2. When the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, are darkened, or the clouds return after rain, When your vision dims with old age making it hard to see the sun, moon or stars.
3. In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men are stooped over, and the grinders cease because they are few, and the eyes of those who look out of the windows grow dim, Verses 3-7 are poetic analogies describing the process of aging, becoming weaker as one’s life declines unto death.
4. And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and you shall rise up at the voice of a bird, and all the daughters of music shall be brought low;
5. Also when they are afraid of heights, and terrors along the way, and the almond tree shall blossom, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail; because man goes to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets;
6. Before the silver cord is loosed, or the golden bowl is broken, or the pitcher is broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern;
7. And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
8. “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher; “all is vanity.”
9. And more than that, the Preacher was wise; he still taught the people knowledge. Yea, he pondered and sought out and set in order many proverbs.
10. The Preacher sought to find out pleasing words; and words of truth written by the upright.
11. The words of the wise men are like goads; yea, their collected words are like nails driven home; given by one Shepherd.
12. And further, by these, my son, be warned. Of the making of many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
13. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments. For this is the whole man.
14. For God shall bring every work into judgment, concerning every secret thing, whether it is good, or whether it is evil.
HTonow your CreatorH1254
HVqrmpcHSp2msin the daysH3117
HRHNcmpcof your youth,H979
HVqi3mpand the yearsH834
HNcfpaof old agedraw near,H5060
HCHVhq3cpwhen you shall say,H559
HTdHNcbsaor the light,H216
HCHTdHNcbsaor the moon,H3394
HCHTdHNcmsaor the stars,H3556
HVqi3fsor the cloudsH5645
In the dayH3117
HRdHNcmsawhen the keepersH8104
HVqrmpcof the houseH1004
HTrHVqi3mpand the strongH2428
HCHVtq3cpover, and the grindersH2912
HCthey are few,H4591
HVpp3cpand the eyes of those who look outH7200
HTdHVqrfpaof the windowsH699
And the doorsH1817
HNcfdashall be shutH5462
HCHVPq3cpin the streets,H7784
HRdHNcmsawhen the soundH6963
HNcmscof the grindingH2913
HRHVqcand you shall rise upH6965
HCHVqi3msat the voiceH6963
HRHNcmscof a bird,H6833
HTdHNcbsashall be brought low;H7817
HTathey are afraidH3372
HCHNcmpaalong the way,H1870
HRdHNcbsaand the almond treeH8247
HCHVhi3msand the grasshopperH2284
HTdHNcmsashall be a burden,H5445
HNcmscand the mournersH5594
HVNi3msor the goldenH2091
HCHVqi3fsor the pitcherH3537
HTdHNcmsaor the wheelH1534
And the dustH6083
HTdHNcbsaas it was,H1961
HRHTrHVqp3msand the spiritH7307
HCHNcmsathan that, the PreacherH6953
HNcfsaYea, he ponderedH239
HCHVpp3msand sought outH2713
HCHVpp3msand set in orderH8626
HNcmpcof the wise menH2450
HRdHNcbpayea, their collected wordsH627
HNcmpcare like nailsH4930
HVNv2msOf the makingH6213
HNcmpathere is noH369
HNcfscof the flesh.H1320
Let us hearH8085
HNcmscof the wholeH3605
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved