1. Now there was in Caesarea a certain man named Cornelius, a centurion of a band that is called the Italian band,
2. A devout man who also feared God with all his house, both in giving many alms to the people and in beseeching God continually in prayer.
3. He clearly saw in a vision, about the ninth hour of the day, an angel of God coming to him and saying to him, “Cornelius.”
4. But as he fixed his eyes on him, he became afraid and said, “What is it, Lord?” And he said to him, “Your prayers and your alms have gone up for a memorial before God.
5. And now send men to Joppa, and call for Simon who is surnamed Peter.
6. He is lodging with a certain Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the sea. He shall tell you what you must do.”
7. And when the angel who had spoken to him departed, Cornelius called two of his servants and a devout soldier from among those who continually waited on him;
8. And after relating everything to them, he sent them to Joppa.
9. And on the next day, about the sixth hour, as these were journeying and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray.
10. And he became very hungry and desired to eat. But while they were preparing the meal, a trance fell upon him;
11. And he saw the heaven opened; and a certain vessel descended upon him, like a great sheet, bound by the four corners and let down upon the earth;
12. In which were all the four-footed beasts of the earth, including the wild beasts, and the creeping things and the birds of heaven.
13. Then a voice came to him, saying, “Arise, Peter, kill and eat.”
14. But Peter said, “In no way, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.”
15. And a voice came again the second time to him, saying, “What God has cleansed, you are not to call common.”
16. Now this took place three times, and the vessel was taken up again into heaven.
17. And as Peter was questioning within himself what the vision that he saw might mean, the men who were sent from Cornelius, having inquired for the house of Simon, immediately stood at the porch;
18. And they called out, asking if Simon who was surnamed Peter was lodging there.
19. Then, as Peter was pondering the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Behold, three men are seeking you;
20. Now arise and go down, and go forth with them, doubting nothing, because I have sent them.”
21. And Peter went down to the men who had been sent to him from Cornelius and said, “Look, I am the one you are seeking. For what purpose have you come?”
22. And they said, “Cornelius, a centurion, a righteous man and one who fears God, and who has a good report by the whole nation of the Jews, was divinely instructed by a holy angel to send for you to come to his house, and to listen to words from you.”
23. Then he called them in to lodge there. And on the next day Peter went with them, and some of the brethren from Joppa accompanied him.
24. And on the next day, they came to Caesarea. Now Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his kinsmen and his intimate friends.
25. And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet, worshiping him.
26. But Peter raised him up, saying, “Stand up, for I myself am also a man.”
27. And as he was talking with him, he went in and found many gathered together.
28. And he said to them, “You know that it is unlawful for a man who is a Jew to associate with or come near to anyone of another race. But God has shown me that no man should be called common or unclean.
29. For this reason, I also came without objection when I was sent for. I ask therefore, for what purpose did you send for me?”
30. And Cornelius said, “Four days ago I was fasting until this hour, and at the ninth hour I was praying in my house; and suddenly a man stood before me in bright apparel,
31. And said, ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before God.
32. Now then, send to Joppa and call for Simon who is surnamed Peter; he is lodging by the sea in the house of Simon, a tanner. When he comes, he will speak to you.’
33. Therefore, I sent for you at once; and you did well to come. So then, we are all present before God to hear all things that have been commanded you by God.”
34. Then Peter opened his mouth and said, “Of a truth I perceive that God is not a respecter of persons,
35. But in every nation the one who fears Him and works righteousness is acceptable to Him.
36. The word that He sent to the children of Israel, preaching the gospel of peace through Jesus Christ (He is Lord of all),
37. You have knowledge of; which declaration came throughout the whole of Judea, beginning from Galilee, after the baptism that John proclaimed,
38. Concerning Jesus, Who was from Nazareth: how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, because God was with Him.
39. And we are witnesses of all the things that He did, both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed Him by hanging Him on a tree.
40. But God raised Him up the third day, and showed Him openly,
41. Not to all the people, but to witnesses who had been chosen before by God, to those of us who did eat and drink with Him after He had risen from the dead.
42. And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to fully testify that it is He Who has been appointed by God to be Judge of the living and the dead.
43. To Him all the prophets bear witness, that everyone who believes in Him receives remission of sins through His name.”
44. While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came upon all those who were listening to the message.
45. And the believers from the circumcision were astonished, as many as had come with Peter, that upon the also the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out;
46. For they heard them speak in other languages and magnify God. Then Peter responded by saying,
47. “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized, who have also received the Holy Spirit as we did?”
48. And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they besought him to remain for a number of days.
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved