1. And Dinah the daughter of Leah, whom she bore to Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land.
2. And when Shechem, the son of Hamor the Hivite, prince of the country, saw her, he took her and lay with her, and defiled her.
3. And his soul clung to Dinah the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the girl and spoke to the heart of the girl.
4. And Shechem spoke to his father Hamor, saying, “Get me this girl for a wife.”
5. And Jacob heard that he had defiled Dinah his daughter. And his sons were with his livestock in the field. And Jacob kept silent until they had come.
6. And Hamor the father of Shechem went out to Jacob to speak with him.
7. And the sons of Jacob came out of the field when they heard. And the men were furious, and they were very angry because he had done folly in Israel in lying with the daughter of Jacob. And such a thing ought not to be done.
8. And Hamor communed with them, saying, “The soul of my son Shechem longs for your daughter. Please give her to him for a wife.
9. And you make marriages with us, giving your daughters to us, and taking our daughters to you.
10. And you shall live with us. And the land shall be before you. Live and trade in it, and get possessions in it.”
11. And Shechem said to her father and to her brothers, “Let me find grace in your eyes, and whatever you shall say to me I will give.
12. Ask of me what you desire for the price and gift of a bride, and I will give according as you shall say to me. But give me the maiden for a wife.”
13. And the sons of Jacob answered Shechem and Hamor his father, speaking with deceit because he had defiled Dinah their sister.
14. And they said to them, “We cannot do this thing, to give our sister to one that is uncircumcised, for it is a reproach to us.
15. But in this we will agree with you, if you will be as we are, that every male of you be circumcised,
16. Then we will give our daughters to you, and we will take your daughters to us, and we will live with you, and we will become one people.
17. But if you will not hearken to us, to be circumcised, then we will take our daughter, and we will go.”
18. And their words pleased Hamor and Shechem, Hamor’s son.
19. And the young man did not hesitate to do the thing because he had delight in Jacob’s daughter. And he was more honorable than all the house of his father.
20. And Hamor and Shechem his son came to the gate of their city, and talked with the men of their city, saying,
21. “These men are at peace with us. Therefore, let them live in the land and trade in it, for behold, the land is large enough for them. Let us take their daughters to us for wives, and let us give them our daughters.
22. Only on this condition will the men agree to us, to live with us, to be one people, if every male among us is circumcised as they are circumcised.
23. Shall not their livestock and their substance and every animal of theirs be ours? Only let us agree with them, and they will live with us.”
24. And all that went out of the gate of his city hearkened to Hamor and to Shechem his son. And every male was circumcised, all that went out of the gate of his city.
25. And it came to pass on the third day, when they were sore, that two of the sons of Jacob, Simeon and Levi, Dinah’s brothers, took each his sword and came upon the city boldly, and killed all the males.
26. And they killed Hamor and Shechem his son with the edge of the sword, and took Dinah out of Shechem’s house, and went out.
27. The sons of Jacob came upon the slain, and plundered the city because they had defiled their sister.
28. They took their sheep and their oxen and their donkeys, and that which was in the city and that which was in the field.
29. And all their wealth, and all their little ones, and their wives, they took captive, and plundered even all that was in the house.
30. And Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, “You have troubled me to make me a stench among those who live in the land, among the Canaanites and the Perizzites. I am few in number, and they shall gather themselves together against me, and kill me. And I shall be destroyed, my house and I.”
31. And they said, “Should he deal with our sister as with a harlot?”
And when Shechem,H7927
HNcmscof the country,H776
HToHSp3fsand defiled her.H6031
And his soulH5315
HNpand he lovedH157
HNcmscof the girl.H5291
HChe had defiledH2930
HNcfscHSp3msAnd his sonsH1121
HNcmscHSp3msin the field.H7704
HRthey had come.H935
And the sonsH1121
HTdHNcmsawhen they heard.H8085
HRHVqcHSp3mpAnd the menH376
HRHSp3mpand they were veryH3966
HChe had doneH6213
HNpAnd such a thingH3651
HTnto be done.H6213
HNcbscHSp3msof my sonH1121
HRHSp3msfor a wife.H802
And you shall liveH3427
HCHRHSp1cpAnd the landH776
HVqv2mpand trade in it,H5503
HCHVqv2mpHSp3fsand get possessionsH270
HNcmpcHSp3fs"Let me findH4672
HNcmsain your eyes,H5869
HCHTryou shall sayH559
HRHSp1csI will give.H5414
HRHSp1cswhat you desireH3966
HDfor the priceH4119
HCHNcmsaof a bride, and I will giveH5414
HRHTryou shall sayH559
HTdHNcfsafor a wife."H802
And the sonsH1121
HTrhe had defiledH2930
And they saidH559
HRHPdxfswe will agreeH225
HCyou will beH1961
HRHSp1cpare, that everyH3605
Then we will giveH5414
HCHTowe will takeH3947
HRHSp1cpand we will liveH3427
HRHSp2mpand we will becomeH1961
And the young manH5288
HChe had delightH2654
HNcmscof his father.H1
HNcmscof their city,H5892
HNcmpcof their city,H5892
HRHSp1cpTherefore, let them liveH3427
HCHVqi3mpin the landH776
HRdHNcbsaand trade inH5503
HRHNcbpcHSp3mpLet us takeH3947
HCHTolet us giveH5414
HRHPdxfsconditionwill the menH376
HNcmscHSp3mpand their substanceH7075
HTalet us agreeH225
HRHSp3mpand they will liveH3427
HNcmscthat went outH3318
HVqrmpcof the gateH8179
HNcmscof his cityH5892
HNcmscthat went outH3318
HVqrmpcof the gateH8179
HNcmscof his city.H5892
And it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3mson the thirdH7992
HRdHNcmsawhen they wereH1961
HAcmdcof the sonsH1121
HNcmscHSp3mswith the edgeH6310
HRHNcmscof the sword,H2719
HNpout of Shechem'sH7927
HRHNcmscand went out.H3318
HTrthey had defiledH2930
HTrwasin the cityH5892
HTrwasin the field.H7704
HNcmsctheir little ones,H2945
HNcfpcHSp3mpthey took captive,H7617
HTrwasin the house.H1004
HNp"You have troubledH5916
HToHSp1csto make me a stenchH887
HRHVhcHSp1csamong those who liveH3427
HRHVqrmscin the land,H776
HTdHNcbsaamong the CanaanitesH3669
HRdHNgmsaand the Perizzites.H6522
HNcmsaand they shall gather themselves togetherH622
HRHSp1csand kill me.H5221
HPp1csshall be destroyed,H8045
HCHVNp1csmy house and I."H1004
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved