1. Saul reigned one year, and when he had reigned two more years over Israel,
2. Then Saul chose for himself three thousand from Israel. Two thousand of these were with Saul in Michmash and in Mount Bethel, and a thousand were with Jonathan in Gibeah of Benjamin. And of the rest of the people he sent each man to his tent.
3. And Jonathan struck the garrison of the Philistines in Geba, and the Philistines heard of it. And Saul blew the ram’s horn throughout all the land, saying, “Let the Hebrews hear.”
4. And all Israel heard, saying, “Saul has struck a garrison of the Philistines, and also Israel has made himself an abomination to the Philistines.” And the people were called to Saul at Gilgal.
5. And the Philistines gathered to fight with Israel, thirty thousand chariots, and six thousand horsemen, and people like the sand on the seashore in multitude. And they came up and pitched in Michmash, eastward from Beth Aven.
6. And the men of Israel saw that they were in a tight place (for the people were distressed). And the people hid themselves in caves, and in thickets, and in rocks, and in high places, and in pits.
7. And the Hebrews went over Jordan to the land of Gad and Gilead. And Saul was still in Gilgal, and all the people followed him, trembling.
8. And he waited seven days, according to the set time with Samuel, but Samuel did not come to Gilgal. And the people were scattered from him.
9. And Saul said, “Bring a burnt offering here to me and peace offerings.” And he offered the burnt offering.
10. And it came to pass as soon as he had made an end of offering the burnt offering, behold, Samuel came. And Saul went out to meet him and to kneel to him.
11. And Samuel said, “What have you done?” And Saul said, “Because I saw that the people were scattered from me, and you did not come in the days appointed, and the Philistines gathered themselves at Michmash,
12. And I said, ‘The Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication to the LORD.’ And I forced myself and offered a burnt offering.”
13. And Samuel said to Saul, “You have done foolishly. You have not kept the commandment of the LORD your God which He commanded you; for now the LORD would have established your kingdom upon Israel forever.
14. But now your kingdom shall not stand. The LORD has sought Him a man after His own heart, and the LORD has appointed him to be prince over His people because you have not kept what the LORD commanded you.”
15. And Samuel arose and went up from Gilgal to Gibeah of Benjamin. And Saul numbered the people present with him, about six hundred men.
16. And Saul, and his son Jonathan, and the people present with them, stayed in Gibeah of Benjamin. But the Philistines camped in Michmash.
17. And the spoilers came out of the camp of the Philistines in three companies. One company turned to the way to Ophrah, to the land of Shual.
18. And another company turned the way to Beth Horon. And one company turned the way of the border that looks toward the valley of Zeboim toward the wilderness.
19. And there was no smith found throughout all the land of Israel, for the Philistines said, “Lest the Hebrews make swords or spears.”
20. But all the Israelites went down to the Philistines, each man to sharpen his plowshare, and his mattock, and his axe, and his coulter.
21. And there was the charge of two-thirds of a shekel for the plowshares, and for the mattocks, and for the three-pronged forks, and for the axes, and to sharpen the plowshares.
22. And it came to pass in the day of battle there was neither sword nor spear found in the hand of any of the people with Saul and Jonathan. But with Saul and with his son Jonathan there was found sword and spear.
23. And the garrison of the Philistines went out to the passage of Michmash.
HAcbpaof these wereH1961
HRHNpand in MountH2022
HNpand a thousandH505
HNpAnd of the restH3499
HCHNcmscof the peopleH5971
HNcmsato his tent.H168
HRHNpand the PhilistinesH6430
HCHVqw3mpof it. And SaulH7586
HVqp3msthe ram's hornH7782
HRHVqc"Let the HebrewsH5680
HNcmscof the Philistines,H6430
HNphas made himself an abominationH887
HVNp3msto the Philistines."H6430
HRdHNgmpaAnd the peopleH5971
And the PhilistinesH6430
HCHNcmsalike the sandH2344
HRHNcbsaAnd they came upH5927
HNcfscfrom Beth Aven.H1007
And the menH376
HRHSp3msin a tight placeH6862
HVNp3msAnd the peopleH5971
HCHVtw3mpthemselves in caves,H4631
HRdHNcfpaand in thickets,H2337
HCHRdHNcmpaand in rocks,H5553
HCHRdHNcmpaand in high places,H6877
HCHRdHNcmpaand in pits.H953
And the HebrewsH5680
HTdHNpto the landH776
And he waitedH3176
HNcmpaaccording to the set timeH4150
HTdHNpAnd the peopleH5971
HVhv2mpa burnt offeringH5930
HTdHNcfsahere to meH413
HRHSp1csand peace offerings."H8002
HCHTdHNcmpaAnd he offeredH5927
HCHVhw3msthe burnt offering.H5930
And it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3msas soon as he had made an endH3615
HRHVhcthe burnt offering,H5930
HCHVqw3msto meet himH7122
HRHVqcHSp3msand to kneel to him.H1288
HTihave you done?"H6213
HVqp2msin the daysH3117
HRHNcmscand the PhilistinesH6430
HVNrmpathemselves at Michmash,H4363
And I said,H559
HNgmpawill come downH3381
HTdHNpand I have notH3808
HNpAnd I forcedH662
HCHVtw1csmyself and offeredH5927
HCHVhw1csa burnt offering."H5930
HNp"You have done foolishly.H5528
HVNp2msYou have notH3808
HNcfscof the LORDH3068
HTrHe commanded you;H6680
HNpwould have establishedH3559
HNcmsaafter His own heart,H3824
HRHNcmscHSp3msand the LORDH3068
HNphas appointed himH6680
HCHVpw3msHSp3msto be princeH5057
HCyou have notH3808
HCHVqw3msand went upH5927
HCHNpand his sonH1121
HCHNpand the peopleH5971
HNpBut the PhilistinesH6430
And the spoilersH7843
HCHVqw3msof the campH4264
HRHNcbscof the PhilistinesH6430
HNcbscof the borderH1366
HNptoward the wilderness.H4057
And there was noH3808
And there wasH1961
HTdHNcfsaof twothirds of a shekelH6310
HNcmsafor the plowshares,H4281
HRdHNcfpaand for the mattocks,H855
HCHRdHNcmpaand for the threepronged forks,H7969
HNcmsaand for the axes,H7134
HCHRHTdHNcbpaand to sharpenH5324
And it came to passH1961
HCHVqp3msin the dayH3117
HNcfsathere was neitherH3808
HVNp3msin the handH3027
HNcmscof the peopleH5971
HNpBut with SaulH7586
HRHNpand with his sonH1121
HCHRHNpthere was foundH4672
HCHVNw3fssword and spear.
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved