1. Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came to Him, tempting Him and asking Him to show them a sign from heaven.
2. But He answered and said to them, “When evening has come, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’
3. And in the morning, you say, ‘Today it will storm, for the sky is red and lowering.’ Hypocrites! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times.
4. A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, but no sign shall be given to it except the sign of Jonah the prophet.” Then He left them and went away.
5. Now when His disciples came to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread.
6. And Jesus said to them, “Watch out, and be on guard against the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”
7. Then they reasoned among themselves, saying, “It is because we did not take bread.”
8. But when Jesus knew this, He said to them, “O you of little faith, why are you reasoning among yourselves that it is because you did not bring bread?
9. Do you still not understand? Do you not remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets you took up?
10. Nor the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets you took up?
11. How is it that you do not understand that I was not speaking of bread when I told you to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees?”
12. Then they understood that He did not say to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
13. Now after coming into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, Jesus questioned His disciples, saying, “Who do men declare Me, the Son of man, to be?”
14. And they said, “Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.”
15. He said to them, “But you, who do you declare Me to be?”
16. Then Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17. And Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona, for flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but My Father, Who is in heaven.
18. And I say also to you, that you are Peter; (see explanation) but upon this Rock I will build My church, and the gates of the grave shall not prevail against it.
19. And I will give to you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you may bind on the earth will have already been bound in heaven; and whatever you may loose on the earth will have already been loosed in heaven.”(See Appendix O)
20. Then He charged His disciples not to tell anyone that He was Jesus the Christ.
21. From that time Jesus began to explain to His disciples that it was necessary for Him to go to Jerusalem, and to suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and to be killed, and to be raised the third day.
22. But after taking Him aside, Peter personally began to rebuke Him, saying, “God will be favorable to you, Lord. In no way shall this happen to You.”
23. Then He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, because your thoughts are not in accord with the things of God, but the things of men.”
24. And Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and let him take up his cross and follow Me.
25. For whoever desires to save his life shall lose it; but whoever will lose his life for My sake shall find it.
26. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world, but loses his life? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his life?
27. For the Son of man shall come in the glory of His Father with His angels; and then He shall render to everyone according to his doings.
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved