3. It seemed good to me also, having accurately understood everything from the very first, to write these things in an orderly sequence to you, most excellent Theophilus,
10. And all the multitude of the people outside were praying at the hour of the burning of incense.
11. Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense.
12. And when he saw the angel, Zacharias was troubled, and fear fell upon him.
13. But the angel said to him, “Fear not, Zacharias, because your supplication has been heard; and your wife Elizabeth shall bear a son to you, and you shall call his name John.
14. And he shall be a joy and exultation to you; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
15. For he shall be great before the Lord. And he shall never drink wine or strong drink in any form, but he shall be filled with the Holy Spirit even from his mother’s womb.
16. And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
17. And he shall go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”
20. But behold, you shall be silent and unable to speak until the day in which these things shall take place, because you did not believe my words, which shall be fulfilled in their time.”
21. Now the people were expecting Zacharias, and they were wondering why he was taking such a long time in the temple.
22. But when he came out, he was not able to speak to them. Then they perceived that he had seen a vision in the temple; for he was making signs to them, but he remained mute.
24. And after those days, Elizabeth his wife conceived, but hid herself for five months, saying,
25. “The Lord has intervened for me in this, at the time in which He looked upon me to take away my reproach among men.”
26. And in the sixth month of her pregnancy, the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27. To a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the lineage of David; and the name of the virgin was Mary.
28. And after coming to her, the angel said, “Hail, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you; blessed are you among women.”
29. But when she saw him, she was greatly perplexed at his message, and was considering what kind of salutation this might be.
30. Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, because you have found grace with God;
32. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God shall give Him the throne of David, His forefather;
33. And He shall reign over the house of Jacob into the ages, and of His kingdom there shall be no end.”
34. But Mary said to the angel, “How shall this be, since I have not had sexual relations with a man?”
35. And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit shall come upon you, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow you; and for this reason, the Holy One being begotten in you shall be called the Son of God.
37. For with God nothing shall be impossible.”
38. And Mary said, “Behold the handmaid of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.
40. And entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth.
41. Now it came to pass that when Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit,
42. And she cried out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
43. But why is this happening to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
44. For behold, as soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the babe in my womb leaped in exultation.
45. And blessed is she who has believed, for there shall be a fulfillment of the things spoken to her from the Lord.”
46. Then Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord,
47. And my spirit has exulted in God my Savior;
48. For He has looked upon the humble estate of His handmaid; for behold, from this time forward all generations shall count me blessed,
49. Because the Mighty One has done great things to me, and holy is His name;
50. And His mercy is toward those who fear Him, from generation to generation.
51. He has worked strength with His arm; He has scattered the haughty in the imagination of their hearts.
52. He has put down rulers from thrones, and has exalted the lowly.
53. He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich He has sent away empty.
54. He has helped His servant Israel, in remembering His mercy,
55. Exactly as He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed forever.”
57. Now Elizabeth’s time was fulfilled that she should give birth, and she bore a son.
58. And her neighbors and kinfolk heard that the Lord had magnified His mercy toward her, and they rejoiced with her.
59. And it came to pass on the eighth day that they came to circumcise the little child; and they were calling him Zacharias, after the name of his father.
60. Then his mother answered and said, “No! But he shall be named John.”
61. And they said to her, “There is no one among your kinfolk who is called by this name.”
62. Then they made signs to his father as to what he desired him to be named.
63. And after signaling for a writing tablet, he wrote, saying, “John is his name.” And they were all amazed.
64. Then his mouth was immediately opened, and his tongue was loosed; and he spoke, praising God.
65. And fear came upon all those who dwelt around them; and in the entire hill country of Judea, all these things were being talked about.
66. And all who heard these things laid them up in their hearts, saying, “What then will this little child be?” And the hand of the Lord was with him.
67. And Zacharias his father was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying,
68. “Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, because He has visited and has worked redemption for His people,
69. And has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of His servant David;
70. Exactly as He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets since the world began;
71. Salvation from our enemies and from the hand of all those who hate us;
72. To fulfill the promise of mercy made to our fathers, and to remember His holy covenant,
73. The oath that He swore to Abraham our father; to grant us that,
74. Being saved from the hand of our enemies, we might serve Him without fear,
75. Walking in holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our lives.
76. And you, little child, shall be called the prophet of the Highest; for you shall go before the face of the Lord, to prepare His ways;
77. To give the knowledge of salvation to His people by the remission of their sins,
78. Through the deep inner compassions of our God; in which the dayspring from on high has visited us,
79. To shine upon those who are sitting in darkness and in the shadow of death, to direct our feet into the way of peace.”
80. And the little child grew and was strengthened in spirit; and he was in the wilderness until the day of his appearing to Israel.
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved