1. And it came to pass when Samuel was old, he made his sons judges over Israel.
2. And the name of his firstborn was Joel, and the name of his second was Abiah, judges in Beersheba.
3. Yet his sons did not walk in his ways, but turned aside after dishonest gain and took bribes and perverted judgment.
4. And all the elders of Israel gathered themselves and came to Samuel to Ramah.
5. And they said to him, “Behold, you are old, and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.”
6. But the thing was evil in the eyes of Samuel when they said, “Give us a king to judge us.” And Samuel prayed to the LORD.
7. And the LORD said to Samuel, “Hearken to the voice of the people in all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me, that I should not reign over them.
8. According to all the works which they have done since the day that I brought them up out of Egypt even until this day—works with which they have forsaken Me and served other gods—so they do also to you.
9. And now hearken to their voice. Only, you shall surely protest solemnly to them, and show them the kind of king who shall reign over them.”
10. And Samuel told all the words of the LORD to the people who asked a king of him.
11. And he said, “This will be the manner of the king who shall reign over you. He shall take your sons and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and his horsemen. And they shall run before his chariots.
12. And he will appoint commanders over thousands, and commanders over fifties, and some to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and make his weapons of war and weapons for his chariots.
13. And he will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers.
14. And he will take your fields and your vineyards and your oliveyards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants.
15. And he will take a tenth of your seed and of your vineyards, and give it to his officers and to his servants.
16. And he will take your male slaves and your slave-girls, and your finest young men, and your donkeys, and put them to his work.
17. He will take a tenth of your sheep, and you shall be his servants.
18. And you shall cry out in that day because of your king whom you have chosen for yourselves, and the LORD will not answer you in that day.”
19. But the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel. And they said, “No, but we will have a king over us.
20. And we shall be, also we, like all the nations, so that our king may judge us and go out before us and fight our battles.”
21. And Samuel heard all the words of the people, and he repeated them in the ears of the LORD.
22. And the LORD said to Samuel, “Hearken to their voice, and make them a king.” And Samuel said to the men of Israel, “Every man go to his city.”
And the nameH8034
HNcmscof his firstbornH1060
HNpand the nameH8034
HCHNcmscof his secondH4932
Yet his sonsH1121
HVqp3cpin his ways,H1870
HRHNcbpcHSp3msbut turned asideH5186
And they saidH559
HVqp2msand your sonsH1121
HVqp3cpin your ways.H1870
HNcmsato judge usH8199
But the thingH1697
HCHVqw3msin the eyesH5869
HNcmsato judge us."H8199
And the LORDH3068
HVqv2msto the voiceH6963
HRHNcmscof the peopleH5971
HCthey have notH3808
HCthey have rejectedH3988
HToHSp1csthat I should not reignH4427
According to allH3605
HTrthey have doneH6213
HVqp3cpsince the dayH3117
HRHNcmscthat I broughtH5927
HToHSp3mpup out of EgyptH4714
HTdHNcmsaworkswith which they have forsaken MeH5800
HVqv2msto their voice.H6963
HCyou shall surelyH389
And he said,H559
HNcmscof the kingH4428
HRHSp2mpHe shall takeH3947
HRHSp3msfor his chariots,H4818
HNcfscHSp3msand his horsemen.H6571
HCHRHNcmpcHSp3msAnd they shall runH7323
And he will appointH7760
HAcbpaand some to plowH2790
HCHNcmpcfor his chariots.H7393
HCHTohe will takeH3947
HNcmpcHSp2mpand your vineyardsH3754
HTdHAampaof them, and giveH5414
HCHVqq3msthemto his servants.H5650
And he will take a tenthH6237
HVqi3msof your seedH2233
HCHNcmpcHSp2mpand of your vineyards,H3754
HCHVqq3msitto his officersH5631
HRHNcmpcHSp3msand to his servants.H5650
HCHTohe will takeH3947
HVqi3msyour male slavesH5650
HCHVqq3msthemto his work.H4399
And you shall cry outH2199
HRHRHNcbpcof your kingH4428
HTryou have chosenH977
HRHSp2mpand the LORDH3068
But the peopleH5971
HNpAnd they said,H559
HCwe will haveH1961
And we shall be,H1961
HTdHNcmpaso that our kingH4428
HNcmscHSp1cpmay judge usH8199
HCHVqq3msHSp1cpand go outH3318
And the LORDH3068
HCHVqw3msto the menH376
HVqv2mpto his city."H5892
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved