1. And Job continued speaking, and said,
2. “Oh, that I were as in months past, as in the days when God watched over me;
3. When His lamp shined upon my head; and when I walked through darkness by His light;
4. As I was in the days of my youth, when the secret of God was upon my tabernacle;
5. When the Almighty was yet with me, and my children were around me;
6. When I washed my steps with butter, and the rock pressed out rivers of oil for me;
7. When I went out to the gate of the city; when I prepared my seat in the square!
8. The young men saw me and hid themselves; and the aged arose and stood up.
9. The rulers refrained from talking, and laid their hands on their mouths.
10. The noble’s voice was subdued, and their tongue clung to the roof of their mouth.
11. When the ear heard me then it blessed me. And when the eye saw me it gave witness to me.
12. For I delivered the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to help.
13. The blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon me; and I caused the widow’s heart to sing for joy.
14. I put on righteousness, and it clothed me; my justice was like a robe and a diadem.
15. I was eyes to the blind and feet to the lame.
16. I was a father to the poor; and the cause which I did not know, I searched out.
17. I broke the fangs of the wicked, and plucked the prey out of his teeth.
18. Then I said, ‘I shall die in my nest, and I shall multiply my days like the sand.’
19. My root was spread out to the waters, and the dew lay all night upon my branch.
20. My glory was fresh in me, and my bow was renewed in my hand.
21. They listened to me, and waited, and kept silent at my counsel.
22. After my words they did not speak again; and my speech dropped on them.
23. And they waited for me like the rain; and they opened their mouth wide as for the latter rain.
24. I smiled on them when they did not believe; and the light of my countenance they did not cast down.
25. I chose out their way, and sat as chief; and I lived like a king in the army, as one who comforts the mourners.”
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved