1. And when the day of Pentecost, the fiftieth day, was being fulfilled, they were all with one accord in the same place.
2. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like the rushing of a powerful wind, and filled the whole house a large room on the temple premises, possibly Solomon’s Porch where they were sitting.
3. And there appeared to them divided tongues as of fire, and sat upon each one of them.
4. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit; and they began to speak with other languages, as the Spirit gave them the words to proclaim.
5. Now there were many Jews who were sojourning in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven.
6. And when word of this went out, the multitude came together and were confounded, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.
7. And they were all amazed, and marveled, saying to one another, “Behold, are not all these who are speaking Galileans?
8. Then how is it that we hear each one in our own language in which we were born?
9. Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and those who inhabit Mesopotamia, and Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
10. Both Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya which are near Cyrene, and the Romans who are sojourning here, both Jews and proselytes,
11. Cretes and Arabians; we hear them speaking in our own languages the great things of God.”
12. And they were all amazed and greatly perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?”
13. But others were mocking and saying, “They are full of new wine.”
14. Then Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice and spoke out to them: “Men, Jews, and all those of you who inhabit Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and pay attention to my words.
15. For these are not drunken as you suppose, for it is only the third hour of the day.
16. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17. ‘ “And it shall come to pass in the last days,” says God, “that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams;
18. And even upon My servants and upon My handmaids will I pour out My Spirit in those days, and they shall prophesy;
19. And I will show wonders in the heaven above and signs on the earth below, blood and fire and vapors of smoke.
20. The sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood, before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.
21. And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” ‘
22. Men, Israelites, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarean, a Man sent forth to you by God, as demonstrated by works of power and wonders and signs, which God performed by Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know;
23. Him, having been delivered up by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you have seized by lawless hands and have crucified and killed.
24. But God has raised Him up, having loosed the throes of death, because it was not possible for Him to be held by it;
25. For David speaks concerning Him, ‘I foresaw the Lord before Me continually; for He is at My right hand, so that I may not be moved.
26. Therefore, My heart rejoiced and My tongue was glad; moreover, My flesh also shall rest in hope;
27. For You will not leave My soul in the grave, nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
28. You did make Me to know the ways of life; You will fill Me with joy with Your countenance.’
29. Men and brethren, let me speak to you freely concerning the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.
30. Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn to him in an oath that from the fruit of his loins, as concerning the flesh, He would raise up the Christ to sit upon his throne;
31. He foresaw this and spoke concerning the resurrection of Christ, that His soul was not left in the grave, nor did His flesh see corruption.
32. This Jesus has God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
33. Therefore, having been exalted by the right hand of God, and having received the promise of the Holy Spirit from the Father, He has poured out this that you are now seeing and hearing.
34. For David has not ascended into the heavens, but he himself said, ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at My right hand
35. Until I have made Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.” ‘
36. Therefore, let all the house of Israel know with full assurance that God has made this same Jesus, Whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
37. Now after hearing this, they were cut to the heart; and they said to Peter and the other apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”
38. Then Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized each one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you yourselves shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
39. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all those who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God may call.”
40. And with many other words he earnestly testified and exhorted, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.”
41. Then those who joyfully received his message were baptized; and about three thousand souls were added that day.
42. And they steadfastly continued in the teachings of the apostles and in fellowship, and in the breaking of bread and in prayers.
43. And fear came upon every soul, and many signs and miracles were done by the apostles.
44. Now all those who believed were together and had all things in common;
45. And they sold their possessions and goods, and divided them to all, according as anyone had need.
46. And every day, steadfastly continuing with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread in their houses, they partook of the food with gladness and sincerity of heart,
47. Praising God and having favor with all the people; and the Lord added to the church day by day those who were being saved.
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved