- 1. And there was a certain man of
Ramathaim Zophim from the hills of
Ephraim, and his name was Elkanah, the
son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son
of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephrathite.
- 2. And he had two wives, the name of the
one was Hannah, and the name of the
second, Peninnah. And Peninnah had
children, but Hannah had no children.
- 3. And this man went up out of his city
from year to year to worship and to sacrifice
to the LORD of hosts in Shiloh.
And the two sons of Eli, Hophni and
Phinehas, the priests of the LORD, were
- 4. And the time came that Elkanah offered,
he gave portions to Peninnah his
wife and to all her sons and her daughters.
- 5. But to Hannah he gave one double
portion, for he loved Hannah. However,
the LORD had shut up her womb.
- 6. And her foe also provoked her grievously,
in order to frustrate her because
the LORD had shut up her womb.
- 7. And as he did so year by year, when
she went up to the house of the LORD, so
she provoked her. And she wept and did
- 8. And Elkanah her husband said to her,
“Hannah, why do you weep? And why
do you not eat? And why is your heart
grieved? Am I not better to you than ten
- 9. And Hannah rose up after they had
eaten in Shiloh and after they had drunk.
And Eli the priest sat upon the seat by the
side post of the temple
This was the tabernacle as the temple
of Solomon had not yet been builtof the LORD.
- 10. And she was in bitterness of soul,
and prayed to the LORD, and wept sorely.
- 11. And she vowed a vow and said, “O,
LORD of hosts, if You will indeed look
upon the affliction of Your handmaid
and remember me, and not forget Your
handmaid, but will give to Your handmaid
a manchild, then I will give him to
the LORD all the days of his life, and
there shall no razor come upon his head.”
- 12. And it came to pass as she continued
praying before the LORD, Eli noticed her
- 13. Now Hannah spoke in her heart, only
her lips moved, but her voice was not
heard. And Eli thought she had become
- 14. And Eli said to her, “How long will
you be drunken? Put away your wine
- 15. And Hannah answered, “No, my
lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit.
I have neither drunk wine nor strong
drink, but have poured out my soul before
- 16. Do not count your handmaid for a
daughter of wickedness, for out of the
abundance of my anxiety and grief I have
spoken until now.”
- 17. And Eli answered and said, “Go in
peace, and the God of Israel grant to you
your petition that you have asked of
- 18. And she said, “Let your handmaid
find grace in your sight.” So the woman
went her way and ate, and her face was
no longer sad.
- 19. And they rose up early in the morning
and worshiped before the LORD,
and returned, and came to their house to
Ramah. And Elkanah knew Hannah his
wife, and the LORD remembered her.
- 20. And it came to pass when the time
had come, Hannah conceived and bore a
son and called his name Samuel, saying,
“Because I have asked him of the
- 21. And the man Elkanah and all his
house went up to offer to the LORD the
yearly sacrifice and his vow.
- 22. But Hannah did not go up, for she
said to her husband, “Until the child is
weaned, and then I will bring him so that
he may appear before the LORD and stay
- 23. And Elkanah her husband said to her,
“Do what seems good to you. Stay until
you have weaned him. Only may the
LORD establish His word.” So the
woman stayed and gave her son suck
until she weaned him.
- 24. And when she had weaned him, she
took him up with her, with three bulls
and one ephah of flour, and a skin of
wine, and brought him to the house of
the LORD in Shiloh. And the child was
- 25. And they killed a bull, and brought
the child to Eli.
- 26. And she said, “O, my lord, as your
soul lives, my lord, I am the woman who
stood by you here, praying to the LORD;
- 27. For this boy I prayed, and the LORD
has given me my petition which I asked
- 28. And I have returned him to the
LORD. As long as he lives, he shall be
given to the LORD.” And he worshiped
the LORD there.
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved