1. During this time, an innumerable multitude was gathering, crowding so close together that they were stepping on one another. First of all He began to speak to His disciples, saying, “Guard yourselves from the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy;
2. For there is nothing covered that shall not be uncovered, nor hidden that shall not be known.
3. Therefore, whatever you have spoken in the darkness shall be heard in the light; and what you have spoken in the ear in closed rooms shall be proclaimed on the housetops.
4. But I tell you, My friends, you should not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that are not able to do anything more.
5. But I will show you Whom you should fear. Fear Him Who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into the fire of Gehenna. Yes, I tell you, fear Him!
6. Are not five sparrows sold for two coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God.
7. But even the hairs of your head have all been numbered. Therefore, do not be afraid; you are of greater value than many sparrows.
8. And I tell you, everyone who shall confess Me before men shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God;
9. But the one who has denied Me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.
10. And everyone who shall say a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him; but the one who has blasphemed against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven.
11. But when they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not be anxious about how or what you should reply in defense, or what you should say;
12. For the Holy Spirit shall teach you in that same hour what needs to be said.”
13. Then one from the multitude said to Him, “Master, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”
14. But He said to him, “Man, who has appointed Me a judge or a divider over you?”
15. And He said to them, “Watch out, and keep yourselves from covetousness, for no one’s life is in the abundance of the things that he possesses.”
16. Then He spoke a parable to them, saying, “The ground of a certain rich man brought forth abundantly.
17. And he was reasoning within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to lay up my fruit?’
18. And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my granaries and build greater ones, and there will I lay up all my produce and my good things.
19. Then I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many good things laid up for many years; take your rest, eat, drink, and be merry.” ‘
20. But God said to him, ‘Fool, this night your soul shall be required of you; and to whom will you leave what you have prepared for yourself?’
21. So shall it be to the one who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
22. And He said to His disciples, “Because of this, I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat; nor about your body, what you shall put on.
23. The life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing.
24. Consider the ravens; for they do not sow, nor reap; neither have they a storehouse or granary; but God feeds them. Of how much greater value are you than the birds?
25. And which one of you, by taking careful thought, has the power to add one cubit to his stature?
26. Therefore, if you do not have the power to do even the least, why are you anxious about the rest?
27. Consider the lilies, how they grow; they do not labor, nor do they spin; but I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these.
28. But if God so adorns the grass that today is in the field, and tomorrow is cast into an oven, how much more shall He clothe you, O you of little faith?
29. Then do not be seeking what you shall eat or what you shall drink, and do not be anxious.
30. For all the nations of the world seek after these things; and your Father knows that you have need of these things.
31. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.
32. Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father delights in giving you the kingdom.
33. Sell your possessions, and give alms. Make for yourselves purses that do not grow old, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief can come near, and no moth can destroy.
34. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
35. Let your loins be girded about and your lamps burning,
36. And you yourselves be like men who are waiting for their lord, whenever he shall return from the wedding feast; so that when he comes and knocks, they may immediately open to him.
37. Blessed are those servants whom the lord, when he comes, shall find watching. Truly I say to you, he will gird himself, and will make them sit down, and will come and serve them.
38. And if he comes in the second watch, or comes in the third watch, and finds them watching, blessed are those servants.
39. But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have allowed his house to be broken into.
40. Now you, therefore, be ready; for the Son of man is coming in an hour that you do not think.”
41. Then Peter said to Him, “Lord, are You speaking this parable to us only, or also to all?”
43. Blessed is that servant whom the lord, when he comes, shall find so doing.
44. Of a truth, I tell you, he will set him over all his possessions.
45. But if that servant shall say in his heart, ‘My lord delays his coming,’ and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidservants, and to be gluttonous and become drunk,
46. The lord of that servant will come in a day that he does not expect, and in an hour that he does not know, and will cut him asunder, and will appoint his portion with the unbelievers.
47. And that servant who knew the will of his lord, but did not prepare, nor did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes;
48. But the one who did not know, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For to whomever much has been given, from him shall much be required; and to whom much has been committed, from him they will demand the more.
49. I came to cast fire into the earth, and what will I, if it already be kindled?
50. For I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how burdened I am until it be accomplished!
51. Do you think that I came to bring peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division;
52. Because from this time forward there shall be five in one house divided, three against two and two against three.
53. Father shall be divided against son, and son against father; mother against daughter, and daughter against mother; mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law, and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.”
54. Then He also said to the multitudes, “When you see a cloud rising up from the west, immediately you say, ‘A rainstorm is coming.’ And so it happens.
55. And when a south wind is blowing, you say, ‘It will be hot.’ And it happens.
56. Hypocrites! You know how to discern the appearance of the earth and the sky; how then do you not discern this time?
57. And why even among yourselves do you not judge what is right?
58. For as you are going with your adversary before the magistrate, be diligent to settle with him while you are on the way; lest he drag you off to the judge, and the judge deliver you to the officer, and the officer cast you into prison.
59. I tell you, there is no way that you shall come out of there until you have paid the very last coin.”
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved