1. But seeing the multitudes, He went up into the mountain; and when He sat down, His disciples came to Him.
2. And He opened His mouth and taught them, saying,
3. “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
8. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
9. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God.
10. Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11. Blessed are you when they shall reproach you, and shall persecute you, and shall falsely say every wicked thing against you, for My sake.
12. Rejoice and be filled with joy, for great is your reward in heaven; for in this same manner they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
13. You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, with what shall it be salted? For it no longer has any strength, but is to be thrown out and to be trampled upon by men.
15. Neither do they light a lamp and put it under a bushelbasket, but on the lampstand; and it shines for all who are in the house.
16. In the same way also, you are to let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works, and may glorify your Father Who is in heaven.
17. Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill.
19. Therefore, whoever shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever shall practice and teach them, this one shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20. For I say to you, unless your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, there is no way that you shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.
22. But I say to you, everyone who is angry with his brother without cause shall be subject to judgment. Now you have heard it said, ‘Whoever shall say to his brother, “Raca,” shall be subject to the judgment of the council.’ But I say to you, whoever shall say, ‘You fool,’ shall be subject to the fire of Gehenna.
23. For this reason, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
24. Leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
25. Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are in the way with him; lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, and the judge deliver you to the officer, and you be cast into prison.
26. Truly I say to you, there is no way that you shall come out of there until you have paid the very last coin.
28. But I say to you, everyone who looks upon a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
29. So then, if your right eye shall cause you to offend, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is better for you that one of your members should perish than that your whole body be cast into Gehenna.
30. And if your right hand shall cause you to offend, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is better for you that one of your members should perish than that your whole body be cast into Gehenna.
31. It was also said in ancient times, ‘Whoever shall divorce his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement.’
32. But I say to you, whoever shall divorce his wife, except for the cause of sexual immorality, causes her to commit adultery; and whoever shall marry her who has been divorced is committing adultery.
33. Again, you have heard that it was said to those in ancient times, ‘You shall not forswear yourself, but you shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’
34. But I say to you, do not swear at all, neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne;
35. Nor by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet; nor by Jerusalem, because it is the city of the great King.
36. Neither shall you swear by your head, because you do not have the power to make one hair white or black.
37. But let your word be good, your ‘Yes’ be yes and your ‘No’ be no; for anything that is added to these is from the evil one.
38. You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth’;
39. But I say to you, do not resist evil; rather, if anyone shall strike you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40. And if anyone shall sue you before the law and take your garment, give him your coat also.
41. And if anyone shall compel you to go one mile, go with him two.
42. Give to the one who asks of you; and do not turn away from the one who wishes to borrow from you.
44. But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who despitefully use you and persecute you,
45. So that you yourselves may be the children of your Father Who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
46. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not the tax collectors practice the same thing?
47. And if you salute your brethren only, what have you done that is extraordinary? Do not the tax collectors practice the same thing?
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved