1. And it came to pass in the fourteenth year of King Hezekiah, Sennacherib king of Assyria came up against all the fortified cities of Judah and took them.
2. And the king of Assyria sent the chief field commander from Lachish to Jerusalem, to King Hezekiah with a great army. And he stood by the conduit of the upper pool in the highway of the Fuller’s Field.
3. Then Eliakim, Hilkiah’s son, who was over the house, and Shebna the scribe, and Asaph’s son Joah, the recorder, came out to him.
4. And the chief field commander said to them, “Say now to Hezekiah, ‘Thus says the great king, the king of Assyria, “What hope is this in which you trust?
5. I say, ‘You claim to have counsel and mastery for war, but they are only words.’ Now, in whom do you trust, that you rebel against me?
6. Lo, you trust in the staff of this broken reed, on Egypt; on which, if a man lean on it, it will go into his hand and pierce it. So is Pharaoh king of Egypt to all who trust in him.
7. But if you say to me, ‘We trust in the LORD our God;’ is it not He Whose high places and altars Hezekiah has taken away, and said to Judah and Jerusalem, ‘You shall worship before this altar’?” ‘
8. Now then, please exchange pledges with my master the king of Assyria, and I will give you two thousand horses if you are able on your part to set riders upon them for you.
9. How then will you turn away the face of one commander of the least of my master’s servants, and put your trust on Egypt for chariots and for horsemen?
10. Have I now come up without the LORD against this land to destroy it? The LORD said to me, ‘Go up against this land and destroy it.’ ”
11. And Eliakim and Shebna and Joah said to the chief field commander, “Please speak to your servants in Aramaic, for we understand it. But do not speak to us in the Jews’ language in the hearing of the people on the wall.”
12. But the chief field commander said, “Has my master sent me only to your master and to you to speak these words, and not to the men who sit upon the wall—who will yet eat their own dung and drink their own urine with you?”
13. Then the chief field commander stood and cried with a loud voice in the Jews’ language, and said, “Hear the words of the great king, the king of Assyria.
14. Thus says the king, ‘Do not let Hezekiah deceive you, for he shall not be able to deliver you.
15. Nor let Hezekiah make you trust in the LORD, saying, “The LORD will surely deliver us; this city shall not be delivered into the hands of the king of Assyria.” ‘
16. Do not hearken to Hezekiah; for thus says the king of Assyria, ‘Make peace with me and come out to me; and let everyone eat of his vine, and everyone of his fig tree, and everyone drink the waters of his own cistern,
17. Until I come and take you away to a land like your own land, a land of grain and wine, a land of bread and vineyards.
18. Let not Hezekiah mislead you, saying, “The LORD will deliver us.” Has any of the gods of the nations delivered his land out of the hand of the king of Assyria?
19. Where are the gods of Hamath and Arphad? Where are the gods of Sepharvaim? And when have they delivered Samaria out of my hand?
20. Who among all the gods of these lands have delivered their land out of my hand, that the LORD should deliver Jerusalem out of my hand?’ ”
21. But they were silent and did not answer him a word, for the king’s command was, “Do not answer him.”
22. Then Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, who was over the household, and Shebna the scribe, and Joah the son of Asaph, the recorder, came to Hezekiah with their clothes torn and told him the words of the chief field commander.
And it came to passH1961
HCHVqw3msin the fourteenthH702
HNpand took them.H8610
And the kingH4428
HTothe chief field commanderH7262
HNpwith a greatH3515
HRHNcmscAnd he stoodH5975
HCHVqw3msby the conduitH8585
HRHNcfscof the upperH5945
HTdHNcfsain the highwayH4546
HRHNcfscof the Fuller'sH3526
And the chief field commanderH7262
HVqp1cs'You claim to have counselH6098
HTido you trust,H982
HRHSp3msit will goH935
HCHVqq3msinto his handH3709
HRHNcfscHSp3msand pierce it.H5344
HNphas taken away,H5493
HCHRHNp'You shall worshipH7812
HNpand I will giveH5414
HCyou are ableH3201
HVqi2mson your part to setH5414
HCHTithen will you turn awayH7725
HNcmscof the leastH6996
HTdHAampaof my master'sH113
HNcmpcand put your trustH982
HRHNcmsaand for horsemen?H6571
Have I nowH6258
HTdHNcbsato destroy it?H7843
HTdHNcbsaand destroy it.'”H7843
HRthe chief field commander,H7262
HVqrmpait. But do notH408
HRHSp1cpinthe Jews' languageH3066
HNgfsain the hearingH241
HRHNcfdcof the peopleH5971
But the chief field commanderH7262
HCHVqw3ms"Has my masterH113
HNcmpcHSp2msand to youH413
HTdHNcfsawho will yet eatH398
HTotheir own dungH6675
HTotheir own urineH4325
Then the chief field commanderH7262
HCHVqw3mswith a loudH1419
HRHNcmsainthe Jews' language,H3066
HNcmpcof the greatH1419
HChe shall notH3808
HVhj3msin the LORD,H3068
HVNi3fsinto the handsH3027
HRHNcbscof the kingH4428
HRHSp1csand come outH3318
HRHSp1csand let everyoneH376
HCHVqv2mpof his vine,H1612
HCHNcmsaof his fig tree,H8384
HNcmpcofhis own cistern,H953
HVqcHSp1csand take youH853
HNcbsalike your own land,H776
HNpwill deliver us."H5337
HNcmsaof the godsH430
HNcmpcof the nationsH1471
HNcbscHSp3msout of the handH3027
HRHNcbscof the kingH4428
HTiare the godsH430
HCHChave they deliveredH5337
HNpout of my hand?H3027
HNcbscHSp3mpout of my hand,H3027
HNpout of my hand?'”H3027
But they were silentH2790
HCHVhw3mpand did notH3808
HNcmpcof the chief field commander.H7262
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved