1. And the LORD said to Samuel, “How long will you mourn for Saul since I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and go. I will send you to Jesse of Bethlehem, for I have seen a king for Me among his sons.”
2. And Samuel said, “How can I go? If Saul hears, he will kill me.” And the LORD said, “Take a heifer of the herd in your hand with you and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.’
3. And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do. And you shall anoint for Me whomever I name to you.”
4. And Samuel did what the LORD said and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming and said, “Do you come peaceably?”
5. And he said, “Peaceably. I have come to sacrifice to the LORD. Sanctify yourselves and come with me to the sacrifice.” And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice.
6. And it came to pass as they came in, he saw Eliab and said, “Surely the LORD’S anointed is before the LORD.”
7. But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look on his face, nor on his height because I have refused him, for the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.”
8. And Jesse called Abinadab, and he passed him before Samuel, but he said, “Also the LORD has not chosen this one.”
9. And Jesse passed Shammah by, but he said, “Also the LORD has not chosen this one.”
10. And Jesse passed seven of his sons before Samuel, but Samuel said to Jesse, “The LORD has not chosen these.”.
11. And Samuel said to Jesse, “Are all your children here?” And he said, “There remains yet the youngest, and behold, he keeps the sheep.” And Samuel said to Jesse, “Send and bring him, or we will not sit down until he comes here.”.
12. And he sent and brought him in. And he was ruddy with beautiful countenance and good form. And the LORD said, “Arise, anoint him, for this is he.”.
13. And Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers. And the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. And Samuel rose up and went to Ramah.
14. But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD terrified him..
15. And Saul’s servants said to him, “Behold now, an evil spirit from God terrifies you..
16. Let our lord now command his servants which are before you to seek out a man who knows how to play on a lyre. And it shall be, when the evil spirit from God is upon you, then he shall play with his hand, and it shall be well with you.”.
17. And Saul said to his servants, “Now look for me a man who can play well, and bring him to me.”.
18. And one of the servants answered and said, “Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite who is skillful in playing, and a mighty warrior and a man of battle, and prudent in speech. And he is a person of good form, and the LORD is with him.”.
19. And Saul sent messengers to Jesse and said, “Send me your son David, who is with the sheep.”.
20. And Jesse took a donkey loaded with bread and a skin of wine and a kid goat, and sent them by David his son to Saul..
21. And David came to Saul and stood before him. And he loved him greatly, and he became his armor-bearer..
22. And Saul sent to Jesse saying, “Please let David stand before me, for he has found favor in my sight.”.
23. And it came to pass when the spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took a lyre and played with his hand. And there was relief for Saul, and it was well with him, and the evil spirit departed from him.
And the LORDH3068
HCHPp1cshave rejected himH3988
HCHVqv2msI will send youH7971
HCI have seenH7200
HRHSp1csamong his sons."H1121
HTican I go?H3212
HCHVqq3mshe will kill me."H2026
HCHVqq3msHSp1csAnd the LORDH3068
HNcfscof the herdH1241
HNcbsain your handH3027
HRHNcbscHSp2mswith you and say,H559
HCHVqq2ms'I have comeH935
HRHVqcto the LORD.'H3068
HRHNpto the sacrifice,H2077
HCHPp1cswill show youH3045
HTryou shall do.H6213
HVqi2msAnd you shall anointH4886
HNpAnd the eldersH2205
HAampcof the townH5892
HCHVqw3mpat his comingH7122
HCHVqw3ms"Do you comeH935
And he said,H559
HNcmsaI have comeH935
HRHVqcto the LORD.H3068
HVtv2mpyourselves and comeH935
HRHSp1csto the sacrifice."H2077
HRdHNcmsaAnd he sanctifiedH6942
HRHSp3mpto the sacrifice.H2077
And it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3msas they came in,H935
HTathe LORD'S anointedH4899
But the LORDH3068
HCI have refused him,H3988
HCthe LORDdoes notH3808
HVqi3mson the outward appearance,H5869
HRdHNcbdabut the LORDH3068
HVqi3mson the heart."H3824
HNpand he passed himH5674
HNpbut he said,H559
HNpby, but he said,H559
HAcmscof his sonsH1121
HTdHNcmpahere?" And he said,H559
HVqv2msHShand bring him,H3947
HCwe will notH3808
And he sentH7971
HCHVqw3msand brought him in.H935
HNcmsaAnd the LORDH3068
HToHSp3msin the midstH7130
HRHNcmscof his brothers.H251
HNcmpcHSp3msAnd the SpiritH7307
HNcbscof the LORDH3068
But the SpiritH7307
HCHNcbscof the LORDH3068
HNpand an evilH7451
Let our lordH113
HNcmpcHSp2mswhich arebefore youH6440
HRHNcbpcHSp2msto seek outH1245
HVqrmsahow to playH5059
HVprmsaon a lyre.H3658
HRdHNcmsaAnd it shall be,H1961
HNcmpais upon you,H5921
HRHSp2msthen he shall playH5059
HRHNcbscHSp3msand it shall be wellH2895
HNcmsawho can playH5059
HAcmsaof the servantsH5288
HTmI have seenH7200
HNgmsawho is skillfulH3045
HVpcand a mightyH1368
HNcmsaand a manH376
HNcmsaAnd he is a personH376
HCHNcmscof good form,H8389
HNcmsaand the LORDH3068
HTriswith the sheep.".H6629
HNcbsaand a skinH4997
HRHNcbpcHSp3msAnd he loved himH157
HDand he becameH1961
HChe has foundH4672
HNcmsain my sight.".H5869
And it came to passH1961
HCHVqp3mswhen the spiritH7307
HCHVpp3mswith his hand.H3027
HRHNcbscHSp3msAnd there was reliefH7304
HRHNpand it was wellH2895
HRHSp3msand the evilH7451
Copyright © 2023 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved