1. Then Isaac called Jacob and blessed him, and commanded him. And he said to him, “You shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.
2. Arise, go to Padan Aram, to the house of Bethuel your mother’s father. And take a wife from there of the daughters of Laban your mother’s brother.
3. And may God Almighty bless you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you, so that you may be a multitude of people.
4. And may He give you the blessing of Abraham, to you and to your seed with you, so that you may inherit the land in which you are a stranger, which God gave to Abraham.”
5. So Isaac sent Jacob away. And he went to Padan Aram, to Laban, son of Bethuel the Syrian, the brother of Rebekah, the mother of Jacob and Esau.
6. Now Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob and had sent him away to Padan Aram in order to take a wife from there—and that as he blessed him, he gave him a command, saying, “You shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan”—
7. And that Jacob obeyed his father and his mother, and had gone to Padan Aram.
8. Now when Esau saw that the daughters of Canaan did not please Isaac his father,
9. Esau went to Ishmael, and took Mahalath the daughter of Ishmael, Abraham’s son, the sister of Nebajoth, in addition to his other wives.
10. And Jacob went out from Beersheba and went toward Haran.
11. And he came upon a certain place, and stayed there all night because the sun had set. And he took one of the stones of that place and placed it at his head. And he lay down in that place to sleep.
12. And he dreamed. And behold, a ladder was set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven! And behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it!
13. And behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, “I am the LORD, the God of Abraham your father, and the God of Isaac. The land on which you lie I will give to you and to your seed.
14. And your seed shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south. And in you and in your seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
15. And, behold, I am with you, and will keep you in every place where you go, and will bring you again into this land, for I will not leave you until I have done that which I have spoken of to you.”
16. And Jacob awoke from his sleep, and said, “Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it.”
17. And he was afraid and said, “How fearful is this place! This is nothing but the house of God, and this is the gate of Heaven!”
18. So Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone which he had put at his head, and set it as a memorial pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.
19. And he called the name of that place The House of God. Bethel But the name of that city was Luz at first.
20. Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “Since God will be with me, and will keep me in the way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to put on,
21. And I come again to my father’s house in peace, then shall the LORD be my God.
22. And this stone which I have set for a pillar shall be God’s house. And of all that You shall give me, I will surely give the tenth to You.”
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved