1. Now as soon as it was morning, the chief priests took counsel with the elders and the scribes and the whole Sanhedrin; and after binding Jesus, they led Him away and delivered Him up to Pilate.
2. And Pilate asked Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?” And He answered and said to him, “It is as you say.”
3. And the chief priests were vehemently accusing Him of many things; but He answered nothing.
4. Then Pilate asked Him again, saying, “Have You no answer? See how many things they are testifying against You.”
5. But Jesus did not say anything at all, so that Pilate was astonished.
6. Now at the feast he customarily released to them one prisoner, whomever they asked.
7. And there was one called Barabbas, who was bound in chains with those who had made insurrection and who had committed murder during the insurrection.
8. Then the multitude began to shout aloud, urging Pilate to do as he had always done for them.
9. And Pilate answered them, saying, “Do you desire to have me release the King of the Jews to you?”
10. For he knew that the chief priests had delivered Him up because of envy.
11. But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to ask him to release Barabbas to them instead.
12. And again Pilate answered, saying to them, “What then would you have me do with Him Whom you call King of the Jews?”
13. And again they shouted, “Crucify Him!”
14. Then Pilate said to them, “What evil then did He commit?” But they shouted all the more, “Crucify Him!”
16. Then the soldiers led Him away into the court, which is named the Praetorium, and they called together the whole band.
17. And they put a purple robe on Him; and after weaving a crown of thorns, they put it on Him;
18. And they began to salute Him, and kept on saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!”
19. Then they struck His head with a rod, and spit on Him; and kneeling down, they bowed in worship to Him.
20. And when they had finished mocking Him, they took the purple robe off Him and put His own garments on Him; and they led Him out to crucify Him.
21. Then they compelled one who was passing by coming from a field, Simon the Cyrenian, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to carry His cross. Greek stauros means the upper crossbeam of the cross
22. And they brought Him to the place named Golgotha; which is, being interpreted, “The Place of a Skull.”
23. And they were attempting to give Him wine to drink, mixed with myrrh; but He did not take it.
24. And when they had crucified Him, they divided His garments, casting lots for them to see who would take what.
25. Now it was the third hour when they crucified Him.
26. And the inscription of His accusation was written, “The King of the Jews.”
27. And with Him they crucified two robbers, one at His right hand and one at His left.
28. Then the scripture was fulfilled which says, “And He was numbered among lawbreakers.”
29. And those who were passing by railed at Him, shaking their heads, and saying, “Aha, You Who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days,
30. Save Yourself and come down from the cross.”
31. And in like manner the chief priests also were mocking with one another and with the scribes, saying, “He saved others, but He does not have the power to save Himself.
32. The Christ, the King of Israel! Let Him come down now from the cross so that we may see and believe.” And even those who were crucified with Him reproached Him.
33. Now at the sixth hour, darkness came over all the land until the ninth hour;
34. And at the ninth hour, Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which is, being interpreted, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”
35. And after hearing it, some of those who were standing by said, “Look, He is calling for Elijah.”
36. Then one ran and filled a sponge with vinegar, and after putting it on a stick gave it to Him to drink, saying, “Let Him be. Let us see if Elijah comes to take Him down.”
37. And after crying out with a loud voice, Jesus expired.
38. And the veil of the temple was split in two from top to bottom.
39. Then the centurion who stood facing Him, witnessing the words that He cried out as He was dying, said, “Truly this man was the Son of God.”
40. And there were also women who were watching from a distance, among whom was Mary Magdalene; and also Mary, the mother of James the younger and of Joses; and Salome;
41. Who also when He was in Galilee followed Him and ministered to Him; and many others who had come up with Him to Jerusalem.
42. Now evening was coming, and since it was a preparation (that is, the day before a Sabbath This Sabbath was not the 7th day weekly Sabbath. This Sabbath was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread—a holy day Sabbath and fell on a Thursday (See Appendix J and Appendix S).,
43. Joseph of Arimathea, an esteemed member of the council, who himself was waiting for the kingdom of God, came; and he went in to Pilate with boldness and requested the body of Jesus.
44. But Pilate wondered if He were already dead; and after calling the centurion, he questioned him, whether He had been dead long.
45. And when he knew it by the report from the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph.
46. Now he had bought fine linen cloth; and after taking Him down, he wrapped Him in the linen cloth and laid Him in a tomb which had been cut out of the rock. Then he rolled a stone to cover the entrance of the tomb.
47. And Mary Magdalene and Mary, the mother of Joses, saw where He was laid.
CONJas soon asG2112
N-NSNand after bindingG1210
N-ASM-Pthey led Him awayG667
CONJdelivered Him upG3860
P-DSM"It is as youG4771
V-PAP-NSM"Have You noG3756
V-AAM-2Show many thingsG4214
Q-APNthey are testifying againstG2649
R-NPMwas bound in chainsG1210
T-GPMhad made insurrectionG4955
N-GPMand who had committedG4160
V-PAP-NSM"Do you desireG2309
V-PAI-2Pto have me releaseG630
V-PAI-2Phave me doG4160
V-AAS-1Swith Him WhomG3739
CONJdid He commit?"G4160
V-AAI-3Pall the more,G4056
CONJafter he had scourgedG5417
N-ASM-Phe delivered Him upG3860
V-PXI-3Snamed the Praetorium,G4232
CONJthey called togetherG4779
N-ASFwith a rod,G2563
CONJthey had finished mockingG1702
X-ASMwho was passing byG3855
N-NSMof a Skull."G2898
CONJwhen they had crucifiedG4717
P-APNto see whoG5101
PREPHis right handG1188
T-NPMwere passing byG3899
CONJin like mannerG3668
A-APMbut He does notG3756
PRT-Nhave the powerG1410
N-GSM-LLet Him come downG2597
CONJwe may seeG1492
CONJat the sixthG1623
V-AAI-3Swith a loudG3173
PRTafter putting it onG4060
N-DSMgave it to HimG846
V-PAP-NSM"Let Him be.G863
V-2AAM-2PLet us seeG1492
P-GSMwitnessing the wordsG1492
CONJHe cried outG2896
ADVHe was dying,G1606
N-NPFwho were watchingG2334
T-NPFhad come upG4872
N-GSF-Lan esteemed memberG2158
A-NSMof the council,G1010
V-2AAP-NSMand he went inG1525
PRTHe were alreadyG2235
PRTHe had been deadG599
CONJhe had boughtG59
V-AAP-NSMfine linen cloth;G4616
CONJafter taking Him down,G2507
Copyright © 2023 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved