1. At that time Herod the tetrarch heard of the fame of Jesus,
2. And said to his servants, “This is John the Baptist; he has risen from the dead, and that is why these powerful deeds are at work in him.”
3. For Herod had arrested John, bound him and put him in prison, for the sake of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip;
4. Because John had said to him, “It is not lawful for you to have her as your wife.”
5. And he desired to put him to death; but he feared the multitude because they held him to be a prophet.
6. Now when they were celebrating Herod’s birthday, the daughter of Herodias danced before them; and it pleased Herod.
7. Therefore, he promised with an oath to give her whatever she might ask.
8. Then, being urged by her mother, she said, “Give me, here on a platter, the head of John the Baptist.”
9. And the king was grieved; but because of the oaths and those who were sitting with him, he commanded that it be given.
10. And he sent and beheaded John in the prison.
11. And his head was brought on a platter and given to the damsel, and she brought it to her mother.
12. Then his disciples came, and took the body, and buried it; and they went and told Jesus.
13. Now after hearing this, Jesus departed from there by ship into a wilderness place apart. But when the multitudes heard that He had left, they followed Him on foot from the cities.
14. And after going out, Jesus saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion toward them, and healed their sick.
15. Now when evening was approaching, His disciples came to Him, saying, “This place is a wilderness, and the time to eat has already passed; dismiss the multitude so that they may go into the villages and buy food for themselves.”
16. But Jesus said to them, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”
17. But they said to Him, “We do not have anything here except five loaves and two fish.”
18. And He said to them, “Bring them here to Me.”
19. And He commanded the multitude to sit on the grass. Then He took the five loaves and the two fish; and looking up into heaven, He blessed them; and He broke the loaves, and gave them to His disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.
20. And they all ate and were filled; and they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments that were left.
21. Now those who ate were about five thousand men, besides women and children.
22. And immediately Jesus compelled His disciples to enter the ship and go before Him to the other side, while He dismissed the multitude.
23. And after dismissing the multitude, He went up into the mountain apart to pray; and when evening came, He was there alone.
24. But the ship was now in the middle of the sea, being tossed by the waves, because the wind was contrary.
25. Now in the fourth watch of the night, Jesus went to them, walking on the sea.
26. And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled and said, “It is an apparition!” And they cried out in fear.
27. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good courage; it is I. Do not be afraid.”
28. Then Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, bid me to come to You upon the waters.”
29. And He said, “Come.” And after climbing down from the ship, Peter walked upon the waters to go to Jesus.
30. But when he saw how strong the wind was, he became afraid; and as he was beginning to sink, he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”
31. And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
32. Now when they went into the ship, the wind ceased.
33. And those in the ship came and worshiped Him, saying, “You are truly the Son of God.”
34. And after passing over the sea, they came to the land of Gennesaret.
35. And when the men of that place recognized Him, they sent to all the country around; and they brought to Him all those who were sick.
36. And they besought Him that they might only touch the hem of His garment; and as many as touched it were healed.
N-NPFare at workG1754
N-DSFfor the sakeG1223
V-PAP-NSMto put himG846
CONJwhen they were celebratingG71
T-APMwere sitting with him,G4873
V-AAI-3Sthat itbe given.G1325
V-AAP-NPMthat He had left, they followedG190
CONJafter going out,G1831
CONJHe was moved with compassionG4697
N-NSFto eathas alreadyG2235
CONJthat they may goG565
N-ASFto go away.G565
P-DSM"We do notG3756
CONJthey took upG142
N-APMHe went upG305
ADVin the middleG3319
CONJin the fourthG5067
N-GSFthey were troubledG5015
CONJthey cried outG2896
V-PAP-NSM"Be of good courage;G2293
CONJafter climbing downG2597
CONJwhen he sawG991
N-ASMwas, he became afraid;G5399
CONJas hewas beginningG756
V-PPNhe cried out,G2896
P-DSM"O you of little faith,G3640
I-ASNdid you doubt?"G1365
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved