2. For by this kind of faith the elders obtained a good report.
3. By faith we understand that the worlds were created by the word of God, so that the things that are seen were made from things that are invisible.
4. By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it, though he died, he is yet speaking.
5. By faith Enoch was transported so that he would not look upon death, and was not found because God had transported him; for before his departure it was testified of him that he pleased God.
6. Now without faith it is impossible to please God. For it is mandatory for the one who comes to God to believe that He exists, He is everything that He defines Himself to be as revealed in the Word of God.and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
7. By faith Noah, after being divinely instructed by God about the things he could not yet see, was moved with fear and prepared an ark for the salvation of his house; through which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
8. By faith Abraham, being called of God to go out into the place which he would later receive for an inheritance, obeyed and went, not knowing where he was going.
9. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, like a foreigner, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the joint heirs of the same promise;
10. For he was waiting for the city with the foundations of which God is the Architect and Builder.
11. By faith also Sarah herself received power to conceive seed, and gave birth when she was well beyond the childbearing age because she esteemed Him faithful Who had personally promised her a son.
12. Because of this faith, there came into being from one man—and moreover, one who was reproductively dead— descendants as numerous as the stars in the heavens, and as countless as the sand on the sea shore.
13. All these died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them from afar, and having been persuaded of them, and having embraced them, and having confessed that they were strangers and sojourners on the earth.
14. For those who say such things make it manifest that they seek their own country, as promised by God.
15. And if, on the one hand, they had let their minds dwell fondly on the place where they came from, they might have had opportunity to return.
16. But now, on the other hand, they are aspiring to a more excellent country— that is, a heavenly one. Therefore, God is not ashamed to be called their God because He has prepared a city for them.
17. By faith Abraham, when he was being tried, offered up Isaac; and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son
18. Of whom it was said, “In Isaac shall your Seed be called”;
19. Because he reckoned that God was able to raise him even from among the dead, from which he also received him in a figurative way.
20. By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things that were to come.
21. By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshiped God, leaning on the top of his staff.
22. By faith Joseph, when he was dying, spoke of the coming exodus of the children of Israel, and gave a command concerning his bones.
23. By faith Moses, after he was born, was hidden three months by his parents because they saw that he was a beautiful little child; and they did not fear the king’s decree.
24. By faith Moses, after becoming a great leader, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter,
25. Choosing to suffer affliction with the people of God, rather than to enjoy the temporary pleasure of sin;
26. For he esteemed the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt because he was looking intently to the reward.
27. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he persevered, as if he were seeing the One Who is invisible.
28. By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of the blood so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not slay them.
29. By faith they passed through the Red Sea as through a dry land in which the Egyptians, while making the attempt, were swallowed up by the waters.
30. By faith the walls of Jericho fell after being circled for seven days.
31. By faith Rahab the harlot did not perish with those who disobeyed because she had received the spies peaceably.
32. Now what more can I say? For time would fail me to relate the accounts of Gideon, Barak also, and Samson and Jephthah, David also, and Samuel, and the prophets;
33. Who by faith were victorious over kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions,
34. Quenched the fury of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were strengthened from weakness, became mighty in war, and turned back the armies of foreigners.
35. Women received their dead restored to life; and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a superior resurrection;
36. And others endured the trial of cruel mockings and scourgings; yes, and moreover, of chains and imprisonment.
37. They were stoned to death, they were sawed in two, they were brutally interrogated, and slaughtered by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and in goatskins, being destitute, oppressed, and ill-treated;
38. Of whom the world was not worthy; they wandered in deserts and in mountains, living in caves and in holes in the earth.
39. But these all, though they had received a good report through faith, did not obtain the promise
40. Because God had determined in advance to provide something superior for us so that without us they would not be made perfect.
V-RPNby the wordG4487
PREPthe things thatG3588
N-DSMa more excellentG4119
R-GSFhe obtained witnessG3140
V-API-3Sthat he wasG1511
P-GSFthough he died,G599
V-2AAP-NSMhe is yetG2089
T-GSNhe would notG3361
N-GSFit was testifiedG3140
V-RPI-3Sof him that he pleasedG2100
N-GSFit is impossibleG102
CONJit is mandatoryG1163
V-PQI-3Sfor the one whoG3588
CONJthat He isG2076
N-NSMof those whoG3588
N-NSM-Pafter being divinely instructed by GodG5537
T-GPNhe could not yetG3369
V-PPP-GPNwas moved with fearG2125
N-GSFwhich is byG2596
V-PPP-NSMof God to go outG1831
R-ASMhe would laterG3195
ADV-Ihe was going.G2064
CONJhe was waiting forG1551
N-NSMis the ArchitectG5079
V-2AAI-3Swhen she was well beyondG3844
PREPthe childbearing ageG2540
T-ASMhad personally promisedG1861
V-ADP-ASMher a son.
Because of thisG1352
CONJfaith, there came into beingG1080
D-NPNwas reproductively dead—G3499
T-DSNdescendants as numerousG4128
CONJhaving been persuadedG3982
V-APP-NPMof them, andG2532
CONJon the one hand,G3303
PRTthey had let their mindsG3421
V-IAI-3Pdwell fondly onG575
R-GSFthey came from,G1831
ADVon the other hand, they are aspiringG3713
V-PMI-3Pto a more excellentG2909
A-GSFcountry— that is,G5123
V-PXI-3Sa heavenly one.G2032
V-PNI-3Sto be calledG1941
N-NSM-Pwhen he was being tried,G3985
T-ASMonly begotten sonG3439
Because he reckonedG3049
PREPamong the dead,G3498
PREPa figurative way.G3850
N-NSM-Pwhen he was dying,G599
V-AAI-3SGod, leaning onG1909
N-NSM-Pwhen he was dying,G5053
CONJgave a commandG1781
N-NSM-Pafter he was born,G1080
V-2AAI-3Pthat he wasG3588
CONJthey did notG3756
V-2AMP-NSMto suffer afflictionG4778
For he esteemedG2233
CONJhe was looking intentlyG578
CONJif he were seeingG3708
V-PAP-NSMthe One WhoG3588
N-DSFthey passed throughG1224
A-GSFland in whichG3739
N-ASFwere swallowed upG2666
V-API-3Pby the waters.
V-2AMI-3Swith those whoG3588
V-AAP-DPMbecause she had receivedG1209
ADVcan I say?G3004
V-PNP-ASMthe accounts ofG4012
N-GSFwere victorious overG2610
N-APNof the sword,G3162
N-DSMand turned backG2827
CONJthey might obtainG5177
N-ASFof cruel mockingsG1701
They were stonedG3034
V-2AAI-3Pthey were sawed in two,G4249
V-API-3Pthey were brutally interrogated,G3985
N-GSFThey went aboutG4022
CONJliving in cavesG4693
A-NPMthough they had received a good reportG3140
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved