1. And it came to pass when King Hezekiah heard, he tore his clothes and covered himself with sackcloth, and went into the house of the LORD.
2. And he sent Eliakim, who was over the household, and Shebna the scribe, and the elders of the priests covered with sackcloth, to Isaiah the prophet, the son of Amoz.
3. And they said to him, “Thus says Hezekiah, ‘This day is a day of trouble, and of rebuke, and of blasphemy! For the children have come to the birth, but there is no strength to bring forth.
4.It may be that the LORD your God will hear the words of the chief field commander, whom his master the king of Assyria has sent to reproach the living God, and will reprove the words which the LORD your God has heard. Therefore, lift up your prayer for the remnant that is left.’ ”
5. So the servants of King Hezekiah came to Isaiah.
6. And Isaiah said to them, “Thus you shall say to your master, ‘Thus says the LORD,”Do not be afraid of the words which you have heard, with which the servants of the king of Assyria have blasphemed Me.
7. Behold, I will put a spirit in him, and he shall hear a rumor and return to his own land. And I will cause him to fall by the sword in his own land.” ‘ ”
8. So the chief field commander returned, and found the king of Assyria warring against Libnah, for he had heard that he had departed from Lachish.
9. And he heard concerning Tirhakah king of Ethiopia, “He has come out to war against you.” And he heard and sent messengers to Hezekiah, saying,
10. “Thus you shall say to Hezekiah king of Judah, saying, ‘Do not let your God, in Whom you trust, deceive you, saying, “Jerusalem shall not be given into the hand of the king of Assyria.”
11. Behold, you have heard what the kings of Assyria have done to all lands by completely destroying them. And shall you be delivered?
12. Have the gods of the nations delivered those whom my fathers have destroyed:Gozan, and Haran, and Rezeph, and the children of Eden who were in Telassar?
13. Where is the king of Hamath, and the king of Arphad, and the king of the city of Sepharvaim, Hena, and Ivah?’ ”
14. And Hezekiah received the letter from the courier’s hand, and read it. And Hezekiah went up into the house of the LORD and spread it before the LORD.
15. And Hezekiah prayed to the LORD, saying,
16. “O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, Who dwells between the cherubim, You are God, You alone of all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made the heavens and the earth.
17. Bow down Your ear, O LORD, and hear; open Your eyes, O LORD, and see; and hear all the words of Sennacherib which he has sent to mock the living God.
18. Truly, O LORD, the kings of Assyria have laid waste all the countries and their lands,
19. And have cast their gods into the fire, for they were no gods, but the work of men’s hands, wood and stone; so they have destroyed them.
20. And now, O LORD our God, save us from his hand, so that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that You are the LORD, You alone.”
21. And Isaiah the son of Amoz sent to Hezekiah, saying, “Thus says the LORD, God of Israel, ‘Because you have prayed to Me against Sennacherib king of Assyria,
22. This is the word which the LORD has spoken concerning him, “The virgin daughter of Zion has despised you and laughed you to scorn; the daughter of Jerusalem has shaken her head at you.
23. Whom have you mocked and blasphemed? And against Whom have you raised your voice and lifted up your eyes on high? Even against the Holy One of Israel.
24. By your servants you have mocked the LORD and have said, ‘By my many chariots I have come up to the height of the mountains, to the sides of Lebanon; and I will cut down the tall cedars of it, and its choice fir trees; and I will go to its greatest height, the finest of its forests.
25. I have dug and drunk water; and with the sole of my feet I have dried up all the streams of Egypt.’
26. Have you not heard from long ago how I made it? From ancient times, even how I have formed it? Now I have brought it to pass that you should lay waste fortified cities into ruinous heaps.
27. And their inhabitants were of little power—dismayed and ashamed. They were as the grass of the field, and as the green herb, as the grass on the housetops, even grain blasted before it has risen.
28. But I know your dwelling place, and your going out, and your coming in, and your rage against Me.
29. Because of your raging against Me, and your arrogance has come up into My ears, therefore I will put My hook in your nose, and My bridle in your lips, and I will turn you back by the way which you came.” ‘
30. And this shall be the sign to you: You shall eat self-sown grain this year; and the second year that which springs of the same; and in the third year you shall sow, and reap, and plant vineyards and eat the fruit of them.
31. The remnant that has escaped of the house of Judah shall again take root downward and bear fruit upward;
32. For out of Jerusalem shall go a remnant, and survivors out of Mount Zion; the zeal of the LORD of hosts shall perform this.
33. Therefore thus says the LORD concerning the king of Assyria, ‘He shall not come into this city nor shoot an arrow there, nor come before it with shield, nor cast a bank against it.
34. By the way that he came, by the same way he shall return, and shall not come into this city,’ says the LORD,
35. ‘For I will defend this city to save it, for My own sake and for My servant David’s sake.’ ”
36. Then the angel of the LORD went out and struck a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the camp of Assyria. And they rose early in the morning, and behold! They were all dead corpses.
37. And Sennacherib king of Assyria departed, and went and returned, and dwelt at Nineveh.
38. And it came to pass as he was worshiping in the house of Nisroch his god, Adrammelech and Sharezer his sons struck him with the sword. And they escaped into the land of Ararat; and Esarhaddon his son reigned in his place.
And it came to passH1961
HCHVtw3mshimself with sackcloth,H8242
HCHVqw3msinto the houseH1004
HNcmscof the LORD.H3068
And he sentH7971
HAampcof the priestsH3548
And they saidH559
HNcfsaand of rebuke,H8433
HCHNcfsaand of blasphemy!H5007
HNcmsabut there is noH369
HCHNcmsato bring forth.H3205
It may beH194
HNcmpcof the chief field commander,H7262
HNcmpaand will reproveH3198
HVqp3msTherefore, lift upH5375
HTdHNcfsathat is left.'”H4672
HDyou shall sayH559
HTryou have heard,H8085
HNcmpcof the kingH4428
HTmHSp1csI will putH5414
HRHSp3msand he shall hearH8085
HRhis own land.H776
HNcbscHSp3msAnd I will cause him to fallH5307
HCHVhq1csHSp3msby the swordH2719
HRdHNcfsain his own land."H776
So the chief field commanderH7262
HChe had heardH8085
HChe had departedH5265
And he heardH8085
HRHVqc"He has come outH3318
HRHSp2fsAnd he heardH8085
HDyou shall sayH559
HTnlet your God,H430
HVNi3fsinto the handH3027
HRHNcbscof the kingH4428
HTdHNcbpaby completely destroyingH2763
HCHPp2msAnd shall you be delivered?H5337
Have the godsH430
HNcmpcof the nationsH1471
HCHNpand the childrenH1121
HTrwere in Telassar?H8515
HTdHNcmpafrom the courier'sH4397
HRHNcbscand read it.H7121
HNcmscof the LORDH3068
HNpand spread itH6566
HNcfpcof the earth.H776
HTrhe has sentH7971
And have castH5414
HNcmpcHSp3mpinto the fire,H784
HCHNcfsaso they have destroyed them.H6
HVhv2msHSp1cpfrom his hand,H3027
HNcfpcof the earthH776
HTryou have prayedH6419
HTihave you mockedH2778
HTihave you raisedH7311
HNcmsaand lifted upH5375
HRthe Holy OneH6918
HNcmpcHSp2msyou have mockedH2778
HNcmpcHSp1csand have said,H559
HCHVqw2ms'By my manyH7230
HPp1cshave come upH5927
HVqp1csto the heightH4791
HNcmscof the mountains,H2022
HNcmpato the sidesH3411
HNpand I will cut downH3772
HNcfsccedars of it,H730
HNcmpcHSp3msand I will goH935
HCHVqi1csto its greatestH7093
HNcmscHSp3msof its forests.H3293
HNcmpaand with the soleH3709
HRHNcfscof my feetH6471
HNcfpcHSp1csI have dried upH2717
Have you notH3808
HVqp2msfrom long agoH7350
HRHNcmpceven how I have formed it?H3335
HDI have brought itH935
HCHVqj2msthatyou should lay wasteH7582
And their inhabitantsH3427
HCHVqp3cpThey were asH1961
HNcmscof the field,H7704
HNcmsaand as the greenH3419
HNcmscon the housetops,H1406
HNcmpaeven grain blastedH7709
HRHNcbpcit has risen.H7054
HRHSp1csand your arroganceH7600
HCHAamscHSp2mshas come upH5927
HVqp3msinto My ears,H241
HRHNcfdcHSp1cstherefore I will putH7760
HNcmscHSp1csin your nose,H639
HRHNcmscHSp2msand My bridleH4964
HCHNcmscHSp1csin your lips,H8193
HRHNcfdcHSp2msand I will turn you backH7725
HCHVhq1csHSp2msby the wayH1870
HCHPdxmsshall bethe signH226
HRHSp2msYou shall eatH398
HNcmsagrain this year;H8141
HTdHNcfsaand the secondH8145
HCHRdHNcfsathat which springs of the same;H7823
HNcmsaand in the thirdH7992
HCHRdHNcfsayou shall sow,H2232
HCHVqv2mpthe fruit of them.H6529
HNcfscthat has escapedH7604
HTdHVNrfsaof the houseH1004
HCout of JerusalemH3389
HCHNcfsaout of MountH2022
HNcfscof the LORDH3068
HNp'He shall notH3808
HCHTncome before itH6923
By the wayH1870
HVqp3msby the sameHb
HRHSp3fswayhe shall return,H7725
HVqi3msand shall notH3808
Then the angelH4397
HNcmscof the LORDH3068
HAcbsain the campH4264
HNpAnd they rose earlyH7925
HCHVhw3mpin the morning,H1242
HCHTmThey were allH3605
And it came to passH1961
HVhp3cpHSp3mswith the sword.H2719
HCHVqw3msin his place.H8478
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved