1. Now it came to pass, when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and Geshem the Arabian, and the rest of our enemies heard that I had built the wall, and that there was no breach left in it (though at that time I had not set the doors on the gates),
2. That Sanballat and Geshem sent to me, saying, “Come, let us meet together in one of the villages in the plain of Ono.” But they thought to do me harm.
3. And I sent messengers to them, saying, “I am doing a great work, so I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and come down to you?”
4. And they sent to me this word fourtimes. And I answered them in the same way.
5. Then Sanballat sent his servant to me in the same way the fifth time with an open letter in his hand, in which was written,
6. “It is reported among the nations, and Gashmu says it, that you and the Jews are thinking of rebelling, for this reason you build the wall, so that you may be their king, according to these words.
7. And you have also set up prophets to proclaim of you at Jerusalem, saying, ‘There is a king in Judah.’ And now it shall be reported to the king according to these words. And now come and let us talk it over together.”
8. And I sent to him saying, “There are no such things done as you say, but you are inventing them in your own mind,”
9. For they all were trying to make us afraid, saying, “Their hands shall be weakened from the work so that it may not be done.” Now therefore, O God, make my hands strong.
10. And I came to the house of Shemaiah, the son of Delaiah the son of Mehetabel, who was shut up. And he said, “Let us meet together in the house of God, inside the temple, and let us shut the doors of the temple, for they will come to kill you. Yea, in the night they will come to kill you.”
11. And I said, “Should such a man as I flee? And who, being as I am, would go into the temple to save his life? I will not go in.”
12. And, behold, I discerned that God had not sent him, but that he said this prophecy against me because Tobiah and Sanballat had hired him.
13. Therefore he was hired that I should be made afraid, and do so, and I should sin, and then they would give me a bad name to discredit me.
14. Remember, O my God, Tobiah and Sanballat according to these their works, and on the prophetess Noadiah, and the rest of the prophets who would have put me in fear.
15. And the wall was finished in the twenty-fifth day of Elul, in fifty-two days.
16. And it came to pass when all our enemies heard, and all the nations around us saw these things, they lost confidence in their own eyes, for they perceived that this work was done by our God.
17. And in those days the nobles of Judah sent many letters to Tobiah; and Tobiah’s letters came to them,
18. For many in Judah were sworn to him because he was the son-in-law of Shechaniah the son of Arah, and his son Jehohanan had married the daughter of Meshullam the son of Berechiah.
19. Also they spoke of his good deeds before me and told my words to him. Tobiah sent letters to put me in fear.
Now it came to pass,H1961
HTdHNgmsaand the restH3499
HCHRHNcmscof our enemiesH341
HCI had builtH1129
HTdHNcfsaand that there was noH3808
HTdHNcbsaI had notH3808
HNcfpaon the gates),H8179
HVqv2msHShlet us meetH3259
HDin one of the villagesH3715
HRdHNcmpain the plainH1237
And I sentH7971
HRHVqc"I am doingH6213
HRHTishould the workH4399
HRHTrI leave itH7503
HVhi1csHSp3fsand come downH3381
HNcfsawith an openH6605
HCHNcfscin his hand,H3027
"It is reportedH8085
HVNp3msamong the nations,H1471
HVqrmsait, that youH859
HPp2msand the JewsH3064
HRHVqcfor this reasonH5921
HTdHNcfsaso that youH859
HRHNcmsaaccording to theseH428
And you have alsoH1571
HRHVqc'There is a kingH4428
HCHDit shall be reportedH8085
HVNi3msto the kingH4428
HRdHNcmsaaccording to theseH428
HVqv2msHShand let us talkH3289
HCHVNh1cpit over together."H3162
And I sentH7971
HRHVqc"There are noH3808
HPp2msare inventing themH908
HVqrmscHSp3mpin your own mind,"H3820
HNcmscHSp3mpwere trying to make usH853
HNcbdcHSp3mpshall be weakenedH7503
HTdHNcfsaso that it may notH3808
HToO God, make my handsH3027
HVqp1csto the houseH1004
HVqsmsaAnd he said,H559
HCHVqw3ms"Let us meet togetherH3259
HTdHNcmsaand let us shutH5462
HNcfpcof the temple,H1964
HCthey will comeH935
HVqrmpato kill you.H2026
HRHVqcHSp2msYea, in the nightH3915
HCHNcmsathey will comeH935
HVqrmpato kill you."H2026
And I said,H559
HTrbeing as I am, would goH935
HTdHNcmsato save his life?H2425
HCHVqq3msI will notH3808
HCHNphad hired him.H7936
HRI should be made afraid,H3372
HTmand I should sin,H2398
HCHVqq1csand then they would giveH1961
HVqv2msHShO my God,H430
HCHRHNpaccording to theseH428
HRHNpand the restH3499
HCHRHNcmscof the prophetsH5030
And it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3mpthese things, they lostH5307
HDin their own eyes,H5869
HRHNcbdcHSp3mpfor they perceivedH3045
HNpand his sonH1121
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved