1. Then Satan stood up against Israel and provoked David to number Israel.
2. And David said to Joab and to the rulers of the people, “Go number Israel from Beersheba to Dan. And bring the number of them to me so that I may know.”
3. And Joab answered, “May the LORD add to His people a hundred times, but my lord the king, are they not all my lord’s servants? Why then does my lord require this thing? Why will he be a cause of trespass to Israel?”
4. But the king’s word prevailed against Joab. And Joab departed and went up and down all Israel, and came again to Jerusalem.
5. And Joab gave the sum of the number of the people to David. And in all Israel there were one million and a hundred thousand men who drew the sword. And in Judah were four hundred and seventy thousand men who drew the sword.
6. But Levi and Benjamin he did not count among them, for the king’s word was abominable to Joab.
7. And God was displeased with this thing; therefore He struck Israel.
8. And David said to God, “I have sinned greatly because I have done this thing. But now, I beseech You, remove the iniquity of Your servant for I have done very foolishly.”
9. And the LORD spoke to Gad, David’s seer, saying,
10. “Go and tell David, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD: “I offer you three things. Choose one of them so that I may do it to you.” ‘ ”
11. And Gad came to David and said to him, “Thus says the LORD, ‘Choose for yourself:
12. Either three years of famine, or three months to be swept away before your foes, while the sword of your enemies overtakes you, or else three days of the sword of the LORD, even the plague in the land, and the angel of the LORD destroying throughout all the border of Israel.’ And now say what word I shall bring again to Him Who sent me.”
13. And David said to Gad, “I am in great distress. Let me fall now into the hand of the LORD, for His mercies are very great. But do not let me fall into the hand of man.”
14. So the LORD sent a plague upon Israel. And there fell seventy thousand men of Israel.
15. And God sent an angel to Jerusalem to destroy it. And as he was destroying, the LORD looked. And He repented of the evil and said to the angel who destroyed, “Enough! Stay your hand now!” And the angel of the LORD stood by the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.
16. And David lifted up his eyes and saw the angel of the LORD standing between the earth and heaven, and his sword drawn in his hand, stretched out over Jerusalem. And David and the elders of Israel, who were clothed in sackcloth, fell upon their faces.
17. And David said to God, “Did not I command to number the people? Even I am the one who has sinned and done evil indeed. But these sheep, what have they done? I pray You, let Your hand be upon me, O LORD my God, and upon my father’s house, but not upon Your people, that they should be plagued.”
18. And the angel of the LORD commanded Gad to say to David that David should go up and set up an altar to the LORD on the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.
19. And David went up at the word of Gad which he spoke in the name of the LORD.
20. And Ornan turned back and saw the angel. And his four sons with him hid themselves. And Ornan was threshing wheat.
21. And David came to Ornan, and Ornan looked and saw David. And he went out of the threshing floor and bowed to David with his face to the ground.
22. Then David said to Ornan, “Give me the place of this threshing floor, so that I may build an altar on it to the LORD. You shall give it to me for the full price, so that the plague may be stayed from the people.”
23. And Ornan said to David, “Take it for yourself, and let my lord the king do what is good in his eyes. Lo, I give the oxen for burnt offerings, and the threshing instruments for wood, and the wheat for the grain offering. I give it all.”
24. And King David said to Ornan, “No, but I will truly buy it for the full price, for I will not take what is yours for the LORD, nor offer burnt offerings without cost.”
25. And David gave to Ornan for the place six hundred shekels of gold by weight.
26. And David built an altar there to the LORD, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings, and called upon the LORD. And He answered him from heaven by fire upon the altar of burnt offering.
27. And the LORD commanded the angel, and he put up his sword again into its sheath.
28. At that time, when David saw that the LORD had answered him in the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite,then he sacrificed there.
29. For the tabernacle of the LORD, which Moses made in the wilderness, and the altar of the burnt offering, were at that time in the high place at Gibeon.
30. But David could not go before it to inquire of God, for he was afraid because of the sword of the angel of the LORD.
HNcmpcof the people,H5971
HTothe number of themH4557
HRHSp1csso that I may know."H3045
HCHVqw3ms"May the LORDH3068
HNcfpabut my lordH113
HRHTithen does my lordH113
HRHTiwill he beH1961
HVqi3msa cause of trespassH819
But the king'sH4428
HCHVqw3msand went up and downH1980
HNpand came againH935
HNcmscof the numberH4662
HNcmscof the peopleH5971
HNpAnd in allH3605
HAcbsaand a hundredH3967
HNcfsaAnd in JudahH3063
HCHNphe did notH3808
HTdHNcmpa"I have sinnedH2398
HTrI have doneH6213
HCHDI beseech You,H4994
HNcbscof Your servantH5650
HCI have done veryH3966
HRHPp3fpso that IH589
HPp1csmay do itH6213
HNcmpato be swept awayH5595
HNcmpcHSp2mswhile the swordH2719
HCHNcfscof your enemiesH341
HNcmpaof the swordH2719
HNcfscof the LORD,H3068
HNpeven the plagueH1698
HCHNcmsain the land,H776
HRdHNcbsaand the angelH4397
HCHNcmscof the LORDH3068
HNcmsaI shall bring againH7725
HRHim Who sent me."H7971
HVqp3msLet me fallH5307
HTjinto the handH3027
HRHNcbscof the LORD,H3068
HAampaBut do notH408
HTnlet me fallH5307
HVqh1csinto the handH3027
HRHNpto destroy it.H7843
HRHVhcHSp3fsAnd as he was destroying,H7843
HVqp3msAnd He repentedH5162
HCHVqw3msto the angelH4397
HDAnd the angelH4397
HCHNcmscof the LORDH3068
HRthe threshing floorH1637
HNcmscof the LORDH3068
HTdHNcmpaand his swordH2719
HVqsfsain his hand,H3027
HNpand the eldersH2205
HCHTdHAampaof Israel, who wereclothedH3680
HRdHNcmsaEven I amH589
HVqp1csand done evilH7489
HTihave they done?H6213
HVqp3cpI pray You,H4994
HTelet Your handH3027
HNcmpcHSp1csand upon my father'sH1
HTnupon Your people,H5971
HCHRHNcmscHSp2msthat they should be plagued."H4046
And the angelH4397
HCHNcmscof the LORDH3068
HNpshould go upH5927
HVqi3msand set upH6965
HNcmsato the LORDH3068
HRHNpon the threshing floorH1637
HTdHNcmsaAnd his fourH702
HVtrmpathemselves. And OrnanH771
HNpAnd he went outH3318
HRthe threshing floorH1637
HRHNpwith his faceH639
HNcmdato the ground.H776
HNcmscof this threshing floor,H1637
HTdHNcbsaso that I may buildH1129
HRHSp3msto the LORD.H3068
HRHNpYou shall give itH5414
HRHSp1csfor the fullH4392
HRHNcmsaso that the plagueH4046
HTdHNcfsamay be stayedH6113
HRHSp2fsand let my lordH113
HCHVqj3mswhat is goodH2896
HTdHAamsain his eyes.H5869
HTdHNcbsafor burnt offerings,H5930
HRdHNcfpaand the threshing instrumentsH4173
HRdHNcmpaand the wheatH2406
HCHTdHNcfpafor the grain offering.H4503
HCI will trulyH7069
HRHNcmsafor I will notH3808
HRHSp2msfor the LORD,H3068
HDto the LORD,H3068
HNcfpaand peace offerings,H8002
HNpAnd He answered himH6030
HNcmscof burnt offering.H5930
HNphad answered himH6030
HVqp3msHSp3msin the threshing floorH1637
HTdHNgmsathen he sacrificedH2076
For the tabernacleH4908
HCHNcmscof the LORD,H3068
HVqp3msin the wilderness,H4057
HRdHNcmsaand the altarH4196
HCHNcmscof the burnt offering,H5930
HRdHNcbsain the high placeH1116
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved