1. And it came to pass when all the kings who were on this side of Jordan, in the hills and in the valleys, and in all the coast of the great sea over against Lebanon heard of it, the Hittite, and the Amorite, the Canaanite, the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite,
2. They all with one mind, gathered themselves to fight with Joshua and with Israel.
3. And when those who lived in Gibeon heard what Joshua had done to Jericho and to Ai,
4. They worked slyly, for they came and acted as if they were ambassadors. And they took old sacks upon their donkeys, and old and torn and bound up wineskins,
5. And old and patched sandals upon their feet, and old clothes upon them. And all the bread they had taken was dry and moldy.
6. And they went to Joshua to the camp at Gilgal, and said to him and to the men of Israel, “We have come from a far country. Now therefore, make a treaty with us.”
7. And the men of Israel said to the Hivites, “Perhaps you are living among us, so how shall we make a treaty with you?”
8. And they said to Joshua, “We are your servants.” And Joshua said to them, “Who are you and from where do you come?”
9. And they said to him, “Your servants have come from a very far country because of the name of the LORD your God, for we have heard of His fame and all that He did in Egypt,
10. And all that He did to the two kings of the Amorites who were beyond Jordan, to Sihon king of Heshbon, and to Og king of Bashan, who was at Ashtaroth.
11. And our elders and all those who live in our country spoke to us saying, ‘Take provisions with you for the journey, and go to meet them. Say to them, “We are your servants. Therefore now, make a treaty with us.” ‘
12. We took this bread hot for our provision out of our houses on the day we came out to go to you. But now, see, it is dry, and it is moldy.
13. And these wineskins which we filled were new. And, see, they are torn. And these clothes and shoes of ours have become old because of the very long journey.”
14. And they received the men because of their provisions, and did not ask at the mouth of the LORD.
15. And Joshua made peace with them, and made a treaty with them, to let them live. And the rulers of the congregation swore to them.
16. And it came to pass at the end of three days after they had made a treaty with them, they heard that they were their neighbors and that they lived among them.
17. And the children of Israel journeyed and came to their cities on the third day. Now their cities were Gibeon, and Chephirah, and Beeroth, and Kirjath Jearim.
18. And the children of Israel did not strike them because the rulers of the congregation had sworn to them by the LORD God of Israel. And all the congregation murmured against the rulers.
19. But all the rulers said to the congregation, “We have sworn to them by the LORD God of Israel. Now, therefore, we may not touch them.
20. This we will do to them. We will even let them live, lest wrath be upon us because of the oath which we swore to them.”
21. And the rulers said to them, “Let them live, but let them be woodcutters and drawers of water to all the congregation as the rulers had promised them.”
22. And Joshua called for them, and he spoke to them, saying, “Why have you deceived us saying, ‘We are very far from you,’ when you dwell among us?
23. And now you are cursed, and there shall none of you be freed from being slaves and woodcutters and drawers of water for the house of my God.”
24. And they answered Joshua and said, “Because it was certainly told your servants how the LORD your God commanded His servant Moses to give you all the land, and to destroy all those who lived in the land from before you; therefore, we were very much afraid of our lives because of you, and have done this thing.
25. And now, behold, we are in your hand. As it seems good and right to you to do to us, do it.”
26. And so he did to them, and delivered them out of the hand of the children of Israel, so that they did not kill them.
27. And Joshua made them that day woodcutters and drawers of water for the congregation, and for the altar of the LORD, even to this day, in the place which He should choose.
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved