them.”
6. Then they went out and passed through the villages, preaching the gospel and healing everywhere.
7. Now Herod the tetrarch heard of all the things that were being done by Him; and he was perplexed because it was said by some that John had been raised from the dead,
8. And by some that Elijah had appeared, and by others that one of the ancient prophets had arisen.
9. And Herod said, “I beheaded John, but Who is this about Whom I hear such things?” And he desired to see Him.
10. Now when they returned, the apostles related to Him everything they had done. Then He took them and withdrew privately into a desert place of a city called Bethsaida.
11. And when the multitudes knew it, they followed Him; and He received them and spoke to them about the kingdom of God, and He healed those who had need of healing.
12. But when the day began to decline, the twelve came to Him and said, “Dismiss the multitude, so that they may go into the villages and the country round about, and may find lodging and provisions; for we are here in a desert place.”
13. Then He said to them, “You give them something to eat.” But they said, “There is nothing more than five loaves and two fish with us, unless we go and buy food for all the people.”
14. For there were about five thousand men. Then He said to His disciples, “Make them sit in companies by fifties.”
15. And they did so, and made everyone sit down.
16. Then He took the five loaves and the two fish; and looking up into heaven, He blessed them and broke them, and gave them to the disciples to set before the multitude.
17. And they ate, and everyone was satisfied; and that which was left by them was taken up, twelve baskets full.
18. Now it came to pass as He was praying alone, and the twelve disciples were with Him, that He questioned them, saying, “Who do the multitudes declare Me to be?”
19. And they answered and said, “Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and others, that some prophet from ancient times has risen from the dead.”
20. Then He said to them, “But Who do you declare Me to be?” And Peter answered and said, “The Christ of God.”
21. And He charged them, strictly forbidding them to tell this to anyone,
22. Saying, “It is necessary for the Son of man to suffer many things, and to be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and to be killed, and to be raised the third day.”
23. Then He said to all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and let him take up his cross daily, and let him follow Me;
24. For whoever desires to save his life shall lose it; but whoever will lose his life for My sake shall save it.
25. For what is a man profited by gaining the whole world, if he himself is lost or destroyed?
26. For whoever shall be ashamed of Me and My words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed when He comes in His own glory, and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.
27. But I tell you in truth, there are some of those standing here who shall not taste of death until they have seen the kingdom of God.”
28. Now it came to pass about eight days after these words, that He took Peter and John and James and went up into the mountain to pray.
29. And it came to pass that as He prayed, the appearance of His face was changed, and His clothing became radiantly white.
30. And suddenly two men appeared, talking with Him; they were Moses and Elijah,
31. Who appeared in glory and spoke of His departure, which He was about to accomplish in Jerusalem.
32. But Peter and those with him were heavy with sleep; and when they were fully awake, they saw His glory, and the two men who were standing with Him.
33. And it came to pass that, as these were departing from Him, Peter said to Jesus, “Master, it is good for us to be here; now let us make three tabernacles, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah”— not realizing what he was saying.
34. But as he was saying these things, a cloud came and overshadowed them, and they feared as those three entered into the cloud.
35. Then a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My Son, the Beloved. Listen to Him!”
36. And as the voice ended, Jesus was found alone. And they kept silent, and told no one in those days of anything that they had seen.
37. Now it came to pass that on the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, a great multitude met Him.
38. And a man in the crowd immediately cried out, saying, “Master, I beseech You, look upon my son, because he is my only child;
39. And a spirit takes him, and he suddenly cries out; and it throws him into convulsions with foaming, and then departs from him with difficulty, leaving him bruised.
40. And I besought Your disciples, that they might cast it out; but they were not able.”
41. Then Jesus answered and said, “O faithless and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you, and bear with you? Bring your son here.”
42. And as he was approaching, the demon flung him down and threw him into convulsions. But Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, and healed the child, and gave him back to his father.
43. And all were astonished at the majesty of God. And while everyone was wondering about all the things that Jesus had done, He said to His disciples.
44. “Let these words sink deep into your ears, for the Son of man is about to be delivered into the hands of men.”
45. But they did not understand this saying; for it was concealed from them, so that they would not perceive it. And they were afraid to ask Him about this saying.
46. Then an argument arose among them which was this: who would be the greatest among them.
47. And when Jesus perceived the thoughts of their hearts, He took hold of a little child and set it by Him,
48. And said to them, “Whoever shall receive this little child in My name receives Me; and whoever shall receive Me receives Him Who sent Me. For the one who is least among you all shall be great.”
49. Then John answered and said, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name, and we forbad him because he does not follow with us.”
50. But Jesus said to him, “Do not forbid him, because everyone who is not against us is for us.”
51. Now it came to pass, when the days were being fulfilled that He should be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem.
52. And He sent messengers before His face. And as they went, they came to a village of Samaritans to prepare for Him;
53. But they did not receive Him, because His face was as if He were going to Jerusalem.
54. And seeing this, His disciples James and John said, “Lord, will You have us call fire to come down from heaven and consume them, as Elijah did?”
55. But He turned and rebuked them, and said, “You do not understand of what spirit you are.
56. For the Son of man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.” And they went to another village.
57. Now it came to pass that as they were going along the road, someone said to Him, “I will follow You wherever You may go, Lord.”
58. But Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes, and the birds of heaven have nests; but the Son of man does not have any place to lay His head.”
59. Then He said to another, “Follow Me.” And he said, “Lord, allow me first to go and bury my father.”
60. But Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God.”
61. And another also said, “I will follow You, Lord, but allow me first to bid farewell to those who are at my house.”
62. But Jesus said to him, “No one who sets his hand to the plow, and looks back at the things behind, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved