1. And the chief fathers of the families of the children of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, of the families of the sons of Joseph, came near and spoke before Moses, and before the rulers, the chief fathers of the children of Israel.
2. And they said, “The LORD commanded my lord to give the land for an inheritance by lot to the children of Israel. And my lord was commanded by the LORD to give the inheritance of Zelophehad our brother to his daughters.
3. And if they are married to any of the sons of the tribes of the children of Israel, then shall their inheritance be taken from the inheritance of our fathers and shall be put to the inheritance of the tribe to which they are received. So it shall be taken from the lot of our inheritance.
4. And when the jubilee of the children of Israel shall come, then their inheritance shall be put to the inheritance of the tribe into which they are received. So their inheritance shall be taken away from the inheritance of the tribe of our fathers.”
5. And Moses commanded the children of Israel according to the word of the LORD saying, “The tribe of the sons of Joseph has said well.
6. This is the thing which the LORD commands concerning the daughters of Zelophehad, saying, ‘Let them marry to whom they think best. Only they shall marry into the family of the tribe of their father.’
7. So the inheritance of the children of Israel shall not be moved from tribe to tribe. For every one of the children of Israel shall keep himself to the inheritance of the tribe of his fathers.
8. And every daughter that possesses an inheritance in any tribe of the children of Israel shall become a wife to one of the family of the tribe of her father, so that the children of Israel may each one enjoy the inheritance of his fathers.
9. And the inheritance shall not move from one tribe to another tribe. But every one of the tribes of the children of Israel shall keep himself to his own inheritance.”
10. Even as the LORD commanded Moses, so the daughters of Zelophehad did.
11. For Mahlah, Tirzah, and Hoglah, and Milcah, and Noah, the daughters of Zelophehad, were married to their father’s brothers’ sons.
12. They were married into the families of the sons of Manasseh, the son of Joseph, and their inheritance remained in the tribe of the family of their father.
13. These are the commandments and the judgments which the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses to the children of Israel on the plains of Moab beside Jordan at Jericho.
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved