1. And King Solomon loved many foreign women, even the daughter of Pharaoh, Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians, Hittites;
2. Of the nations which the LORD had said to the children of Israel, “You shall not go in to them, and they shall not go in to you; surely they will turn away your heart after their gods.” But Solomon clung to these in love.
3. And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines.And his wives turned away his heart,
4. For it came to pass when Solomon was old, his wives turned away his heart after other gods. And his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God as was the heart of David his father,
5. For Solomon went after Ashtoreth, the goddess of the Sidonians, and after Milcom,the abomination of the Ammonites;
6. And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD and did not go fully after the LORD like his father David.
7. Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill which is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon.
8. And likewise he did for all his foreign wives, and burned incense and sacrificed to their gods.
9. And the LORD was angry with Solomon because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel Who had appeared to him twice
10. And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods; and he did not keep that which the LORD commanded.
11. And the LORD said to Solomon, “Since this has been done by you, and since you have not kept My covenant and My statutes which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant.
12. But I will not do it in your days, for David your father’s sake, for I will tear it out of the hand of your son.
13. Only, I will not tear away all the kingdom, but I will give one tribe to your son for David My servant’s sake, and for Jerusalem’s sake which I have chosen.”
14. And it came to pass the LORD stirred up an adversary against Solomon, Hadad the Edomite. He was of the king’s seed in Edom,
15. For it came to pass when David was in Edom, and Joab the commander of the army had gone up to bury the slain after he had stricken every male in Edom—
16. For Joab remained there six months with all Israel, until he had cut off every male in Edom—
17. However Hadad fled, he and certain Edomites of his father’s servants with him, to go to Egypt, when Hadad was still a little child.
18. And they arose out of Midian and came to Paran. And they took men with them out of Paran and they came to Egypt, to Pharaoh king of Egypt, who gave him a house and appointed food for him and gave him land.
19. And Hadad found great favor in the sight of Pharaoh, so that he gave him the sister of his own wife to be his wife, the sister of Tahpenes the queen.
20. And the sister of Tahpenes bore him Genubath his son whom Tahpenes weaned in Pharaoh’s house. And Genubath was in Pharaoh’s household among the sons of Pharaoh.
21. And when Hadad heard in Egypt that David slept with his fathers, and that
Joab the commander of the army was dead, then Hadad said to Pharaoh, “Let me depart so that I may go to my own land.”
22. And Pharaoh said to him, “But what have you lacked with me, that behold, you seek to go to your land?” And he answered, “Nothing. However, you shall certainly send me away.”
23. And God stirred up another adversary, Rezon the son of Eliadah, who fled from his lord Hadadezer king of Zobah.
24. And he gathered men to himself and became head over a marauding band after the slaughter by David. And they went to Damascus and dwelt there and reigned in Damascus.
25. Now he was an adversary to Israel all the days of Solomon, besides the mischief which Hadad did. And he hated Israel and reigned over Syria.
26. And Jeroboam the son of Nebat, an Ephrathite of Zereda, Solomon’s servant, whose mother’s name was Zeruah, awidow, he too lifted up his hand against the king.
27. And this was the cause that he lifted up his hand against the king. Solomon built Millo and repaired the breaks of the city of David his father.
28. And the man Jeroboam was a mighty man of war. And Solomon, seeing that the young man was industrious, he made him ruler over all the charge of the house of Joseph.
29. Now it came to pass at that time, when Jeroboam went out of Jerusalem, the prophet Ahijah from Shiloh found him on the way. And he had clothed himself with a new garment. And the two of them were alone in the field.
30. And Ahijah caught hold of the new garment that was on him, and tore it in twelve pieces.
31. And he said to Jeroboam, “Take ten pieces for yourself. For thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, ‘Behold, I will tear the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon and will give ten tribes to you,
32. But he shall have one tribe for My servant David’s sake and for Jerusalem’s sake, the city which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel
33. Because they have forsaken Me, and have worshiped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Milcom the goddess of the children of Ammon, and have not walked in My ways, to do what is right in My eyes, and to keep My statutes and My judgments, as David his father did.
34. But I will not take the whole kingdom out of his hand, but I will make him ruler all the days of his life for the sake of David My servant, whom I chose because he kept My commandments and My statutes.
35. But I will take the kingdom out of his son’s hand and will give it to you, ten tribes.
36. And to his son I will give one tribe, so that David My servant may have a light always before me in Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen for Me to put My name there.
37. And I will take you, and you shall reign according to all that your soul desires, and shall be king over Israel.
38. And if you will hearken to all that I command you and will walk in My ways, and do what is right in My sight to keep My statutes and My commandments, as David My servant did, then I will be with you and build you a sure house, as I built for David, and will give Israel to you.
39. And for this I will afflict the seed of David, but not forever.’ ”
40. And Solomon sought to kill Jeroboam. And Jeroboam arose and fled to Egypt, to Shishak king of Egypt, and was in Egypt until the death of Solomon.
42. And the days that Solomon reigned in Jerusalem over all Israel were forty years.
43. And Solomon slept with his fathers and was buried in the city of David his father. And Rehoboam reigned in his place.
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved