1. And the LORD said to Abram, “Get out of your country, and from your kindred, and from your father’s house into a land that I will show you.
2. And I will make of you a great nation. And I will bless you and make your name great. And you shall be a blessing.
3. And I will bless those that bless you and curse the one who curses you. And in you shall all families of the earth be blessed.”
4. Then Abram departed, even as the LORD had spoken to him. And Lot went with him. And Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran.
5. And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother’s son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the people that they had gained in Haran. And they went forth to go into the land of Canaan. And they came into the land of Canaan.
6. And Abram passed through the land to the place of Shechem, unto the Oak of Moreh. And the Canaanite was then in the land.
7. And the LORD appeared to Abram and said, “I will give this land to your seed.” And he built an altar there to the LORD, Who had appeared to him.
8. And he moved from there to a mountain on the east of Bethel. And he pitched his tent with Bethel toward the sea and Hai on the east. And he built an altar there to the LORD, and called upon the name of the LORD.
9. And Abram journeyed, going on toward the south.
10. Now there was a famine in the land. And Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there, for the famine was grievous in the land.
11. And it came to pass, when he had come near to enter into Egypt, he said to Sarai his wife, “Behold now, I know that you are a beautiful woman to look upon.
12. And it will be when the Egyptians see you, they shall say, ‘This is his wife.’ And they will kill me, but they will save you alive.
13. I pray you, say that you are my sister, so that it may be well with me for your sake. And my soul shall live because of you.”
14. And it came to pass that when Abram had come into Egypt, the Egyptians saw that the woman was very beautiful.
15. The princes of Pharaoh also saw her and commended her before Pharaoh. And the woman was taken into Pharaoh’s house.
16. And he treated Abram well for her sake. And he had sheep, and oxen, and male donkeys, and male servants, and maidservants, and female donkeys, and camels.
17. And the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram’s wife.
18. And Pharaoh called Abram and said, “What is this you have done to me? Why did you not tell me that she is your wife?
19. Why did you say, ‘She is my sister?’ And so I was about to take her to me as wife. Now therefore, behold your wife. Take her and go your way.”
20. And Pharaoh commanded his men concerning him. And they sent him away, and his wife, and all that he had.
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved