1. And it came to pass after this, the king of the children of Ammon died, and his son Hanun reigned in his stead.
2. And David said, “I will show kindness to Hanun the son of Nahash, as his father showed kindness to me.” And David sent to comfort him for his father by the hand of his servants. And David’s servants came to the land of the children of Ammon.
3. And the leaders of the children of Ammon said to Hanun their lord, “Do you think that David honors your father, that he has sent comforters to you? Has not David sent his servants to you to search the city, and to spy it out, and to overthrow it?”
4. And Hanun took David’s servants and shaved off half their beards and cut off their garments in the middle, to their buttocks, and sent them away
5. And they told David and he sent to meet them because the men were greatly ashamed. And the king said, “Stay at Jericho until your beards are grown, and return.”
6. And the children of Ammon saw that they had begun to be odious before David. And the children of Ammon sent and hired the Syrians of Beth Rehob, and the Syrians of Zobah, twenty thousand footmen, and from King Maacah a thousand men, and from Ish-Tob twelve thousand men.
7. And when David heard of it, he sent Joab and all the army of the mighty men.
8. And the children of Ammon came out and put the battle in order at the entering in of the gate. And the Syrians of Zobah, and of Rehob, and Ish-Tob, and Maacah, were by themselves in the field.
9. And Joab saw that the front of the battle was against him before and behind. And he selected from all the choice ones of Israel and put them in battle order against the Syrians.
10. And the rest of the people he delivered into the hand of Abishai his brother, so that he might set in battle order against the children of Ammon.
11. And he said, “If the Syrians are too strong for me, then you shall help me. But if the children of Ammon are too strong for you, then I will come and help you.
12. Be of good courage, and let us be strong men for our people and for the cities of our God. And may the LORD do that which seems good to Him.”
13. And Joab and the people with him drew near to the battle against the Syrians. And they fled before him.
14. And when the children of Ammon saw that the Syrians had fled, then they fled also before Abishai, and entered into the city. And Joab returned from the children of Ammon and came to Jerusalem.
15. And the Syrians saw that they were beaten before Israel, and they gathered together.
16. And Hadarezer sent and brought out the Syrians who were beyond the river. And they came to Helam. And Shobach the commander of the army of Hadarezer went before them.
17. When David was told this, he gathered all Israel and passed over Jordan, and came to Helam. And the Syrians set themselves in battle order to meet David and fought with him.
18. And the Syrians fled before Israel. And David killed the men of seven hundred chariots of the Syrians and forty thousand horsemen, and struck Shobach the captain of their army, who died there.
19. When all the kings, the servants of Hadarezer, saw that they were beaten before Israel, then they made peace with Israel and served them. And the Syrians feared to help the children of Ammon any more.
And it came to passH1961
HNcmscof the childrenH1121
HCHVqw3msand his sonH1121
HCHVqw3msin his stead.H8478
HCHVqw3ms"I will showH6213
HCHVqw3msto comfort himH5162
HNcmscHSp3msby the handH3027
HRHNcbscof his servants.H5650
HCHVqw3mpto the landH776
HNcbscof the childrenH1121
And the leadersH8269
HNcmpcof the childrenH1121
HNcmpcHSp3mp"Do you thinkH5869
HChe has sentH7971
HTdHNcfsaand to spy it out,H7270
HCHRHVpcHSp3fsand to overthrow it?"H2015
HNcmpcand shaved offH1548
HNcbscHSp3mpand cut offH3772
HNcmpcHSp3mpin the middle,H2677
HNcmpcHSp3mpand sent them awayH7971
And they toldH5046
HRHNpand he sentH7971
HCHVqw3msto meet themH7125
HVNrmpaAnd the kingH4428
And the childrenH1121
HCthey had begun to be odiousH887
HRHNpAnd the childrenH1121
HNpof Beth Rehob,H1050
HCHNcmscand from Ish-TobH2897
And the childrenH1121
HCHVqw3mpand put the battleH4421
HCHVqw3mpat the entering inH6607
HNcmscof the gate.H8179
HTdHNcmsaAnd the SyriansH758
HNpand of Rehob,H7340
HRHNcmscHSp3mpin the field.H7704
HNcbpcof the battleH4421
HCHRHNcmsaAnd he selectedH977
HVqsmpcones of IsraelH3478
HNpand put them in battle orderH6186
HNcmscof the peopleH5971
HVqp3msinto the handH3027
HNcmscHSp3msso that he might set in battle orderH6186
And he said,H559
HNpare too strongH2388
HCHVqq3fsyou shall helpH3467
HNpare too strongH2388
HRHSp2msthen I will comeH1980
Be of goodH2896
HVqv2msand let us be strongH2388
HNcfpcof our God.H430
HNcmpcHSp1cpAnd may the LORDH3068
HVqi3msthat which seems good to Him."H5869
HNpand the peopleH5971
HCHVqw3msto the battleH4421
HRdHNcfsaagainst the Syrians.H758
HRHNpAnd they fledH5127
And when the childrenH1121
HVqp3msthen they fledH5127
HCHVqw3mpinto the city.H5892
HCHVqw3msand brought outH3318
HTdHNcmsaAnd they cameH935
HNcmscof the armyH6635
HNpwent before them.H6440
HRHNpwas told this,H5046
HNpand passed overH5674
HNpHSdAnd the SyriansH758
HNpset themselves in battle orderH6186
And the SyriansH758
HCHVqw3msthe men ofsevenH7651
HNcmsaof the SyriansH758
HNcmscof their army,H6635
HNpthen they made peaceH7999
HNpand served them.H5647
HCHVqw3mpHSp3mpAnd the SyriansH758
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved