1. And Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.
2. And when Jacob saw them he said, “This is God’s camp.” And he called the name of that place Two Camps.
3. Now Jacob sent messengers before him to Esau his brother to the land of Seir, the country of Edom.
4. And he commanded them, saying, “So shall you speak to my lord Esau, ‘Your servant Jacob says thus, “I have lived with Laban and stayed until now.
5. And I have oxen and donkeys, flocks, and menservants, and maidservants. And I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find grace in your sight.” ’ ”
6. And the messengers returned to Jacob saying, “We came to your brother Esau, and also he comes to meet you, and four hundred men with him.”
7. Then Jacob was greatly afraid and distressed, and he divided the people with him, and the flocks and herds, and the camels, into two bands.
8. And he said, “If Esau comes to the one company and strikes it, then the other company which is left shall escape.”
9. And Jacob said, “Oh God of my father Abraham, and God of my father Isaac, the LORD, Who said to me, ‘Return to your country and to your kindred, and I will deal well with you.’
10. I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have done to Your servant; for with my staff I passed over this Jordan, and now I have become two bands.
11. Deliver me, I pray You, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau; for I fear him, lest he come and strike me, and the mother with the children.
12. And You said, ‘I will surely do you good, and make your seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.’ ”
13. And he lodged there that night. And he took of that which came to his hand, a present for Esau his brother:
14. Two hundred she-goats, twenty he-goats, two hundred ewes, and twenty rams,
15. Thirty milk camels with their colts, forty cows and ten bulls, twenty female donkeys and ten foals.
16. And he delivered into the hands of his servants, every herd by itself. And he said to his servants, “Pass over in front of me and put a space between herd and herd.”
17. And he commanded the foremost, saying, “When Esau my brother meets you, and asks you saying, ‘To whom do you belong?’ and, ‘Where do you go? And whose are these before you?’
18. Then you shall say, ‘Your servant Jacob’s. It is a present sent to my lord Esau. And, behold, he also is behind us.’ ”
19. And so he commanded the second and the third, and all that followed the herds, saying, “In this way you shall speak to Esau when you find him.
20. And also you shall say, ‘Behold, your servant Jacob is behind us.’ ” For he said, “I will appease him with the present that goes before me, and afterward I will see his face. Perhaps he will accept me.”
21. And the present went over before him. And he himself lodged that night in the camp.
22. And he rose up that night and took his two wives, his two maidservants and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok.
23. And he took them, and sent them over the stream, and sent over what he had.
24. And Jacob was left alone. And a Man wrestled there with him until the breaking of the day.
25. And when the Man saw that He did not prevail against him, He touched the hollow of his thigh. And the hollow of Jacob’s thigh became out of joint as he wrestled with Him.
26. And He said, “Let Me go, for the day breaks.” And Jacob said, “I will not let You go except You bless me.”
27. And He said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.”
29. And Jacob asked and said, “I pray You, reveal Your name.” And He said, “Why do you ask after My name?” And He blessed him there.
30. And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, The face of God saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.”
31. And as he passed over Penuel the sun rose upon him, and he limped upon his thigh.
32. Therefore the children of Israel do not eat of the sinew of the thigh, which is upon the hip-socket, until this day because He touched Jacob’s hip-socket, the sinew of the thigh.
HNcmscof that placeH4725
HNcmscHSp3msto the landH776
And he commandedH6680
HDshall you speakH559
HVqi2mpHSnto my lordH113
HD"I have livedH1481
And I haveH1961
HCHNcfsaAnd I have sentH7971
HRHNcmscHSp1csthat I may findH4672
HNcmsain your sight."’”H5869
And the messengersH4397
HRHSp3msand he dividedH2673
HTdHNcbsaand the camels,H1581
And he said,H559
HTdHNcbsaand strikes it,H5221
HCHVhq3msHSp3msthen the other companyH4264
HTdHNcbsawhich is leftH7604
HNcmpcof my fatherH1
HCHNcmpcof my fatherH1
HVqv2msto your countryH776
HRHNcbscHSp2msand to your kindred,H4138
HCHRHNcfscHSp2msand I will deal wellH3190
I am not worthy of the leastH6994
HTdHNcmpaand of allH3605
HTrYou have doneH6213
HVqp2msto Your servant;H5650
HRHNcmscHSp1csI passed overH5674
HCHDI have becomeH1961
HVhv2msHSp1csI pray You,H4994
HTefrom the handH3027
HRHNcbscof my brother,H251
HNcmscHSp1csfrom the handH3027
HVqi3msand strike me,H5221
HVqp2ms'I will surelyH3190
HVhado you good,H3190
HNcmscHSp2msas the sandH2344
HRHNcmscof the sea,H3220
HRdHNcmsaAnd he tookH3947
HTdHVqrmsato his hand,H3027
HNcmpawith their colts,H1121
And he deliveredH5414
HCHVqw3msinto the handsH3027
HRHNcbscof his servants,H5650
HRHNcmscHSp3msAnd he saidH559
HVqv2mpin front of meH6440
And he commandedH6680
HVqi3msHSp2msand asks youH7592
HRHTido you belong?'H859
HCHTido you go?H3212
Then you shall say,H559
HVqsfsato my lordH113
HRdHNcmsayou shall speakH1696
HNpwhen you findH4672
HTayou shall say,H559
HVqp3ms"I will appeaseH3722
HNcbpcHSp3mswith the presentH4503
HDI will seeH7200
HDhe will acceptH5375
HNcmpcHSp3msand passed overH5674
And when the Man sawH7200
HCHe did notH3808
HRHNcfscof his thigh.H3409
HNcfscHSp3msAnd the hollowH3709
HNcfscbecame out of jointH3363
HCHVqw3fsas he wrestledH79
And He said,H559
HCHVqw3ms"Let Me go,H7971
HVqp3msAnd Jacob said,H559
HCHVqw3ms"I will notH3808
HTnlet You goH7971
HCYou bless me."H1288
And He said,H559
HCyou have strivenH8280
HNcmpaand have prevailed."H3201
HCHVqw3ms"I pray You,H4994
HNcmscHSp2msAnd He said,H559
HPdxmsdo you askH7592
HVqi2msafter My name?"H8034
HRHNcmscHSp1csAnd He blessedH1288
HNcmscof the placeH4725
HCI have seenH7200
HNcbpaand my lifeH5315
HToof the sinewH1517
HTdHNcmsaof the thigh,H3409
HTdHNcmsaof the thigh.H3409
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved