1. Now it came to pass after the death of Saul, when David returned from the slaughter of the Amalekites, that David stayed two days in Ziklag,
2. On the third day, behold, a man came out of the camp from Saul with his clothes torn and earth upon his head. And it came to pass when he came to David, he fell to the earth and bowed to him.
3. And David said to him, “Where do you come from?” And he said to him, “I have escaped out of the camp of Israel.”
4. And David said to him, “How did the matter go? Please tell me.” And he answered, “The people have fled from the battle, and many of the people also have fallen and are dead. And Saul and his son Jonathan are dead also.”
5. And David said to the young man who told him, “How do you know that Saul and his son Jonathan are dead?”
6. And the young man who told him said, “As I happened to be upon Mount Gilboa, behold, Saul leaned upon his spear And, lo, the chariots and horsemen followed hard after him.
7. And when he looked behind him, he saw me, and called to me. And I answered, ‘Here am I.’
8. And he said to me, ‘Who are you?’ And I answered him, ‘I am an Amalekite.’
9. He said to me again, ‘Please stand over me and kill me, for anguish has come upon me because all my life is still in me.’
10. And I stood over him and killed him because I was sure that he could not live after he had fallen. And I took the crown upon his head, and the bracelet on his arm, and have brought them here to my lord.”
11. And David took hold on his own garments and tore them. And likewise all the men with him did so.
12. And they mourned and wept and fasted until evening, for Saul, and for his son Jonathan, and for the people of the LORD, and for the house of Israel because they had fallen by the sword.
13. And David said to the young man who told him, “From where are you?” And he answered, “I am the son of a stranger, an Amalekite.”
14. And David said, “Why were you not afraid to stretch forth your hand to destroy the LORD’S anointed?”
15. And David called one of the young men and said, “Go near and fall upon him.” And he struck him so that he died.
16. And David said to him, “Your blood be upon your head, for your mouth has testified against you, saying, ‘I have slain the LORD’S anointed.’ ”
17. And David lamented with this lamentation over Saul and over his son Jonathan.
19. “The beauty of Israel is slain upon your high places! How are the mighty fallen!
20. Tell it not in Gath, do not let it be known in the streets of Askelon, lest the daughters of the Philistines rejoice, lest the daughters of the uncircumcised triumph.
21. Mountains of Gilboa, let not dew or rain be upon you, nor fields of offerings, for there the shield of the mighty has been vilely cast away, the shield of Saul not being anointed with oil.
22. From the blood of the slain, from the fat of the mighty, the bow of Jonathan did not turn back and the sword of Saul did not return empty.
23. Saul and Jonathan were lovely and pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided. They were swifter than eagles, they were stronger than lions.
24. Daughters of Israel weep over Saul, who clothed you in scarlet and with delights, who put ornaments of gold on your clothes.
25. How are the mighty fallen in the midst of the battle! Jonathan is slain upon your high places.
26. I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan. Very pleasant you have been to me. Your love to me was wonderful, more than the love of women.
27. How are the mighty fallen, and the weapons of war perished!”
Now it came to passH1961
HVqp3msfrom the slaughterH5221
HToof the Amalekites,H6002
HCHVqw3msOn the thirdH7992
HVqp3msout of the campH4264
HNcmscHSp3msAnd it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3mswhen he cameH935
HCHVqw3msto the earthH776
HNcbsaHSdand bowed to him.H7812
HRHPdxmsdo you come from?"H935
HVqi2msAnd he saidH559
HRHSp3ms"I have escapedH4422
HVNp1csout of the campH4264
HRHSp1csAnd he answered,H559
HVqp3msand are dead.H4191
HNpand his sonH1121
HRthe young manH5288
HTido you knowH3045
HNpand his sonH1121
And the young manH5288
HCHVqw3ms"As I happenedH7136
HTdHNcmpafollowed hard after him.H1692
HRHSp1csand kill me,H4191
HTdHNcmsahas come upon meH270
And I stoodH5975
HRHSp3msand killed himH4191
HCI was sureH3045
HChe could notH3808
HRhe had fallen.H5307
HVqcHSp3msAnd I tookH3947
HNcmscHSp3msand the braceletH685
HNcbscHSp3msand have brought themH935
HCHVhw3mson his own garmentsH899
HRHNcmpcHSp3msand tore them.H7167
HCHVqw3msHSp3mpAnd likewise allH3605
And they mournedH5594
HNcmscof the LORD,H3068
HCthey had fallenH5307
HVqp3cpby the sword.H2719
HRthe young manH5288
HPp2msAnd he answered,H559
HNcmscof a stranger,H376
HTiwere you notH3808
HVqp2msto stretch forthH7971
HRHAcmsaof the young menH5288
HCHVqw3ms “Go nearH5066
HRHSp3msAnd he struck himH5221
HCHVhw3msHSp3msso that he died.H4191
HRHSp3ms “Your bloodH1818
And he saidH559
HNpThe Song of the Bow.H7198
HTmit is writtenH3789
HTnlet it be knownH1319
HVpj2mpin the streetsH2351
HNcfpcof the PhilistinesH6430
HNcfpcof the uncircumcisedH6189
HNcbscof the mightyH1368
HAampahas been vilely cast away,H1602
From the bloodH1818
HRHNcmscof the slain,H2491
HAampafrom the fatH2459
HRHNcmscof the mighty,H1368
HNcmsaand the swordH2719
HCHTdHAampain their lives,H2416
HRHNcmpcHSp3mpand in their deathH4194
HCHRHNcmscHSp3mpthey were notH3808
HVNp3cpThey were swifterH7043
HRHNcmpathey were strongerH1396
HNpwho clothed youH3847
HVqp2msyou have been to me.Hl
HVNp3fsmore than the loveH160
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved