2. As it is written in the prophets: “Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, who shall prepare Your way before You.
3. The voice of one crying in the wilderness, ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight His paths.’ ”
4. John came baptizing in the wilderness, and preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
5. And all those of the country of Judea went out, and those of Jerusalem, and were all baptized by him in the Jordan River, confessing their sins.
6. Now John was clothed with camel’s hair and wore a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.
7. And he preached, saying, “The One Who is coming after me is mightier than I, of Whom I am not worthy to stoop down to loose the thong of His sandals.
8. I have indeed baptized you with water, but He shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
9. And it came to pass in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized by John in the Jordan.
10. And immediately, as He was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens open, and the Spirit descending upon Him like a dove.
11. And a voice came from heaven, saying, “You are My Son, the Beloved, in Whom I have great delight.”
12. And soon after, the Spirit compelled Him to go out into the wilderness;
13. And He was there in the wilderness for forty days, tempted by Satan, and was with the wild animals; and afterwards angels ministered to Him.
17. And Jesus said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.”
18. And they immediately left their nets and followed Him.
19. And after moving on a little way from there, He saw James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John; and they were in the ship, mending the nets.
20. And He called them at once; and leaving their father Zebedee in the ship with the hired servants, they followed Him.
21. Then they went into Capernaum. And on the Sabbaths, after going into the synagogue, He straightway taught the people.
22. And they were astonished at His doctrine; for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
23. Now in their synagogue there was a man with an unclean spirit; and it cried out,
24. Saying, “Ah! What have we to do with You, Jesus, the Nazarene? Have You come to destroy us? I know Who You are—the Holy One of God!”
25. But Jesus rebuked it, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him.”
26. And after throwing him into convulsions and crying out with a loud voice, the spirit came out of him.
27. Then all were astonished, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, “What is this? What new teaching is this, that with authority He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey Him?”
28. And His fame swiftly spread into all the country around Galilee.
29. And as soon as they had gone out of the synagogue, they came into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.
30. And Simon’s mother-in-law was lying sick with a fever. And they spoke to Him at once about her.
31. And He came to her, and took her by the hand and raised her up. And immediately the fever left her, and she served them.
32. Now in the evening, when the sun had gone down, they brought to Him all who were diseased, and those who were possessed by demons;
33. And the entire city was gathered together at the door.
34. Then He healed many who were sick with various diseases, and He cast out many demons; but He did not allow the demons to speak because they knew Him.
35. And at the time of the morning watch, while it was still night, He rose up; and going out, He departed into a desert place, and was praying there.
36. And Simon, and those who were with him, went out after Him.
37. And after finding Him, they said to Him, “Everyone is looking for You.”
38. But He said to them, “Let us go to the towns in the neighboring countryside, so that I may also preach there; because I have come for this purpose.”
39. And He preached in all their synagogues in Galilee, and cast out demons.
40. And a leper came to Him, beseeching Him and kneeling down to Him, and saying to Him, “If You will, You have the power to cleanse me.”
41. Then Jesus, being moved with compassion, stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, “I will. Be cleansed.”
42. And as soon as He had spoken, the leprosy immediately departed from him, and he was cleansed.
43. Now after strictly commanding him, He sent him away at once,
44. And said to him, “See that you do not say anything to anyone; but go and show yourself to the priest, and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded, for a testimony to them.”
45. But after leaving, he began to proclaim it extensively and to spread the matter abroad, so that He was no longer able to enter the city openly, but stayed outside the city in desert places; and they came to Him from every region.
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved