BOOK THREE (PSALMS 73-89) (see Appendix B)
A Psalm of Asaph.
1. Truly God is good to Israel, even to those who are pure of heart.
2. But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled; my steps had nearly slipped,
3. For I was envious at the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked,
4. For there are no pangs in their death, and their strength is firm.
5. They are not in trouble like other men; neither are they plagued like other men.
6. Therefore pride is as a chain about their neck. Violence covers them like a garment.
7. Their eyes stand out with fatness; they have more than the heart could wish for.
8. They scoff and speak with malice; in their arrogance they threaten oppression.
9. They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walks through the earth.
10. Therefore waters of abundance are drunk by them.
11. And they say, “How does God know? And is there knowledge in the Most High?”
12. Behold, these are the wicked, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.
13. Surely I have made my heart pure in vain and washed my hands in innocence,
14. For all the day long I have been plagued and chastened every morning.
15. If I say, “I will speak thus;” behold, I would have betrayed the generation of Your children.
16. When I thought to understand this, it was too painful for me
17. Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood their end.
18. Surely You set them in slippery places; You cast them down into destruction.
19. How have they been brought into desolation, as in a moment! They are utterly consumed with terrors,
20. Like a dream when one awakens; so, O LORD, when You awake, You shall despise their image,
21. For thus my heart was grieved and I was pricked in my reins.
22. So foolish was I, and ignorant; I was like a beast before You.
23. Nevertheless I am always with You; You have held me by my right hand.
24. You shall guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
25. Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You I desire none upon earth.
26. My flesh and my heart fail, but God is the rock of my heart and my portion forever,
27. For lo, those who are far from You shall perish; You have destroyed all who go awhoring from You.
28. And me, it is good for me to draw near to God; I have made the LORD God my refuge, that I may declare all Your works.
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved