1. “The kingdom of heaven shall be compared to a man, a master of a house, who went out early in the morning to hire workmen for his vineyard.
2. And after agreeing with the workmen on a silver coin for the day’s wage, he sent them into his vineyard.
3. And when he went out about the third hour, he saw others standing idle in the marketplace;
4. And he said to them, ‘Go also into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.’
5. And they went. Again, after going out about the sixth hour and the ninth hour, he did likewise.
6. And about the eleventh hour, he went out and found others standing idle, and said to them, ‘Why have you been standing here idle all the day?’
7. They said to him, ‘Because no one has hired us.’ He said to them, ‘Go also into my vineyard, and whatever is right you shall receive.’
8. And when evening came, the lord of the vineyard said to his steward, ‘Call the workmen and pay them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.’
9. And when those who were hired about the eleventh hour came, they each received a silver coin.
10. But when the first ones came, they thought that they would receive more; but each of them also received a silver coin.
11. And after receiving it, they complained against the master of the house,
12. Saying, ‘These who came last have worked one hour, and you have made them equal to us, who have carried the burden and the heat of the day.’
13. But he answered and said to them, ‘Friend, I am not doing you wrong. Did you not agree with me on a silver coin for the day?
14. Take what is yours and go, for I also desire to give to the last ones exactly as I gave to you.
15. And is it not lawful for me to do what I will with that which is my own? Is your eye evil because I am good?’
16. So the last shall be first, and the first shall be last; for many are called, but few are chosen.”
17. And while they were going up to Jerusalem, Jesus took the twelve disciples aside in the way and said to them,
18. “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of man shall be betrayed to the chief priests and scribes, and they shall condemn Him to death;
19. And they shall deliver Him up to the Gentiles to mock Him, and to scourge Him, and to crucify Him; but He shall rise again the third day.”
21. And He said to her, “What do you desire?” She said to Him, “Grant that these my two sons may sit one at Your right hand and one at Your left hand in Your kingdom.”
22. But Jesus answered and said, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?” They said to Him, “We are able.”
23. And He said to them, “You shall indeed drink of My cup, and shall be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with; but to sit at My right hand and at My left hand is not Mine to give, but shall be given to those for whom it has been prepared by My Father.”
24. And after hearing this, the ten were indignant against the two brothers.
25. But Jesus called them to Him and said, “You know that the rulers of the nations exercise lordship over them, and the great ones exercise authority over them.
26. However, it shall not be this way among you; but whoever would become great among you, let him be your servant;
27. And whoever would be first among you, let him be your slave;
28. Just as the Son of man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.”
29. And as they were going out of Jericho, a great multitude followed Him.
30. And behold, two blind men sitting beside the road, when they heard that Jesus was passing by, cried out, saying, “Have mercy on us, Lord, Son of David!”
31. Then the multitude rebuked them, so that they would be silent. But they cried out all the more, saying, “Have mercy on us, Lord, Son of David!”
32. And Jesus stopped and called them, and said, “What do you desire that I do for you?”
33. They said to Him, “Lord, that our eyes may be opened.”
34. And being moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes; and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed Him.
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved