1. And there was a long war between the house of Saul and the house of David. But David became stronger and stronger, and the house of Saul became weaker and weaker.
2. And sons were born to David in Hebron. And his firstborn was Amnon, the son of Ahinoam of Jezreel.
3. And his second was Chileab, of Abigail of Carmel, the former wife of Nabal. And the third was Absalom, the son of Maacah, the daughter of Talmai, king of Geshur.
4. And the fourth was Adonijah, the son of Haggith. And the fifth was Shephatiah, the son of Abital.
5. And the sixth was Ithream, by Eglah, David’s wife. These were born to David in Hebron.
6. And it came to pass, while there was war between the house of Saul and the house of David, Abner made himself strong for the house of Saul.
7. And Saul had a concubine whose name was Rizpah, the daughter of Aiah. And Ishbosheth said to Abner, “Why have you gone in to my father’s concubine?”
8. And Abner was very angry over the words of Ishbosheth, and said, “Am I a dog’s head of Judah? I show kindness this day to the house of Saul your father, to his brothers, and to his friends and have not delivered you into the hand of David. Am I a dog’s head, that you charge me today with a fault concerning this woman?
9. So may God do to Abner, and more also, if I do not do to David as the LORD has sworn,
10. To transfer the kingdom from the house of Saul and to set up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan even to Beersheba.”
11. And he could not answer Abner a word again because he feared him.
12. And Abner sent messengers to David on his behalf, saying, “Whose is the land?” He said, “Make your covenant with me and, behold, my hand shall be with you to bring about all Israel to you.”
13. And David said, “Good! I will make a covenant with you, but one thing I ask of you: You shall not see my face unless you first bring Michal, Saul’s daughter, when you come to see my face.”
14. And David sent messengers to Ishbosheth, Saul’s son, saying, “Deliver my wife Michal, whom I betrothed to me for a hundred foreskins of the Philistines.”
15. And Ishbosheth sent and took her from her husband, from Phaltiel the son of Laish.
16. And her husband went along with her, weeping behind her, to Bahurim. And Abner said to him, “Go, return!” And he returned.
17. The word of Abner was with the elders of Israel, saying, “You sought for David in times past to be king over you.
18. And then do it, for the LORD has spoken of David, saying, ‘By the hand of My servant David I will save My people Israel out of the hand of the Philistines, and out of the hand of all their enemies.’ ”
19. And Abner also spoke in the ears of Benjamin. And Abner went also to speak in the ears of David in Hebron all that seemed good to Israel and all that seemed good to the whole house of Benjamin.
20. And Abner came to David at Hebron, and twenty men came with him. And David made a feast for Abner and the men who were with him.
21. And Abner said to David, “I will arise and go, and will gather all Israel to my lord the king, so that they may make a covenant with you, and so that you may reign over all that your heart desires.” And David sent Abner away, and he went in peace.
22. And behold, the servants of David and Joab came from pursuing a troop, and brought in a great spoil with them. But Abner was not with David in Hebron, for he had sent him away, and he had gone in peace.
23. And Joab and all the army with him came, and they told Joab, saying, “Abner the son of Ner came to the king, and he has sent him away and he has gone in peace.”
24. And Joab came to the king and said, “What have you done? Behold, Abner came to you. Why is this, that you have sent him away and he has already gone?
25. You know Abner the son of Ner, that he came to deceive you, and to know your going out and your coming in, and to know all that you do.”
26. And Joab left David and sent messengers after Abner, who brought him again from the well of Sirah. But David did not know it.
27. And Abner returned to Hebron. And Joab took him aside in the gate to speak with him privately. And he struck him there in the belly, and he died, for the blood of Asahel his brother.
28. And afterward David heard, and said, “My kingdom and I are guiltless before the LORD forever from the blood of Abner the son of Ner.
29. Let it whirl about the head of Joab, and on all his father’s house. And let there not fail from the house of Joab one who has an issue, or who is a leper, or who leans on a staff, or who falls on the sword, or who lacks bread.”
30. And Joab and Abishai his brother killed Abner because he had slain their brother Asahel at Gibeon in the battle.
31. And David said to Joab and to all the people with him, “Tear your clothes and gird yourselves with sackcloth, and mourn before Abner.” And King David followed the bier.
32. Then they buried Abner in Hebron. And the king lifted up his voice and wept at the grave of Abner. And all the people wept.
33. And the king mourned over Abner and said, “Did Abner die like a fool dies?
34. Your hands were not bound, nor your feet put into fetters; as a man falls before wicked men, so you fell.” And all the people wept again over him.
35. And all the people came to cause David to eat food while it was still day; David swore, saying, “So let God do to me, and more also, if I taste bread or anything else until the sun is down.”
36. And all the people took notice, and it pleased them, as whatever the king did pleased all the people,
37. For all the people and all Israel understood that day that it was not of the king to kill Abner the son of Ner.
38. And the king said to his servants, “Do you not know that a prince and a great man has fallen this day in Israel?
39. And I am weak this day, though anointed king. And these men, the sons of Zeruiah, are too hard for me. The LORD shall reward the doer of evil according to his wickedness.”
And there wasH1961
HCHAamsaand the houseH1004
And his secondH4932
HTdHNgmsathe former wifeH802
HNpAnd the thirdH7992
And it came to pass,H1961
HCHVqw3mswhile there wasH1961
HVtrmsafor the houseH1004
HCHRHNphad a concubineH6370
HNpAnd Ishbosheth saidH559
HTihave you gone inH935
HNcmscHSp3msand have notH3808
HVhp1csHSp2msinto the handH3027
HNpAmI a dog's head, that you chargeH6485
HTdHNcmsawith a faultH5771
HVqi1csnot do to DavidH1732
HTdHNcfsafrom the houseH1004
HNpand to set upH6965
HNpon his behalf,H8478
HNcbscHSp1csshall bewith youH5973
HRHSp2msto bring aboutH5437
And David said,H559
HRHVqcYou shall notH3808
HRHSp1csfor a hundredH3967
HNcfpcof the Philistines."H6430
And her husbandH376
HCHVqw3msalong with her,H854
HVqv2msAnd he returned.H7725
HRHVqc'By the handH3027
HRHNcbscof My servantH5650
HNpI will saveH3467
HNpout of the handH3027
HRHNcbscof the Philistines,H6430
HNgmpaand out of the handH3027
HCHVpw3msin the earsH241
HRHVpcin the earsH241
HNcmscthat seemed goodH5869
HCHRHNcbdcto the whole houseH1004
HNcmpacame with him.H854
HRHNpand the menH376
HNp"I will ariseH6965
HCHVqh1csand will gatherH6908
HTdHNcmsaso that they may makeH3772
HRHSp2msand so that you may reignH4427
HNpaway, and he wentH3212
HVqp3msfrom pursuing a troop,H1416
HRHTdHNcmsaand brought inH935
HChe had sent him away,H7971
HVpp3msHSp3msand he had goneH3212
HVqp3cpand they toldH5046
HTdHNcmsaand he has sent him awayH7971
HCHVpw3msHSp3msand he has goneH3212
HTihave you done?H6213
HPdxmsthatyou have sent him awayH7971
HVpp2msHSp3msand he has alreadyH3212
HVqp3msto deceive you,H6601
HRHVpcHSp2msand to knowH3045
HToyour going outH4161
HCHToyour coming in,H4126
HNcmpcHSp2msand to knowH3045
HNpwho brought him againH7725
HToHSp3msfrom the wellH953
HNptook him asideH5186
HRdHNcmsaAnd he struck himH5221
HDin the belly,H2570
HTdHNcmsaand he died,H4191
HCHVqw3msfor the bloodH1818
HNcmsafrom the bloodH1818
Let it whirlH2342
HNcmscAnd let there notH408
HVNj3msfrom the houseH1004
HNpone who has an issue,H2100
HVqrmsaor who is a leper,H6879
HCHVPsmsaor who leansH2388
HCHVhrmsaon a staff,H6418
HRdHNcmsaor who fallsH5307
HCHVqrmsaon the sword,H2719
HRdHNcfsaor who lacksH2638
HRHNpin the battle.H4421
HNcmpcHSp2mpand gird yourselvesH2296
Then they buriedH6912
HRHNpAnd the kingH4428
HRHNcfdaas a man fallsH5307
HNcmpcso you fell."H5307
HCHVqw3msto cause DavidH1732
HNcbsawhile it was stillH5750
HVhp3cpand it pleasedH3190
HTnof the kingH4428
And the kingH4428
HNcmpcHSp3ms"Do you notH3808
HNcmsaand a great manH1419
HTdHNcfsaaccording to his wickedness."H7451
Copyright © 2023 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved