1. There was also a lot for the tribe of Manasseh (for he was the firstborn of Joseph), for Machir, the firstborn of Manasseh, the father of Gilead, because he was a man of war; therefore, he had Gilead and Bashan.
2. There was also a lot for the rest of the children of Manasseh by their families: for the children of Abiezer, and for the children of Helek, and for the children of Asriel, and for the children of Shechem, and for the children of Hepher, and for the children of Shemida; these were the children of Manasseh the son of Joseph, by their families.
3. But Zelophehad the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, had no sons, but daughters. And these were the names of his daughters: Mahlah, and Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah.
4. And they came near before Eleazar the priest and before Joshua the son of Nun, and before the rulers, saying, “The LORD commanded Moses to give us an inheritance among our brothers.” And according to the command of the LORD, he gave them an inheritance among the brethren of their father.
5. And there fell ten portions to Manasseh, besides the land of Gilead and Bashan, which were on the other side of Jordan
6. Because the daughters of Manasseh had an inheritance among his sons. And the rest of Manasseh’s sons had the land of Gilead.
7. And the border of Manasseh was from Asher to Michmethah before Shechem. And the border went up to the right hand to the inhabitants of En Tappuah.
8. Manasseh had the land of Tappuah, but Tappuah on the border of Manasseh belonged to the children of Ephraim.
9. And the border went down to the River Kanah, southward of the river. These cities of Ephraim are among the cities of Manasseh. And the border of Manasseh was on the north of the river, and the boundary was at the sea.
10. Southward it was Ephraim’s, and northward it was Manasseh’s. And the sea is its border. And they met together in Asher on the north and in Issachar on the east.
11. And Manasseh had in Issachar and in Asher Beth Shean and its towns, and Ibleam and its towns, and those who lived in Dor and its towns, and those who lived in En Dor and its towns, and those who lived in Taanach and its towns, and those who lived in Megiddo and its towns, even three regions.
12. Yet the children of Manasseh were not able to occupy these cities, but the Canaanites wanted to live in that land.
13. And it came to pass when the children of Israel had become strong, they put the Canaanites to tribute. But they did not completely drive them out.
14. The children of Joseph spoke to Joshua saying, “Why have you given me but one lot and one portion to inherit, since I am a great people because the LORD has blessed me until now?”
15. And Joshua answered them, “If you are a great people, and if Mount Ephraim is too narrow for you, get up to the forest and cut down more for yourself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the giants.”
16. And the children of Joseph said, “The hill is not enough for us. And all the Canaanites who live in the land of the valley have chariots of iron, those who are of Beth Shean and its towns, and those who are of the valley of Jezreel.”
17. And Joshua spoke to the house of Joseph, even to Ephraim and to Manasseh, saying, “You are a great people and have great power. You shall not have one lot.
18. But the mountain shall be yours, for it is a forest, and you shall cut it down. And the outer limits of it shall be yours, for you shall drive out the Canaanites, even though they have iron chariots and though they are strong.”
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved