1. Now before the feast of the Passover, knowing that His time had come to depart from this world to the Father, Jesus, having loved His own who were in the world, loved them to the end.
2. And during supper (the devil having already put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, that he should betray Him),
3. Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God,
4. Rose from supper and laid aside His garments; and after taking a towel, He secured it around Himself.
5. Next, He poured water into a washing basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel which He had secured.
6. Then He came to Simon Peter; and he said to Him, “Lord, are You going to wash my feet?”
7. Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you shall know after these things.”
8. Peter said to Him, “You shall not wash my feet, not ever.” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.”
9. Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.”
10. Jesus said to him, “The one who has been washed does not need to wash anything other than the feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all.”
11. For He knew the one who was betraying Him; this was the reason He said, “Not all of you are clean.”
12. Therefore, when He had washed their feet, and had taken His garments, and had sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you?
13. You call Me the Teacher and the Lord, and you speak rightly, because I am.
15. For I have given you an example, to show that you also should do exactly as I have done to you.
16. Truly, truly I tell you, a servant is not greater than his lord, nor a messenger greater than he who sent him.
18. I am not speaking of you all; for I know whom I have chosen, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled: ‘He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me.’
19. I am telling you at this time, before it happens, so that when it does happen, you may believe that I AM.
20. Truly, truly I tell you, the one who receives whomever I send is receiving Me; and the one who receives Me is receiving Him Who sent Me.”
21. As He was saying these things, Jesus was troubled in spirit, and testified, saying, “Truly, truly I tell you, one of you shall betray Me.”
22. Then the disciples looked at one another, wondering of whom He was speaking.
24. And so, Simon Peter motioned to him to ask who was the one of whom He was speaking.
25. Then he leaned back on Jesus’ chest and asked Him, “Lord, who is it?”
26. Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I shall give a sop after I have dipped it.” And when He had dipped the sop, He gave it to Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son.
27. And after the sop, Satan entered into him. Then Jesus said to him, “What you do, do quickly.”
28. But not one of those sitting at the table knew why He said this to him;
29. For some thought, since Judas had the bag, that Jesus was telling him, “Buy the things that we need for the feast”; or that he should give something to the poor.
30. So then, after receiving the sop, he immediately went out; and it was night.
31. When he was gone, Jesus said, “Now has the Son of man been glorified, and God has been glorified in Him.
32. If God has been glorified in Him, God shall also glorify Him in Himself, and shall immediately glorify Him.
33. Little children, I am with you yet a little while. You shall seek Me; but as I told the Jews, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come,’ I am now telling you also.
35. By this shall everyone know that you are My disciples—if you love one another.”
36. Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, where are You going?” Jesus answered him, Where I am going, you cannot follow Me now; but you shall follow Me afterwards.”
37. Peter said to Him, “Why can’t I follow You now? I will lay down my life for You.”
38. Jesus answered him, “You will lay down your life for Me? Truly, truly I tell you, the cock shall not crow until you have denied Me three times.”
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved