1. And when the adversaries of Judah and Benjamin heard that the children of the exile were building the temple to the LORD God of Israel,
2. Then they came to Zerubbabel and to the chief of the fathers, and said to them, “Let us build with you, for we seek your God, even as you. And we have sacrificed to Him since the days of Esar-haddon king of Assyria, who brought us up here.”
3. But Zerubbabel, and Jeshua, and the rest of the chief of the fathers of Israel, said to them, “You have nothing to do with us to build a house unto our God. But we ourselves together will build unto the LORD God of Israel, as King Cyrus the king of Persia has commanded us.”
4. Then the people of the land weakened the hands of the people of Judah, and troubled them in building.
5. And they hired counselors against them to frustrate their purpose all the days of Cyrus king of Persia, even until the reign of Darius king of Persia.
6. And in the reign of Ahasuerus, in the beginning of his reign, they wrote an accusation against the people of Judah and Jerusalem.
7. And in the days of Artaxerxes, Bishlam, Mithredath, Tabel and the rest of their companions, wrote to Artaxerxes king of Persia. Now the letter was written in the Syrian tongue and interpreted in the Syrian tongue.
8. Rehum the chancellor and Shimshai the scribe wrote a letter against Jerusalem to Artaxerxes the king in this way.
9. Then wrote Rehum the chancellor and Shimshai the scribe, and the rest of their companions, the judges, and the emissaries, the consuls, the officials, the Erechites, the Babylonians, Elamites of Susa,
10. And the rest of the nations whom the great and noble Osnappar brought over and set in the cities of Samaria, and in the rest of the province beyond the River—and now,
11. This is the copy of the letter which they sent to him, to Artaxerxes the king: “Your servants the men of the province beyond the River, and so now,
12. Let it be known to the king that the Jews who came up from you to us have come to Jerusalem, and are building the rebellious and the evil city, and have set up its walls, and have joined the foundations.
13. Let it be known to the king that if this city is built and the walls set up, then they will not pay toll, taxes, or custom, and you shall endanger the revenue of the kings.
14. Now because we have eaten the salt of the palace, and it was not right for us to see the king’s dishonor, therefore we have sent and notified the king,
15. So that search may be made in the book of the records of your fathers, and you shall find in the book of the records, and shall know that this city is a rebellious city, hurtful to kings and provinces, and that they have incited sedition in it in the past, for which cause that city was destroyed.
16. We notify the king that if this city is built and the walls of it set up, then you shall have no portion beyond the River.”
17. The king sent an answer to Rehum the chancellor, and to Shimshai the scribe, and to the rest of their companions who dwell in Samaria, and to the rest beyond the River: “Peace! And now,
18. The letter which you sent to us has been plainly read before me.
19. And I decreed, and search has been made, and it is found that this city has risen up against kings in the past, and rebellion and revolt have been made in it.
20. There have been mighty kings also over Jerusalem, who have ruled over all the country beyond the River. And toll, taxes, and custom were paid to them.
21. Now make a decree to cause these men to cease, and that this city be not built until the decree shall be given from me.
22. And take heed that you do not fail to do this. Why should damage increase to the hurt of the kings?”
23. And when the copy of King Artaxerxes’ letter was read before Rehum, and Shimshai the scribe, and their companions, they hurried to Jerusalem unto the Jews, and made them cease by force and power.
24. Then the work of the house of God at Jerusalem ceased. So it ceased to the second year of the reign of Darius king of Persia.
And when the adversariesH6862
HNcmpcof the exileH1473
HNcmsato the LORDH3068
Then they cameH5066
HNcmpcof the fathers,H1
HRHSp3mp"Let us buildH1129
HRHNcmpcHSp2mpeven as you.Hk
HCHRHSp3mssince the daysH3117
HNpwho brought us upH5927
HCHNpand the restH7605
HCHNcmscof the chiefH7218
HNcmpcof the fathersH1
HRHSp3mp"You have nothingH3808
HNcmsaunto our God.H430
HVqi1cpunto the LORDH3068
HNphas commanded us."H6680
HNcmscof the landH776
HNcbdcof the peopleH5971
And they hiredH7936
And in the reignH4438
HNpin the beginningH8462
HRHNcfscof his reign,H4438
And in the daysH3117
HNpand the restH7605
HCHNcmscof their companions,H3674
HNpNow the letterH5406
HVqsmsain the Syrian tongueH762
HCHVPsmsain the Syrian tongue.H762
ANcmsdATdin this way.H3660
ANcmsdATdand the restH7606
ACANcmscof their companions,H3675
ANcmpdATdand the emissaries,H671
And the restH7606
ACANcmscof the nationsH524
APp3mpin the citiesH7149
ANpand in the restH7606
ACANcmscof the province beyondH5675
ANcmscof the letterH104
ATrthey sent toH7972
ANcmscof the province beyondH5675
ANpATdand so now,H3706
Let it beH1934
AVQsmsato the kingH4430
ARANpand are buildingH1124
AAafsdATdand the evilH873
ANcfsdATdand have set upH3635
ACANcmpdATdand have joinedH2338
Let it beH1934
ADto the kingH4430
AVui3fsand the wallsH7792
AVti3mpthen they will notH3809
ACANcmsaand you shall endangerH5142
ACANcmsaof the kings.H4430
ANcmscof the palace,H1965
ANcmsdATdand it was notH3809
APdxmswe have sentH7972
ACsearch may be madeH1240
AVpi3msin the bookH5609
ARANcmscof the recordsH1799
ANcmpcASp2msand you shall findH7912
ACAVhi2msin the bookH5609
ARANcmscof the records,H1799
ANcmpdATdand shall knowH3046
ACANcfpaand that they have incitedH5648
AVui3fsand the wallsH7792
ACANcmpdATdof it set up,H3635
ANcmsaand to ShimshaiH8124
ANcmsdATdand to the restH7606
ACANcmscof their companionsH3675
ARANpand to the restH7606
ANcmsaand search has been made,H1240
ACAVpp3mpand it is foundH7912
ANcfsdATdhas risen upH5376
ACANcmsahave been madeH5648
There have beenH1934
ANpwho have ruledH7990
ARANcmscthe country beyondH5675
ANcmsato cause theseH479
ARAVpcand that thisH1791
ANcmsdATdshall be givenH7761
And take heedH2095
AVqv2mpthat you do not failH7960
AVqi3msto the hurtH5142
ARANcfscof the kings?"H4430
ANcmsdATdand their companions,H3675
ANgmpdATdand made themH1994
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved